Thread: Boost Control - 2 Bar

Boost Control - 2 Bar

Well, I have searched all over the forum and can't find an answer. Point me to a thread if this has been answered before.

I am adding a rear-mount turbo (60-1 .6/.7AR) to my 2004 SSr 5.3L (LM4). I will be using the 2 Bar SD feature. How do I get the stock VCM to control boost? Is there an existing output on the VCM that I need to wire up to a stepper or solenoid to control the boost? Is this controlled by the Airflow -> Speed Density menu once that becomes active?

Anyway, I don't want to add some aftermarket crap boost control, when the VCM is more than up to the task, so any hints/help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    There is no way that I'm aware of without some real creativity.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Your turbo system should have come with a boost controller of some sort. If not, I would suggest the Turbo Smart EBoost2.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Quote Originally Posted by EC_Tune
    Turbo Smart EBoost2.
    Arrghh! My eyes!!! It hurts!

Could they make it any more obnoxious looking? That thing makes Chris Bangle's work at BMW look (almost) asthetic.

How about this:
    Is there a boosted application that uses the same controller as my SSr? Is there a similar controller that would plug-in (well, not literally, I can move wires around) but supports boost? I don't know of any boosted vortec applications, but the LLY and the STS-V were both blown V8s.

Otherwise, I need to find an unused PWM/PDM output and see what can be done.
    Frank in San Diego
    2007 Cobalt SS 2.4L Auto
    2004 SSr 5.3L Auto
    2001 Express 2500 5.7L Vortec Auto
    1997 Aston Martin DB7 3.2L I6 Blown (EEC-V) 4L80E
    1994 Caprice Wagon LT4, HotCam, Headers, Big MAF
    1989 G20 305cui TBI
    1961 Caddy 383 SBC, Port Injected, DIS ignition
    The others don't have computers...

Why do you want the PCM to control boost so bad? That's the way my Typhoon is via a pwm solenoid, and trust me, it's not all that it's cracked up to be.
    2000 ECSB Sierra, with a lot of tuning to do.

Good point!

Well, I was extrapolating that the VCM is designed and tested to be, pretty much, bullet-proof and the algorithms are pretty sophisticated, so therefor the VCM as a boost controller would be more reliable and sorted-out.

Of course, you are right, this would not apply to the rigging-up of a spare output. That would just be to save the $400.

Also, having all the variables managed by one controller is a basic requirement for having the most stable and predictable system. Multiple controllers, working off of the same inputs but different calibrations and algorithms and controlling the same system, will cause headaches.
    Frank in San Diego
    2007 Cobalt SS 2.4L Auto
    2004 SSr 5.3L Auto
    2001 Express 2500 5.7L Vortec Auto
    1997 Aston Martin DB7 3.2L I6 Blown (EEC-V) 4L80E
    1994 Caprice Wagon LT4, HotCam, Headers, Big MAF
    1989 G20 305cui TBI
    1961 Caddy 383 SBC, Port Injected, DIS ignition
    The others don't have computers...

And no there is nothing similar to your SSR that was turboed/supercharged.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Tuner in Training
    Bringing this back from the dead...

I would like the E67 on a ls3 to control boost in a turbo application, as the car is flex tuned and there has to be different boost profile for e85 and pump fuel.... would be a much nicer solution than having to screw around with separate boost controller and have multiple settings that you guess based on alcohol content only the ecm see's !