Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's the latest/greatest wideband O2 to tune with?

Man I hate my LC-1. I started another thread with the problem I'm having with it. I'm giving my LC-1 one more chance with a new sensor then I'm running over it with a dump truck if it doesn't work and buying a different wideband.
    Is there much difference in the bosch sensor or NTK sensor? I see the one Russ mentioned can use either sensor...I'm sure others probably can too.

Wanted to bump this and hear any new recomendations for a wideband. I'm planning on buying one in the next month or so and looking for suggestions. If it matters, I still use the DHP Powertuner and will be connecting it to that.

Thanx,
    Krunch
    2002 Monte Carlo SS "Project Intimidator"

[*DHP PowerTuner*] [L36] [180 TStat] [ZZP HVTB] [HV3] [Resonator & U-Bend Delete] [Carsound Hi Flow Cat] [Corsa Catback] [P&P OEM Manifolds] [Precision PT61] [ZZP Trans] [3000 Stall] [2.93 Gears] [F-Body Calipers] [Water-To-Air IC] [AFCO Ford SVT HE] [IAT Post-IC] [Bosch IC Pump] [9.5L System Fluid Capacity]

Advanced Tuner
    if you want a high qulaity unit buy a Autronic B Model with the NTK sensor, that will set you back about $1200usd with the current exchange rate but it will be accurate and very very fast. ive been using one for the last 5 years on my dyno and it works perfectly!

Steve

2007 GMC Canyon Z71-4x4 | 3.7 I5-Auto | 4" Skyjacker suspension lift | 3" Performance Accessories body lift | 33x11.5x17 tires (going 35x12.5x17) | 3.73 gears | 57 K&N | BPi VS | AMS EaAU 6081 | SSK MAF Adapter | NGK AFX w/ NTK WBO2 | AMSoil fluids

BLAH! I think I am more confused now after reading that!

What's with the little box in that kit at the end of the thread link that was posted? Just some sort of junction point or something? A standalone monitor? I'm confused.

I thought I was just looking for a sensor alone that I could connect a couple wires to my Powertuner that has A/D (in my sig, sorry I didn't mention that) that I could create a new window to monitor the value (after using the appropriate equation to display the data) and now use the logged data from the wideband to tune?

Another thing I noticed in that thread, now don't jump on me as I probably don't fully understand, but there were a couple statements in that thread about errors from 0.5 to 1? I thought the whole purpose of having a wideband was to be more accurate than an OEM NB sensor? Dropping or gaining a full point on AFR sounds worse than the error that was obtained using the O2 reading from the NB sensor. Again, I dunno, but more than willing to listen to anyone for some help.

Krunch

[*DHP PowerTuner*] [L36] [180 TStat] [ZZP HVTB] [HV3] [Resonator & U-Bend Delete] [Carsound Hi Flow Cat] [Corsa Catback] [P&P OEM Manifolds] [Precision PT61] [ZZP Trans] [3000 Stall] [2.93 Gears] [F-Body Calipers] [Water-To-Air IC] [AFCO Ford SVT HE] [IAT Post-IC] [Bosch IC Pump] [9.5L System Fluid Capacity]

Thanx, but with all do respect, that kinda sounds like buying a 16 year old kid a Dodge Viper as their first car. While I'm sure it's a good product, I don't think I am justified in such an expense when right now, I have little to no knowledge of the sensor itself or how to tune with it.

Krunch

Quote Originally Posted by VYSSLS1 View Post
    if you want a high qulaity unit buy a Autronic B Model with the NTK sensor, that will set you back about $1200usd with the current exchange rate but it will be accurate and very very fast. ive been using one for the last 5 years on my dyno and it works perfectly!

Yes WBs are more accurate than the NBs. The more accurate the WB the better. NTK sensors are cheap compared to engine replacement and mods if you run too lean and damage the engine. The black box is very handy for easier calibration of the sensor.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20601
    Steve

2007 GMC Canyon Z71-4x4 | 3.7 I5-Auto | 4" Skyjacker suspension lift | 3" Performance Accessories body lift | 33x11.5x17 tires (going 35x12.5x17) | 3.73 gears | 57 K&N | BPi VS | AMS EaAU 6081 | SSK MAF Adapter | NGK AFX w/ NTK WBO2 | AMSoil fluids

Thanx! That one link took me to another thread with a bunch of links! My head hurts already Oh well, I'll have to start reading and push forward I guess Yes, I have read many times, "The OEM NB is only accurate at 14.7:1 hence, WB greatly useful for outside that parameter." That's about all I know about widebands

Krunch

Quote Originally Posted by jackedupcanyon View Post
    Yes WBs are more accurate than the NBs. The more accurate the WB the better. NTK sensors are cheap compared to engine replacement and mods if you run too lean and damage the engine. The black box is very handy for easier calibration of the sensor.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20601

I just got my hands on the latest Innovate LM-2, and so far this unit is pretty damn awesome as far as bells and whistles. The SD card memory is an awesome feature, and the obdii capabilites of it are awesome as well when you working on a car that's not supported by HPtuners scanner.

Innovate has defiantely stepped up their game since the LC1, I spoke with the president of innovate at the sema show this last november, and he definately has heard you guys loud and clear on what you expect out of a wb02.

Check it out for it's features. http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lm2.php

I'd like to see a new comprehensive test with all the latest wb's done here pretty soon so we can see just who's is accurate as of lately compared against the benchmarks in the field.
    Last edited by Fox95; 01-02-2009 at 09:03 PM.
    Roadracing Crew Chief - World Superbike, British Superbike, Moto America.

i just bought the LM-1

I hope to hook it up in the next couple weeks

Hey Phil,

When you get ready give me a call, I found a much easier way to set it up.

Thanks,
    Bob

www.thetuningschool.com 727-264-8875

Written specifically for HP Tuners and your LS based vehicle.

Learn at home, or at one of our live seminars!

personally, myself, I have been thru several widebands....
    the one that I am using now and am the most happy with so far is the
    NGK AFX wideband
    ok on the wallet, and using the same controller as their much higher priced AFM-1000
    I started with the LC1/LM1 - decided that was a joke - too many problems
    I tried a buddies PLX - was unsatisfied with how far off it was from my stock 02's which I had verified were switching at 14.7....and I had offset voltage issues just like the LC1...but the LC1 voltage issues were worse...
    I finally settled on this NGK AFX wideband...
    it's been great..no issues...no weird voltage things, I'm happy
    and its not burning up sensors like the LC1 and PLX did to me...
    -Scott -

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ K View Post
    I use the FJO wideband with the NTK O2 sensor. I've tuned many vehicles with it since 2003. Never had a problem with it.

http://www.fjoracing.com/index.php

Russ Kemp
    x 2 for FJO. Great product, great customer support..... Looks great too!
    MP112 conversion.

2000' Grand Prix GTP