Thread: rich Idle still

Advanced Tuner

rich Idle still

here is a copy of the tune, it starts up fine now and idles great, but of course its still rich as hell at idle, after warm all in order.

I've added my tune plus a stock tune for quicker reference if needed to look at what i've changed thanks.
    Last edited by kevmar; 04-09-2008 at 10:57 PM.

Q: Is it commanding a rich AFR or delivering a rich AFR?
    No scan no idea...
    Always Support Our Troops!

Advanced Tuner
    yeah thats a good ? haha, well when I get off work on sunday I will go home and log the truck from startup.

Tuner in Training
    Subscribing...

My 4.3 Sonoma does the same thing. Rich at idle when cold, but after at operating temps, drops in at 14.7. Couldn't find a table or setting to turn off. Acts like a choke is on???
    Scott Braemer
    2000 NHRA Trans Am - LS1
    2006 Trailblazer SS - LS2
    2008 GMC Sierra Denali - L92

Senior Tuner
    You should have control over time. Increase the timer to return to stoich quicker. Decay vs. start-up ECT. I doubled that table. Higher #'s mean a faster decay. I find that a rich start is good in my cammed application but returning to 14.7 quick is nice too!

PS: Your tune is locked

From the stock tables it looks as though you could lower the ECT #'s to go to stoich quicker as well. In stock form it's looking for 55* ECT to enter closed loop.(Just an idea)
    Last edited by MMGT1; 04-09-2008 at 04:35 PM.

Are you guys rich until closed loop kicks in? I'm assuming fuel trims are OK in the idle range?

Worse comes to worse just lean out the OLFA EQ ratio in the pre-closed loop ECTs.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by MMGT1
    You should have control over time. Increase the timer to return to stoich quicker. Decay vs. start-up ECT. I doubled that table. Higher #'s mean a faster decay. I find that a rich start is good in my cammed application but returning to 14.7 quick is nice too!

PS: Your tune is locked

From the stock tables it looks as though you could lower the ECT #'s to go to stoich quicker as well. In stock form it's looking for 55* ECT to enter closed loop.(Just an idea)
    crap I allways forget about it being locked aha

thanks will change it now.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5_Liter_Eater
    Are you guys rich until closed loop kicks in? I'm assuming fuel trims are OK in the idle range?

Worse comes to worse just lean out the OLFA EQ ratio in the pre-closed loop ECTs.
    like this?

Donno what you changed but you didn't change the table I was referring to. Like this:

This will command 15.5:1 until you enter closed loop, then it will command 14.7:1.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Advanced Tuner
    yes that is what I changed, but just put 1.00 in all the boxes, thanks for the help. Will try that sunday when I get home.

Quote Originally Posted by 5_Liter_Eater
    Donno what you changed but you didn't change the table I was referring to. Like this:

This will command 15.5:1 until you enter closed loop, then it will command 14.7:1.
    What kind of AFR is recommended when the motor is still cold? Im having a terrible fueling issue where my car surges and dies when its cold just putting it in gear and i know it is getting too much fuel just not sure what the AFR is supposed to be when its cold.

Mid 13's when cold is plenty rich for a modern car. However you want to be even richer at 85+ Kpa when cold.
    Always Support Our Troops!