Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Keep tcc locked in 4th

Quote Originally Posted by Blades
    Well.. seems like anything thats rated for towing has this "option" checked by default.. Anyone know if the GTO a4s have this problem?
    Thats homo. I cant see why that'd be related to towing? Repetitive locking and unlocking just makes for an annoying ride, destroys whatever gas mileage you're trying to achieve, adds unneeded wear and increases ATF temps.

EDIT: I'm going to look on the efilive forum in the trans section and see if anyone has run into it on there, and if they fixed it or not.
    Last edited by gman4dx266; 02-22-2008 at 03:05 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Yep my 2002 with a 4l80e and the 2007 with 4l60e both unlock as soon a you lift off the throttle. Doesn't appear to be any way to change this with HP.
    07' Silverado 2500HD, LMM Dmax

Well, I downloaded a demo version of the EFI Live software, and pulled an LL8 envoy file, and I have found 2 interesting parameters, that I think would make a difference and possibly solve our problem, but I'm really not sure. The little tooltips in EFILive are pretty vague(atleast compared to the good stuff im used to haha)

One is TCC Apply Timer, 0 is the stock value. the tooltip says:
    "When this time has been exceeded TCC Apply is finished."

And the second, which I think may be the one we need, is the following:
    TCC Full Lock-Up Enabler; set to 67 default. Tooltip says this:

"When Vehicle speed goes above this value, the PCM will command a full lock up condition on the torque converter."

Perhaps setting this to your lowest 4th gear value would iron things out?

By the way, this parameter has a brother, with the same tooltip but instead the word 'will' is replaced with '...the PCM *CAN* command...'. The stock value for that is 70mph.

Just figured id let you guys know what I found. I dont know if it helps anyone. I hope the HPT programming crew can dig into this and use this info.

EDIT: someone just wrote to me from the EFILive board and drew my attention to another table in the envoy calibration. EFILive has neighboring tables under the 'release' section They have the ones we have that are usually filled with 100% then they have 'brothers' for those. The info for the 4th gear one is the following:
    "Determines the speed at which the TCC will be disengaged in fourth gear." It is set for 42mph in the LL8 file. This confuses me because as i said in earlier posts, you can be doing 90, let off, and get back into it and sure enough,that thing is unlocked.
    Last edited by gman4dx266; 02-23-2008 at 10:30 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Subscribing... my recent 4L80E swap is doing the exact same thing on the freeway... as soon as you lift damn verter unlocks. And my lock on the freeway is neck snapping. I have a Vig 3200 and did perform the converter limit valve mod in the pump as recommended by PI. I have not verified if my pressure is above 180psi at WOT yet... but I will check that out now that I built a gauge setup to do so.

Really looking forward to this problem getting worked out...

Bill :
    Lowered 06 RCSB stock 5.3 with Comp 918 springs/pushrods, custom Full-Race Single with Jose spec'd Turbonetics T66/F1 at 9psi, Home Built 4L80E w/ Vig 3200 - tuned by NicD.
    Lowered 06 Trailblazer LT SWB 5.3 4X4. DOD delete, LS6 heads/cam, Ron Davis rad / w/ Spal fans - tuned by NicD.

Senior Tuner
    This should fix it for you. You can adjust your speed to what ever you like but these speeds were good for me.

Uh, you have no lockup anywhere except at low speeds. I'm not sure about your release speeds. They're about the same as mine. maybe 2, 3 or 4mph off. nothing lifechangingly awesome.

I dont *think* that's it, but for the hell of it, ill type your green numbers in and see what the silvy does for me. Im open to anything and everything. EFILive has not come back with anything for me and neither has support@hpt.

Bill Reid, I know that HAS to be annoying with that vigilante. Triple disk right? When that comes on and locks, im sure it LOCKS.

Thanks guys. If you see or even think of anything, post it up. It may trigger and idea or something. who knows?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by gman4dx266
    Uh, you have no lockup anywhere except at low speeds. I'm not sure about your release speeds. They're about the same as mine. maybe 2, 3 or 4mph off. nothing lifechangingly awesome.

I dont *think* that's it, but for the hell of it, ill type your green numbers in and see what the silvy does for me. Im open to anything and everything. EFILive has not come back with anything for me and neither has support@hpt.

Bill Reid, I know that HAS to be annoying with that vigilante. Triple disk right? When that comes on and locks, im sure it LOCKS.

Thanks guys. If you see or even think of anything, post it up. It may trigger and idea or something. who knows?
    Take a look at your speed at zero throttle position. My table works for keeping the converter locked when letting off throttle as long as you are above 35 mph.

I never wanted mine to lock in any gear other than 4th. Additional wear on the converter.
    Last edited by 8850; 02-28-2008 at 01:53 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Well, I verified my pressure is above 180psi (actual - 190psi) at wide open throttle.

gman, yes... 9.5" triple disk ... and it hammers the lock.

8850, did you apply the same settings for the Normal table over to the Performance table? Did you leave the Cruise table alone?

