Thread: A/C compressor won't stay engaged

Tuner in Training

A/C compressor won't stay engaged

Have noticed that now that it is warmer and have tryed using A/C, that when the compressor engages, it bogs the motor down then kicks out. Is there a setting that I may have overlooked that I need to change to correct this? Idle now is set at 850rpm's, but drops alot when A/C engages. Have checked to make sure system has enough freon in it not to cause the clutch on compressor to kick out. Need your help, thanks.
    2002 GMC Sierra Ext. Cab, 2wd, 5.3 & Automatic. Shift kit with Corvette Servo, CAI, Comp camshaft, LS6 valve springs, Gibson headers & catback exh. TCI SF3000 Converter, MAFless with HP Tuners.

Senior Tuner

Re: A/C compressor won't stay engaged

What is the idle rpm for when the A/C is on? It should be about 500 higher then normal (when it is off). Also, what are your A/C dis/engage settings at? Post the screen shots fi you can.

Tuner in Training

I am green at this, hence my name, don't know how to show screen shots. So I looked at my settings and here they are.

Idle speed w a/c on is 850rpm

Disengage or stall saver is set at 600rpm

So if I understand you correctly I should raise the rpm setting with the A/C on by 500 rpm's? What should the stall saver be set at?

Thanks for the help.
    2002 GMC Sierra Ext. Cab, 2wd, 5.3 & Automatic. Shift kit with Corvette Servo, CAI, Comp camshaft, LS6 valve springs, Gibson headers & catback exh. TCI SF3000 Converter, MAFless with HP Tuners.

Tuner in Training

tryed setting the rpm's to 1,100 when the a/c engages, but the compressor still will not stay engaged. If I kept my foot on the throttle to about 1,300 rpm's it would stay engaged, but soon as I took my foot off the gas it would disengage. Don't think that it would be a good idea to have the Idle this high, so is it something to do with airflow instead of just raising the idle rpm's? Any help would be greatfull. Thanks.

Tuner in Training

Get a R134 refill kit from Autozone/Checker - Run about $30 – and check to make sure your compressor pressure is good. Sounds to me like you might be low on freon.
    2001 TransAm WS6 Mods? What mods?

Tuner in Training

will give that a try and see, thought of that too, but if it was low it would seem to me that it would kick out at high speed also. Low pressure switch would not let the compressor run that long with low pressure. Maybe it is a bad switch, have seen those go bad alot too. Nothing lasts forever. Will get back to ya tonight and let you know what I find out. Thanks for the help.

Tuner in Training

but remember - hi rpm wields higher pressure. You get on that brink of just dropping; idle is the first to be effected.
    2001 TransAm WS6 Mods? What mods?