Thread: Full throttle shift speed at downshifts?

Full throttle shift speed at downshifts?

The help files say these entries are minimum speed to be met in order to allow the shift, but specifies (upshift only). what about the downshift? Is this also a minimum threshold to be met, or maximum threshold?

thanks in advance.
    99GTP: Flowmasters, ZZP Power log & Ported rear, 9.5:1, Bored over .010, removed balance shaft, Dbl roller chain, Intense S1X, custom ported heads, 45#inj., 105lb springs, 1.7 rockers, A103's, 180-stat, Gen V swap, 97 Cadillac TB & Custom machined alum. spacer, 95 GTP Hood louvers
    97GTP: Stock engine, 95 GTP Hood louvers

I was just experimenting with that as well; trying to get my WOT shifts to go by RPM rather than mph. I think the downshift cells are the inverse. You say shift -speed- so its a little bit trickier than doing it by rpm like me. I believe those are the minimum. I understand it to be something like this. say you're cruising in OD, and you go wot @ 60mph. If your table for the 4>3 kickdown says 65, 65 is not met, so you wont get the shift. But if you're doing 70, it should go. I dont know lol. Just set your shift rpm to 0 or 1, and go from there.

Interesting.. I just got back from an experimental drive session and there are my results.
    I was not getting 4-2 downshifts over 70mph. I checked the tps vs rpm and raised the area where I wanted the downshift to 71. Also lowered my rpm shift speed to correlate and pull me out of gear correctly when I hit max speed in my 2nd gear. I was finally able to get the downshift up to that speed, but nothing if i hit 71mph and above. I tried on the freeway at multiple speeds. I stopped and reflashed with higher limit of 82 mph and redrove. Now It will downshift at 80mph. My process is working so far, so it appears to be under that speed that it will work, and not above. As I said, is working for me, even though i'm not sure this is the correct way to do it.
    99GTP: Flowmasters, ZZP Power log & Ported rear, 9.5:1, Bored over .010, removed balance shaft, Dbl roller chain, Intense S1X, custom ported heads, 45#inj., 105lb springs, 1.7 rockers, A103's, 180-stat, Gen V swap, 97 Cadillac TB & Custom machined alum. spacer, 95 GTP Hood louvers

Advanced Tuner
    Down shift is the inverse.. You have to have a vehicle speed below the said value to downshift.
    97 Grand Prix GTP (not going to bother listing mods in detail) 1 messed up 97 PCM with about 30-50% of a 2003 calibration and parts of a few others.

Quote Originally Posted by bilemke
    Down shift is the inverse.. You have to have a vehicle speed below the said value to downshift.
    Gotcha. Just figured that out after horus of playing with the tables. I finally was able to setup my skip shifts in performance mode. Very nice.
    Thanks for the help guys.