Thread: So guys, when are we gonna have..........

Advanced Tuner

So guys, when are we gonna have..........

A handheld that we can load a couple of tunes into so our customers don't have to stop by the shop everytime they need a tune switched?

I am willing to be a tester!!!!!

Lifting, lowering, bolt on performance for any vehicle. In house CNC services. Turn key Sand Rails, Quads, ATV, UTV. Wheels and Tires.
    Dynojet 424LC and 250IX Certified Tuning Center
    335 Kietzke Lane, Reno, NV. 89502
    P: 775.327.4400 - F: 775.327.4401 - Email: [email protected]

Advanced Tuner
    Anyone????? Hello?????

Lifting, lowering, bolt on performance for any vehicle. In house CNC services. Turn key Sand Rails, Quads, ATV, UTV. Wheels and Tires.

Advanced Tuner
    Right after the ford/solstice gxp stuff gets done... i assume
    Hopefully this wont cost a lot, i've seen one of those from another company and the price was $400. Pretty pointless if for another $100 you can get the vcm suite.

Quote Originally Posted by shabby
    Right after the ... solstice gxp stuff gets done... i assume
    Me too ... oh and fixed your post for you ...

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by shabby
    Right after the ford/solstice gxp stuff gets done... i assume
    Hopefully this wont cost a lot, i've seen one of those from another company and the price was $400. Pretty pointless if for another $100 you can get the vcm suite.
    I have a few customers that don't want to learn how to tune, they just want to use my tunes without having to come by my shop weekly to change.

Hurry Hurry Hurry.

Senior Tuner
    Why do they need to keep changing their tunes so often? For now, tell them to just buy HPT for $499 and swap them out themselves.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Toys: '22 Tesla Model S Plaid / '20 Chevy Duramax / ?20 Sea-Doo RXT-X (2)

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by RWTD
    Why do they need to keep changing their tunes so often? For now, tell them to just buy HPT for $499 and swap them out themselves.
    I have some customers that use their diesel trucks for work. So one day they are towing a 10,000 pound trailer, and the next they are driving 400 miles to another state. So they came to me to write them a towing tune, a mileage tune, and a performance tune. You can't tow 10,000 pounds with a performance tune, so they need to switch tunes. The diesel trucks are very picky about fuel, and egt's. But I can get 24 mpg out of a 2007 Duramax, and make it pull a house around town.

These guys also don't want to deal with a laptop, interface and issues that come with tuning.

Well, the other problem with telling them to buy the package and do it themselves is the fact that they themselves would have to licence the VCM as well. So you have two interfaces on this planet licensed for the same VCM/vehicle...stupid.

...If only we could transfer licenses O_O

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by gman4dx266
    Well, the other problem with telling them to buy the package and do it themselves is the fact that they themselves would have to licence the VCM as well. So you have two interfaces on this planet licensed for the same VCM/vehicle...stupid.

Good point!

isn't this good business for you? you know, re-writing their tunes?

I mean, I find it hard to comprehend that you're pushing this more than your customers...

although, in this day in age we find companies/owners that put the customer first I guess.
    98' Z28 Camaro M6 / 111,000mi / Cats / Headers / 4.10 / Tremec Performance T56 Rebuild
    SLP Ultra-Z Hood / Functional SLP intake /

Quote Originally Posted by gman4dx266

you could always swap VCMs
    98' Z28 Camaro M6 / 111,000mi / Cats / Headers / 4.10 / Tremec Performance T56 Rebuild

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by rive7390
    isn't this good business for you? you know, re-writing their tunes?

I mean, I find it hard to comprehend that you're pushing this more than your customers...

although, in this day in age we find companies/owners that put the customer first I guess.
    No it is not good business. I already charged them once for all the tunes. I refuse to keep charging them just to do a swap. If they want a new tune, then yes, I would recharge them. I put my customers first, and do not try to nickel and dime everyone for all they are worth.

Quote Originally Posted by sikgmc
    No it is not good business. I already charged them once for all the tunes. I refuse to keep charging them just to do a swap. If they want a new tune, then yes, I would recharge them. I put my customers first, and do not try to nickel and dime everyone for all they are worth.
    I'm not here to question ethics or anything but regardless you are spending YOUR time and YOUR equipment to swap their tunes. The time you are using to do this could be used elsewhere with other customers. I understand you have a relationship with your customers and treat them well but I don't think its out of the question to charge them a small fee for your time and for the use of your invested equipment.

Don't go and change how you handle your business over what I'm telling you but I don't find it completely out of the question to charge a customer for an honest service.

really I don't know why I'm disputing this lol

Advanced Tuner
    I understand your view, but it takes me about 2 minutes to swap a tune. So to me it's not a big deal. It is more of an inconvenience for them to come to me.

I don't know why we are argueing either. Gives us something to do.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I don't know why we are argueing either. Gives us something to do.
    Try texas holdem' lol

It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    I have some customers that use their diesel trucks for work.

These guys also don't want to deal with a laptop, interface and issues that come with tuning.

I agree 100% the gas and car customers basically get their tune and can drive it all over. The only time I get them back is when they have made modifications.

My diesel guys come back and get towing tunes, mileage tunes, performance/pulling tunes. Once I create the specific tunes (which are charged) I also don't charge for swapping tunes, takes almost no time to swap and they have to come out to my shop already, plus it gives me a chance to sell them other stuff

If we could get switchable tunes for the diesel even that would be a big help.