Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Keep tcc locked in 4th

Advanced Tuner
    165/170! I wish, lol. I see between 180 and 195, I am running a B&M super cooler too! My stall isn't even anything too high either, lol.

I am using one hell of a cooler, slotted/waffled clutches & Kolene steels. All that helps LOL I have a ~2300 stall. I have been through the 'trans died from heat' fiasco before so I wasnt playin around when I built this baby ^_^

Advanced Tuner
    I think I have an answer but I need to test it first. Basically I will run a my 80e on a 60e tune.

Quote Originally Posted by slow67 View Post
    I think I have an answer but I need to test it first. Basically I will run a my 80e on a 60e tune.
    Prolly wont shift out of 2nd...

Advanced Tuner
    I didnt say I wouldnt do any wiring.....I need to add a relay.

Quote Originally Posted by slow67 View Post
    I didnt say I wouldnt do any wiring.....I need to add a relay.
    No I meant for the tune to work correctly, I think thats how it ends up working out if you dont do a segment swap you get stuck in 2nd gear with an 80e. Not sure how you can work around that, wiring or not.

Advanced Tuner
    Solenoid A pattern is the same between 60 and 80. Solenoid B is reversed (off on a 60 when an 80 is on) hence a 5 pin relay to reverse the pattern.

If thats all it takes to solve that, then DAMN thats a frickin sweet trick dude!!

Im still wondering how you would work out the speed sensors as far as the computer getting wrong gear ratio feedback...hmm

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by gman4dx266 View Post
    If thats all it takes to solve that, then DAMN thats a frickin sweet trick dude!!

Im still wondering how you would work out the speed sensors as far as the computer getting wrong gear ratio feedback...hmm
    Thats what I need to test

definitely let us know if you find out anything for sure!

Potential Tuner
    Just joined in and found this thread. I have a 99 Tahoe that stayed locked up with the 4L60. Swapped in a 454/4L80/2500 VCM out of a 98 and now it unlocks every time I coast...would love to find out what you come up with.

Advanced Tuner
    Still no progress on why the 4l80e would un-lock immediately and the 4l60e doesnt? I'm parking it pretty soon here but I was curious if I could get it right before snow flys, lol.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ns158sl View Post
    Still no progress on why the 4l80e would un-lock immediately and the 4l60e doesnt? I'm parking it pretty soon here but I was curious if I could get it right before snow flys, lol.
    Hopefully this weekend my 4L80 will be running normally on a 4L60 tune (and my converter staying locked)........

Advanced Tuner
    Nice! I dunno if I want to switch back to a 4l60e file quite yet though. I just feel there's gotta be a fix through maybe a newer version of HPT. But ya if spring comes and there is still no fix, then that is going to have to be it.

Eric

I feel you guys on the unlocking converters. I've got the same problem with 80 swaps. It's something I deal with everyday on my DD trailblazer. On 60 cals, tcc unlocks with brake input but not low tps. On a 80 cals, tcc unlocks with low tps, but not brake input. On new tcm stuff, 60 or 80, I haven't seen anything unlock from tapping the brakes.

I commend slow67 for doing what he did, as I wanted to do that for lt1 pcms and 4l80's. But I never noticed that it was just inverted and though it would require some manner of conversion box.

Anyway, I'm to stuborn to do that on a ls pcm because I know that its addressable in the software. I started to look for the values a while back and didn't due to lack of time. I might have to bump this up on the priority list since you guys hate it as much as I do.

The trans segments for the ls stuff are relatively small, around 20K, and mostly explored. I know from extensive logging what tps is the min to stay locked. If I focus on the parts that are unknown and bytes that are different between a 60 and 80 cal, I should be able to narrow it down to the bytes that could possible reprosent a tps of that value pretty quickly.

If we can do it by setting the min tcc tps to 0, it should happen quickly. If not then I have to find the switch bit that enables low tps unlock. If the old stuff there was tons of 1 bit switches for "unlock tps with rapid tps increase" "unlock tps with rapid tps decrease" "unlock tps with low tps" "unlock tps with brake input".... I'm sure they all still exist, but no one has documented them. If thats what it takes, I may not be able to do it with logic and trial and error hacking. At that point it will take decompiled sorce code to step through, which I don't have resources of time to do. We'd just have to keep begging Chris to do it.
    Last edited by Bluecat; 09-25-2009 at 06:56 AM.

Oh, and the gear ratios are in there for what your doing slow67. I had to find them for doing 80e's with 2.75 first gears.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluecat View Post
    Oh, and the gear ratios are in there for what your doing slow67. I had to find them for doing 80e's with 2.75 first gears.
    Oh whow that is cool. I ended up getting a p1870 code cruising down the highway with the tcc locked. Im not too bothered with it though, I can tell if my transmission is slipping.

Yeah, it isn't a big deal if you kill that code. So long as your shift speeds are relavent to your gearing it works fine reguardless.

On a side note, The switch that tells the computer that your controling a 60,80, or manual trans is a known thing. Its one of the first few bytes in the trans cal. It's in brand C and E, just not Hptuners. People are warned not to just change that byte as all the other unknow tables differences might cause a problem, but it wouldn't be any more "dangerous" so to speak than what you are doing and you wouldn't have to add a relay to invert the noid. Tcc should work normal as well. No wiring. If I can't find the stuff I'm looking for I might just try that. Take a 60 cal, flip the control switch to 80 and copy every "known" table from a 80 cal to the 60 cal and hope for the best on the rest.