Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Launch Retard

Tuner in Training

Launch Retard

Guys,

I'm relatively new to the tuning world but I'm starting to get my feet wet on my 07 C6 A6.

I did some logs last night at the drag strip and see a dip in the timing advance at launch. I'm assuming this has something to do with TM. Has anyone had any luck getting rid of this dip at takeoff? Can I command a higher advance in the corresponding cells?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Tuner in Training
    Here is my .HPT file and .HPL log file.

Senior Tuner
    I tried adding advance in the applicable cells at launch but still timing was pulled back to negative or very low. Don't know of any way to eliminate launch TM.

I would change your 192* fan setting to 20% or your fan is going to run full time at 50%.

Have you tried to log all the advance/retard PIDs to see which ones are affecting your total timing on launch?

If I read things correctly, your burst KR table may be pulling up to 12*, not sure where the other 8* was pulled (HO table seems to be calling for 20* at the rpm/dyn cyl air you launched at).

2005 Grand Prix GXP - 5.3 LS4 - HP Tuned, MF catback, 1.8 rockers, K&N, Some day I'll finish putting the LS6 intake on

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 8850
    I tried adding advance in the applicable cells at launch but still timing was pulled back to negative or very low. Don't know of any way to eliminate launch TM.

I would change your 192* fan setting to 20% or your fan is going to run full time at 50%.
    8850 - Thanks for the response. I've followed some of your threads and see you have been trying to figure out how to get rid of it.

I will make the change to the fan setting. Did you see anything else in my tune that I can possibly change to get some more power?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredGXP
    Have you tried to log all the advance/retard PIDs to see which ones are affecting your total timing on launch?

If I read things correctly, your burst KR table may be pulling up to 12*, not sure where the other 8* was pulled (HO table seems to be calling for 20* at the rpm/dyn cyl air you launched at).

I'll log the other PIDs. Thanks for the input!!

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by n77nxc
    8850 - Thanks for the response. I've followed some of your threads and see you have been trying to figure out how to get rid of it.

I will make the change to the fan setting. Did you see anything else in my tune that I can possibly change to get some more power?
    I would bump the IAT table so you are not pulling timing at 86*. I can't say how much but I've got my 08 up to 122* with no KR with ambient temps in the upper 80s. Unless you are an experienced tuner, which I am not, you want to go slow and test each change.

Tuner in Training
    I have a 160 degree stat. Should I still change the fan setting to 20%??

Senior Tuner
    I have a 160 degree stat. Should I still change the fan setting to 20%??
    Yes, unless you want the fan running constantly.

If you plan to track it you can use the VCM controls to run the fan in the staging lanes.

Tuner in Training
    Fixe the fan setting. I also zero'd out the Burst Knock and that did not help the dip. Still working on it. Any ideas guys??

The following uses data from frame 2020 of your last log.

HO table is commanding 20*, LO table is commanding 10*, scan shows 1*, no KR, assuming you're operating off the HO table 19* of timing is missing

Your IAT shows as 37*C, your Base IAT Spark table will pull 5* @ that temp and .61g/cyl, no multiplier is active. 14* not accounted for.

ECT base spark table does not affect timing at your ECT of 94*C

Your tune has traction control enabled - specifically TCS spark is enabled, it might be active.

Have you tried to log other advance and retard pids to see if something else is active? Without data, all you can do is guess.

2005 Grand Prix GXP - 5.3 LS4 - HP Tuned, MF catback, 1.8 rockers, K&N, Some day I'll finish putting the LS6 intake on

Tuner in Training
    Anyone else run into this situation and find a solution?

Tuner
    Anyone else run into this situation and find a solution?
    I saw the same thing in my '07 AV. Here is a thread that talks about the Burst Knock Retard vs Cylair Delta table. I am slowly adjusting mine down and seeing a difference. This might be what is causing the missing timing.
    07 Avalanche Exhaust & CAI

Tuner in Training
    BBA has the solution. Big thanks to him for providing a tune that took care of the issue.

Tuner in Training
    BBA has the solution. Big thanks to him for providing a tune that took care of the issue.
    I have been following this thread waiting for a solution. I have the same prob. would you mind sharing what changes in the tune were made ?

Thanks

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by slowgoat
    I have been following this thread waiting for a solution. I have the same prob. would you mind sharing what changes in the tune were made ?

Thanks
    Read this LINK

If you are asking for specifics I halved the numbers in my Burst Knock Retard vs Cylair Delta table. I need to do some more logging before I go after my high flow/low rpm timing. I need to take care of some Knock but first need to read more about the difference between Burst Knock and Total Knock.

I don't have my config with me or I would post it.

I can say even my wife noticed the better throttle response. Her comment does confirm a suspicion I have had for a while why her mpg is WAY lower than when I drive it.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by slowgoat

Thanks
    PM BBA...He can send you the tune. I'd rather him give it to you since its his work. He is a cool guy to work with.

Tuner
    PM BBA...He can send you the tune. I'd rather him give it to you since its his work. He is a cool guy to work with.
    I just reread your earlier post that said you had already zeroed out the Burst Knock table. I missed that the first time through.

Was it his recommendation to adjust the High Flow/Low RPM Timing numbers up that made the difference or something else? Just trying to learn what worked.

Tuner in Training
    Ok guys, here are the results...IT WORKS!!!!!

I didn't set any personal records tonight as far as time (caused by new traction problems ) but I did see a lower 60' time even with the added spin off the line (I have a video). I tweaked Bill's tune a little bit and the graph shows the improvement.

Mods: Vararam, Corsa Extreme, TM removed (with launch fix)
    Tires: Base GY Run Flats

Here are the stats from my best run:

60' 1.9138
    330' 5.2739
    1/8 MPH 90.34
    1/8 ET 7.9806
    1000 ET 10.2877
    1/4 MPH 116.52
    1/4 ET 12.2303

DA: +80

:thumbs:

Senior Tuner
    This must explain all the PM's I just got...

I'll start sending stuff when I get some time to sit with the laptop again, probably not until tomorrow or Saturday.