Thread: Launch Spark? Piston Slap Spark? Hmmmmmm!

Tuner in Training

Launch Spark? Piston Slap Spark? Hmmmmmm!

Why is HP Tuners (or is it GM) leading us to believe these settings have no bearing on performance? Both settings sort of lead you to believe only cold start performance is being affected. This is false. My car is more beast-like in acceleration than ever with settings zero'd.

No leading here. Just a clear definition of what it is intended to correct. People like me may get embarrassed when their gas engine clatters like a diesel. GM addressed this with timing changes to reduce the clatter. As automotive is all about the trade offs the trade is performance for less clatter. Look up Hard drive performance or quiet mode settings. Same trade off.

WarWagon is correct. There is no intent to mislead on anyones part here. I havent read anywhere that says those settings wont negatively impact performance. However, If launch spark is screwing you out of getting your leadslead moving then, perhaps its set wrong? I cant imagine piston slap spark doing anything for 'running' performance either. If memory serves (been a while) piston slap uses ECT as one of the axes, which means that it should shut off after the car is warmed up. If THAT is screwing your performance up, then i dont know what to tell you other than dont whip on it until its up to temperature lol

Senior Tuner
    What did you zero and what did it change?

Senior Tuner
    I played with those today, made no difference to me.

I zeroed out the piston slap spark table on my 07 silverado VMAX yesterday just to see what would happen and I did not like the results. I had to kind of get on it when going up a hill and my engine was slapping like crazy. It was not knock either. Just thought I would throw that out there.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by chakoman
    I zeroed out the piston slap spark table on my 07 silverado VMAX yesterday just to see what would happen and I did not like the results. I had to kind of get on it when going up a hill and my engine was slapping like crazy. It was not knock either. Just thought I would throw that out there.

This is interesting. Was your vehicle at normal operating temperature?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by BBA
    I played with those today, made no difference to me.
    I have not done any logging, but the throttle response and tip-in are more immediate with the tables zero'd. I did recently restore the stock Launch Spark settings. It affects how smoothly you can launch the car from a stop, I have an M6.
    These tables are clearly having an effect on driveability when the car is at normal operating temperature. ...and my 2005 vette is making no slapping noise.

My IAT was 50 degrees and my ECT was 176 degrees.

Potential Tuner
    mine is Cyl air mass and RPM so would not shut off when warm and has some high numbers in it.

24 to 28 air mass at 2000 rpm is 7.9453125 8.71875
    9.8203125 11.40625
    12.5703125 13.7578125
    12.5859375 14.2265625
    12.234375 13.2109375
    11.234375 11.703125
    Not sure my cause but my main spark table is normal, but my spark goes up to 32 and 36 Deg ? 1800 to 2200 rpm