Thanks
    Bill
    Lowered 06 RCSB stock 5.3 with Comp 918 springs/pushrods, custom Full-Race Single with Jose spec'd Turbonetics T66/F1 at 9psi, Home Built 4L80E w/ Vig 3200 - tuned by NicD.
    Lowered 06 Trailblazer LT SWB 5.3 4X4. DOD delete, LS6 heads/cam, Ron Davis rad / w/ Spal fans - tuned by NicD.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reid
    8850, did you apply the same settings for the Normal table over to the Performance table? Did you leave the Cruise table alone?

Thanks
    Bill
    Here's the tune that keeps the converter locked on deceleration.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks

Advanced Tuner
    8850: Wouldn't be a surprise if this did not work on my truck.. as a 98 Camaro file.. is a Camaro.. I have my fourth release set to 34mph @ 0% and it still releases above 34mph when I let off the gas.

How about your C6? Can you log the behavior of the converter (even if its stock) to see when it releases.. I'm still thinking its a truck specific TCM-OS issue.

Quote Originally Posted by 8850
    Here's the tune that keeps the converter locked on deceleration.
    Thats for your 98 camaro, correct? One question, did it unlock when the car was stock? (if you remember) or did you 'fix' it?

Another thing that just came to me: The HPT guys should be able to find and fix this even if it's not in the editor. I mean, they do segment swaps to go from 4l60s to 4l80's, So im thinking they could just take apart the tcm file for a 4l80 change a bit from a 0 to a 1 (maybe im over simplifying) and compile all back together and you'd have it made in the shade.

If not that, then maybe write another OS to your VCM which natively commands 0% tps locks? Not sure how feasible that would be though; wouldnt that involve licensing another file?

By the way, I noticed that the TCC Locked During Shift does nothing in my cal. Still follows the 'unlock>shift>lock>>unlock>shift' pattern. It is set to enabled in stock form, but whether enabled or not, there is no change. If i start out creeping at about 5mph, and use the scanner to fully lock the tcc, then drop the hammer, it will stay locked 100% thru the shifts and you can TELL it is (rough), so i know that option does nothing in my file. So i dont know if that's related or just something else to put under the 'doesn't work on a 4l80 file' column

Also just to see if there is a trend developing, Could you guys who have this problem post up your "VCM OS ID" that you're running in the VCM?

Mine is "12212156"

I guess a quick and *VERY* dirty temporary fix for this would be to set the throttle blade set screw to have a tiny bit of gas on it all the time, and then go in and mess around with your DFCO to kick in a lil more in a few areas so you dont start running up on peoples trunks. lol
    Last edited by gman4dx266; 03-01-2008 at 09:18 AM.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades
    8850: Wouldn't be a surprise if this did not work on my truck.. as a 98 Camaro file.. is a Camaro.. I have my fourth release set to 34mph @ 0% and it still releases above 34mph when I let off the gas.

How about your C6? Can you log the behavior of the converter (even if its stock) to see when it releases.. I'm still thinking its a truck specific TCM-OS issue.
    Gave my 08 C6 a good test this morning. It stays locked tight as a drum until my speed is reduced to 43 mph. From locked at 65 mph I decelerated, even touched the brake, and the converter stayed locked. At 43 mph the converter releases and the rpm drops immediately to about 600-700 from about 1000 with it locked at 43 mph. I have 2.73 gears.

gman4dx266,

Yes, this was a file for a 98 Camaro. I really don't remember what it did stock.

Tuner in Training
    This should fix it for you. You can adjust your speed to what ever you like but these speeds were good for me.
    FWIW, the TCC apply/release table edit did not help... still unlocks/locks on the freeway

FWIW, the TCC apply/release table edit did not help... still unlocks/locks on the freeway
    I second that. I didn't think it'd work, but i tried them anyways.

Also, I was picking thru some scans of my 06 silverado 4.3 V6/ 4L60 (totaled and no longer in my possession), and fortunately in a couple logs i had tcc status logged, and it DID stay locked in OD. In part of one log I was cruising on the interstate @ approx 70 or 75, coasted and got a --5-- tcc mode (HPT used to report that; i think that meant coast) and as soon as I added throttle there was no 'apply en', just an instant 'LOCKED' with no RPM flare indicating a temporarily unlocked t-con. Am I on to something?

Advanced Tuner
    Hold it in 3rd gear and see if it still does it

Senior Tuner
    Here's my stock 08 Corvette tune that stays locked on deceleration. Might want to give these tranny parameters a try.

Quote Originally Posted by MNR-0
    Hold it in 3rd gear and see if it still does it
    Still unlocks with 0%T

Here's my stock 08 Corvette tune that stays locked on deceleration. Might want to give these tranny parameters a try.
    Thanks, I'll copy the applicable trans stuff and see if I can get anywhere. Im thinking I should post a thing in the feature request area.

There is nothing in common between a 4L80E & the A6 in a C6.

Russ Kemp

Advanced Tuner
    The one to test would be the 05 C6.. E40 pcm, same trans. I'm still thinking its a truck specific thing.. truck with a tow rating.
    2006 Trailblazer SS - Stalled, Cammed, Tuned, Turbo'd, Built, and Stroked.
    Runs on cash, blood, sweat, and tears...... and 93 octane.

2007 Cadillac STS-V - Stock.