Thread: 08 Z06 Cam, boltons need some help

Tuner in Training

Question 08 Z06 Cam, boltons need some help

Hello,

I have a 08' Z06 that I have started modifying. I did the exhaust mods a few months ago but just finished the cam swap yesterday. I have a rough idea on how HP tuners works, but I am having trouble with the lack of a VE table. Maybe I am doing something wrong but I am not sure how to use BLUECAT's program. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I went rather small on the cam until my tuning improves.

Here are the Mods.

Halltech Killer Bee intake
    Kooks 1 7/8 headers
    Catted center section
    Stock Muffler(i pulled the fuse)

223/235 .675/.681 115 lsa Cam

The car idles with a mild surge in rpm, and drives ok with the stock tune other than the Idle raised 75 rpm.

Tuner in Training
    Can anyone walk me through Bluecats program. Any help is greatly appreciated.

You can use bluecats program to see what your stock VE table looks like and create the older style data table. You just plug the #'s from your stock calibration into the equation.txt. Just replace the #'s with the correct ones for your setup. Then the program will spit out a file called table_out.txt that has the older LS2 style information for your VE table (it generates it from the variables you plugged in). That's as far as I've gotten. I haven't had a chance to tune/log my car because the weather sucks here in WV.

Quote Originally Posted by ls14camaross
    the bluecat program worsk from say goign from the Constant KMapĀ² etc. to a ve table that works. but say if u use that same ve table and try to convert it back into constant kmap2 etc it doesnt give u the same value which it should if it worked properly. so its basically its checking your answer and its not coming up with the same answer you came up with before. get what im saying? right now im trying to make a speadsheet that works.
    How close is it?

Tuner in Training
    also you have to build your scanner to log the afr

It does work. I tuned a cammed 08 Z06 with it.

I use a separate file that I licensed a long time ago as a "donor file" to initially create the stock 08 Z06 VE table. Then I save it as the Go By ve table. I mod the VE table as necessary to get the necessary changes in the VE table. Then I copy that VE table to the table.txt. Run program, get new constants, put them in the Editor. Save, prog, rinse, repeat.

You need to feed it all the info including your Zone settings to create your LS1 or LS2 styled VE table. That threw me the first time. And it re-calculates the zone settings for you. Use it's calculations or you'll wonder what you did wrong like I did... LOL
    Always Support Our Troops!

Senior Tuner
    Why don't you just disable the VE altogether and tune it direct MAF.

General, Airflow, Dynamic Airflow, set both High RPM Disable and Re-enable to 0. Now you have direct MAF, just like a Ford.
    Last edited by RWTD; 02-27-2008 at 01:48 AM.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Toys: '22 Tesla Model S Plaid / '20 Chevy Duramax / ?20 Sea-Doo RXT-X (2)

Quote Originally Posted by EC_Tune
    It does work.

That threw me the first time. And it re-calculates the zone settings for you. Use it's calculations or you'll wonder what you did wrong like I did... LOL
    x2

Quote Originally Posted by RWTD
    Why don't you just disable the VE altogether and tune it direct MAF.

General, Airflow, Dynamic Airflow, set both High RPM Disable and Re-enable to 0. Now you have direct MAF, just like a Ford.
    Doesnt seem like the best approach IMO BLUECAT's program works amazing why not use it?
    '00 z28

Quote Originally Posted by SnakesRslow
    Doesnt seem like the best approach IMO BLUECAT's program works amazing why not use it?
    If you have the time to do it right, I'd recommend doing BOTH! Just return the dynamic airflow threshold to stock after dialing in the MAF and enjoy the adaptive correction.

Tuner in Training
    Can anyone walk me through Bluecats program. Sorry to be a pain but I have messed with it for a few days now but can't seem to get it working. The car is running pretty well and I made 515 rwhp and 479 rwtq on the dyno. Do you think this is about all this setup is worth?

Probably pretty close to the limits on HP if you've exercised the AFR & Spark +/-.

BTW: At WOT the MAF will work just fine for finding out the HP of the engine. Drivability will be improved by dealing with the VE constants.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Senior Tuner
    I'm not saying that I disagree with such logic. However, the MAF will work just fine in both CL and OL, for drivability and power production. I have tuned extremely aggressive setups in all 3 modes (SD only, SD/MAF, and MAF only), and haven't seen any less drivability from running MAF only, regardless if it's a '98 to an '08. To each there own.
    Last edited by RWTD; 03-17-2008 at 11:48 PM.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Toys: '22 Tesla Model S Plaid / '20 Chevy Duramax / ?20 Sea-Doo RXT-X (2)