Thread: Procedures for tuning for a cam swap

Tuner in Training

Procedures for tuning for a cam swap

I know the tool is not out yet but im gonna pick up a copy of VCMEdit and try to tune my car after I install a cam in a few weeks. Is there a standard procedure for tuning a cam? Cam specs are 228/230 581 591 112
    02 Z28 M6&&228/230 112 Cam, Flp Long tubes,&&TNT F1, Borla,Spec Stg3, KB SFC\'s, Lca&&Nitto Drags

Re: Procedures for tuning for a cam swap

(assuming no dyno)
    I usually start with 500rpm increments from idle. Do the fuel first with the spark stock. Datalog it with no load (level ground) and with small load, then adjust. Go another 500 and do the same. Once your pretty close at steady RPM's then do the same with a heavy load (if possible). By that I mean a hill ;D
    Then do a half throttle run and check enrichments and stuff. Then to WOT. Remember your load and WOT fuel is different than under no load (cruise). Usually 12.5:1 or so stoch is good under load until you can get on a dyno to tune for power
    Do the same procedure with spark advance - advancing or retarding until there are no knocks. Then fine tune both until you have no knock events and max advance and fuel curves look good. Your trying to get all the cells close to 128 so the PCM can adjust to conditions as it needs.
    Thats pretty much how I do it on our UMP Late Model and older OBDI cars.
    I'm open to suggestions for modifications or even better procedures

also..
    A wide band O2 A/F gauge would be very handy too. I also use a hand-held pyrometer to read header temps
    Business Network Solutions - for all your PC, network, printer and computer security needs.