Thread: new to HPT

Tuner in Training

new to HPT

I've been using DHP for nearly two years now and for obvious reasons, I now have HPT.

From what a friend of mine who tunes LS1's with HPT, the smoothness of the table is very important and I'm assuming because of the smoothing tools in the histograms, its important.

I'll use the VE table as an example - with DHP, I'd scan my trims etc..and use Eddies table modifier program, it would find the target cells that were causing the + or - condition in the trims and adjust accordingly. This would lead to a "bumpy" tables, but would result in good trims up to I went into PE at 40% throttle. From the help in HPT, a rough VE table is "bad."

Is this acceptable or optimal how it is done in HPT? I've still got to go read and learn how to import the scans and figure out how to make changes accordingly in HPT but I am just curious.
    -2004 Mustang Cobra
    -2004 M6 GTO (Wife's)
    -1996 3100 Lumina w/97 PCM (beater)

Advanced Tuner
    Good trims over "good looking tables" for me any day of the week.

Only exception would be the MAF table. You always want smooth transitions without any major peaks or dips. However, I am not keen on how the HPT smooths tables, I would still prefer to do those little things manually and retain control over the results rather than let the program decide for me. Its still a nice option, and likely something that the V8 guys can take advantage of.
    Last edited by JerryH; 01-23-2008 at 07:53 AM.
    '99 Black GTP Sedan
    3.4-2.6" PB Quick Change pulleys, Custom CAI, XP Cam, N* TB, LQ4 MAF, SLP headers, 42.5# Injectors, 180/195* thermostat.

13.501 @ 103.392 on 91 (2.4 60-foot).
    13.82 @ 105.28 on 87 octane! (2.42 60-foot).
    263kph top end as shown on the GPS.
    All this and 39MPG to boot. What more can a man ask for?
    * Just another enthusiastic amateur tuner! *

I've used smoothing quite a bit for timing table and PE Add vs. RPM. I think those two tables benefit most from this feature.

2000 Regal GS | Twin-Charged T72 | HPT Pro + PLX Wideband | 12.55 @ 110 on 15psi | Now running 20psi on E85!

1998 5.9L Durango | Powerdyne supercharger @6psi | Mesa Headers | Gibson Cat-back | 1.7 RR's | Tuned PCM | Ported Heads | Custom TB & Intake | Custom fuel rails | Rebuild coming soon...

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryH
    Good trims over "good looking tables" for me any day of the week.

Only exception would be the MAF table. You always want smooth transitions without any major peaks or dips. However, I am not keen on how the HPT smooths tables, I would still prefer to do those little things manually and retain control over the results rather than let the program decide for me. Its still a nice option, and likely something that the V8 guys can take advantage of.
    Jerry, do you mind posting a screen shot of your VE table's histogram?

Right now, my VE table is stock because I don't have any valvetrain mods. I just have a 3.4, ported inlet/outlet gen 3, 73mm throttle body, TOG headers and the ZZP Catted TOG downpipe.

I know comparing the LSx motors to the 3800's is like apples to oranges, I just didn't know if that was an HPT community thing or what.
    -2004 Mustang Cobra
    -2004 M6 GTO (Wife's)

Advanced Tuner
    Can't do it at this time for a couple of simple reasons... first, I've not used the HPT on my car yet. We've been in and out of snow storms near consistantly for the whole month of January and I need time to do my exhaust before I flash and start using the HPT.

Second, seeing my VE table won't help you one bit for the simple reason that you do not have my EXACT mods or even like run on 87 like I do.

I will tell you that my VE is WAY different from stock. Yes it has big peaks and valleys. I tune my VE to be be as close to 0 as I can. I consider between 0 and -3 acceptable.

BTW, tuning VE on the HPT or PT... same thing. A VE table is a VE table.
    Last edited by JerryH; 01-23-2008 at 05:59 PM.
    '99 Black GTP Sedan
    3.4-2.6" PB Quick Change pulleys, Custom CAI, XP Cam, N* TB, LQ4 MAF, SLP headers, 42.5# Injectors, 180/195* thermostat.

I was gonna post my first post in the lounge but, not sure how many people visit the introductions thread on a regular basis so...na...So, allow this to be my post.

First off, a quick hello to some friends from the "Other" tuning board :P

Hello Jerry, hello Eddie...did I miss anyone else? Are you guys up to 45 mpg and 400 hp yet?

Anyway, eventually I'll probably pick up an HPT, but still being fairly new to tuning, and after sinking a lot of time into reading the "Other" forum, I will likley continue to use "That" tuner until is does me no more good. Plus, don't really have the money right now for a new tuner as I have all my parts for my custom water-to-air IC currently in transit! Plus a B&M tranny cooler with a fan and an external tranny thermostat to allow faster fluid warmup, then diverts the tranny fluid through the cooler beyond about 175 F. I am happy right now, but expect me over here full-time, sometime in the future.

You may or may not see me a lot yet, but I will be around.

Peace out!
    Krunch
    2002 Monte Carlo SS "Project Intimidator"

[*DHP PowerTuner*] [L36] [180 TStat] [ZZP HVTB] [HV3] [Resonator & U-Bend Delete] [Carsound Hi Flow Cat] [Corsa Catback] [P&P OEM Manifolds] [Precision PT61] [ZZP Trans] [3000 Stall] [2.93 Gears] [F-Body Calipers] [Water-To-Air IC] [AFCO Ford SVT HE] [IAT Post-IC] [Bosch IC Pump] [9.5L System Fluid Capacity]

Tuner in Training
    Jerry you answered my questions. I didn't want to use your VE table in my file, I just wanted to see if it had mountains and valley's.

Now I just need to learn how to start tuning with HPT.
    -2004 Mustang Cobra
    -2004 M6 GTO (Wife's)

Advanced Tuner
    Massive... like the Adirondacks... lol.

A pic of the valleys at about the 4th iteration of a 10 step VE tune:

BTW, hey Dwayne, nice to see you here! I'm not going to ask you how the car is running, I know you have her all packed away till spring... lol.
    Last edited by JerryH; 01-24-2008 at 06:39 PM.
    '99 Black GTP Sedan

Thanx Jerry! Yeah, just waiting on parts right now for IC and tranny cooler. Don't worry, you'll get some feedback in the spring when she comes out of the garage...Already I feel more confident about tuning, and looking forward to it...Sorry to hijack...continue

Krunch
    2002 Monte Carlo SS "Project Intimidator"

[*DHP PowerTuner*] [L36] [180 TStat] [ZZP HVTB] [HV3] [Resonator & U-Bend Delete] [Carsound Hi Flow Cat] [Corsa Catback] [P&P OEM Manifolds] [Precision PT61] [ZZP Trans] [3000 Stall] [2.93 Gears] [F-Body Calipers] [Water-To-Air IC] [AFCO Ford SVT HE] [IAT Post-IC] [Bosch IC Pump] [9.5L System Fluid Capacity]

i know this is a side note... but has anyone used a wideband to help tune VE? i have made a sheet to use WB info to dial in the Open loop AF table. and that has helped to keep my trims spot on!

again i have a 96 3.4L DOHC and my car never responded to VE tuning following any write up i have seen... tried pretty much all of them and no luck. ended up guessing and estimating what i felt they should be... helped some but im sure it could be better.