Thread: placement of my wideband and other noob questions

placement of my wideband and other noob questions

ok, i just got done searching about the plx wideband. mine will be here tomorrow, and will get installed on saturday. now, i have longtubes and am running the stock o2 sensors. i do not want to/will not remove them. however, i have a magnaflow x pipe that is about 8 inches away from the end of the headers with 2 o2 bungs(supposed to be for rear o2's) that i would like to use. is this an ideal spot to put the wideband, or is it too far away? i am going to keep the one side(drivers side) hooked up and plugged in, but turned off via hptuners when i get it tuesday(delivered) and then just put the wideband in the passenger side(leanest side)

also, since i wont have hp tuners till tuesday, will i have to uninstall the wideband if i install it all saturday with the guage? sorry for the stupid questions, but i have never even seen hp tuners yet, so i am not familiar with most of the stuff it has to offer... only what i have read!

ok, i have my wideband sitting in front of me... kinda looks confusing since i dont have hptuners yet.

its the plx one. are there any how to's to install with the guage(since most likely i cant hook up to hp tuners yet) also, where should i splice into for the power source? where should i ground it to?

the guage has 3 sets of wires, two should be easy enough to figure out but the other has me confused. its the one that plugs into the analog plug in(4 pin connector) and only has 1 wire in it. the other wire(black, no stripe) is just laying outside the connector. what do i do with that?

wow, i guess i have an unanswerable question. ive searched high and low, no one can tell me anything. i know you people have these installed, ill pay for pictures of where to connect stuff!

none of the "install guides" if you can call them that, are even close to being helpful except the how to install through egr(if you own a gto, which i dont) and i pretty much have a 225 dollar wideband thats worthless because no one knows how to install it...

Advanced Tuner
    Did you not get any information with the wideband kit? I would think there should be installation instructions at least.
    -Eddie

1998 GTP - 3.4 [3.2] [3.0] MPS - custom CAI - F.1 Ram Air hood - XP Cam - Ported Heads - 1.84/1.60 Si valves - 1.6 HS Roller Rockers - 72mm Ported TB - LQ4 MAF - 42.5# Lucas Injectors - Pacesetters
    1/4 PB - 13.025 @ 106.81 MPH w/ 2.069 60'
    2021 Chevrolet Colorado 2.8 Baby Duramax

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by joshz06
    ok, i have my wideband sitting in front of me... kinda looks confusing since i dont have hptuners yet.

its the plx one. are there any how to's to install with the guage(since most likely i cant hook up to hp tuners yet) also, where should i splice into for the power source? where should i ground it to?

the guage has 3 sets of wires, two should be easy enough to figure out but the other has me confused. its the one that plugs into the analog plug in(4 pin connector) and only has 1 wire in it. the other wire(black, no stripe) is just laying outside the connector. what do i do with that?
    This wideband is very easy to install it should of come with instructions, but if not they are available on the PLX website. http://www.plxdevices.com/M-Series_installation.htm

I can't tell you exactly where to get your power from, but about any source for 12v should work and for a ground find a good solid paint free place on the body or frame.

For the gauge the black wire with the white stripe goes to the 4 pin plug in the controller box for the 3.3v power output. The other wire is only used if you want the gauge to read in lambda instead of the normal ratio reading. I suspect most people don't hook that wire to anything. The male plug from the gauge goes to the TX hole in the controller and the female plug is not used unless you have multiple gauges or units.

Also you will not need to make any changes after you get HPT. The wire for the wideband output in the 4 pin plug goes to the input for the HPT hardware in order to log.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie-98GTP
    Did you not get any information with the wideband kit? I would think there should be installation instructions at least.
    instructions are piss poor... i need to know where to connect the power wire to in a vette... most everyone that has this wb has an fbody. the power wires are only like 2 feet long, i cant get much distance to a wire with that... i might just buy an arming switch from pep boys and just wire it directly to the battery. im sick of screwing with this and just want the damn thing installed.

Quote Originally Posted by truckmann
    This wideband is very easy to install it should of come with instructions, but if not they are available on the PLX website. http://www.plxdevices.com/M-Series_installation.htm

I can't tell you exactly where to get your power from, but about any source for 12v should work and for a ground find a good solid paint free place on the body or frame.

For the gauge the black wire with the white stripe goes to the 4 pin plug in the controller box for the 3.3v power output. The other wire is only used if you want the gauge to read in lambda instead of the normal ratio reading. I suspect most people don't hook that wire to anything. The male plug from the gauge goes to the TX hole in the controller and the female plug is not used unless you have multiple gauges or units.

Also you will not need to make any changes after you get HPT. The wire for the wideband output in the 4 pin plug goes to the input for the HPT hardware in order to log.
    and thats just it... i dont know where to find a 12v source of power! i am not going to run it through the pcm, thats more hassle then its worth.

my plx only has 2 wires on the analog output. has a power, and the one thats free. am i going to have to add a wire(2 wires i thought?) to get it to work with hp tuners.

to be quite honest, at this point i just want the damn thing up and running, i need to check my afr and get this car tuned. i can not take the gas smell at idle any longer, its hurting my breathing.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by joshz06
    instructions are piss poor... i need to know where to connect the power wire to in a vette... most everyone that has this wb has an fbody. the power wires are only like 2 feet long, i cant get much distance to a wire with that... i might just buy an arming switch from pep boys and just wire it directly to the battery. im sick of screwing with this and just want the damn thing installed.
    As stated above, any switched fused 12V power source. Radio Shack carrys wire, so extending the power wire to more than 2 feet shouldn't be a problem
    -Eddie

1998 GTP - 3.4 [3.2] [3.0] MPS - custom CAI - F.1 Ram Air hood - XP Cam - Ported Heads - 1.84/1.60 Si valves - 1.6 HS Roller Rockers - 72mm Ported TB - LQ4 MAF - 42.5# Lucas Injectors - Pacesetters
    1/4 PB - 13.025 @ 106.81 MPH w/ 2.069 60'
    2021 Chevrolet Colorado 2.8 Baby Duramax

You should have switched 12 volt and ground behind the passenger side kick panel. Do a search on http://forums.corvetteforum.com for switched power.
    Best regards,
    Bill
    Silver 2003 C5 roadster, M6, Euro red/amber tails, Z06 Ti mufflers, Z06 2 cat H-pipe, Z06 airbox, and HPTuners s/w - available to any Corvette or other GM vehicle in Calgary, and also for Ford and Dodge products, including Cummins

Quote Originally Posted by Billf6531
    You should have switched 12 volt and ground behind the passenger side kick panel. Do a search on http://forums.corvetteforum.com for switched power.
    this is what i ended up doing, and found the correct wire. thanks for everyones input, it all helped out. now i just need to get the guage wired into hp tuners. good news is though that after my header install, its running really rich(low 12's at wot) so i am safe without a tune, and can definitely benefit from a tune. i just did some logging too.

Tuner in Training
    I tapped into my TCC harness, since my car doesn't have the option for it there is no button but the wiring is still run for it. Free 12v source!