Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: About to throw in the towel nailing down idle

Quote Originally Posted by 5_Liter_Eater View Post
    It doesn't contain what I need. Here is another config that uses MAF instead of dynamic airflow. You should be able to run through the procedure with it, at least histo 10 will work, I don't see why 11 wouldn't.
    how to edit rpm scaling in the scan config file?
    09 CTS-V A6

the two histograms are not supported in latest vcm scanner,, car is 09 ctsv,,
    any newer versions of this config available?
    09 CTS-V A6

No plans for it no.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Tried using this config without the maf since the car is sd tuned. The airflow histo created numbers from 9-12 or maybe even 13 and it wint even copy paste special into the airflow minimum table.

Wonder what I'm doing wrong or need to change?

I have a log on my computer I'll post when I'm home from work.

Thanks to Bill for submitting this technique.

I am hoping that someone can suggest what I am missing here...

No matter what I do, I cannot get it to idle below ~875 RPM, which is the original factory setting.

Right now the target idle speed and minimal idle speed are both 800, but if I set them at 600 it wouldn't make any difference--it would still idle at ~875.

I have zeroed the airflow final minimum table as specified and idle spark is set to 20 degrees.

With VCM controls I can command a HIGHER idle speed, i.e. if I set it at 1200 it will go to 1200, but going lower has no effect below ~875. I would like to be able to go to a lower idle speed in order to use this technique for dialing in the idle, but as it is I cannot.

It is an LS376-480 engine with GMPP controller package (E67).

Suggestions?
    Attached Files Attached Files

The histo is plotting in g/sec. Check the units in the editor for the table in question and make sure they match.

Quote Originally Posted by 2004gtols1 View Post
    Tried using this config without the maf since the car is sd tuned. The airflow histo created numbers from 9-12 or maybe even 13 and it wint even copy paste special into the airflow minimum table.

Wonder what I'm doing wrong or need to change?

I have a log on my computer I'll post when I'm home from work.
    Bill Winters

Post a log of this behavior with the config from this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by daniel76309 View Post
    Thanks to Bill for submitting this technique.

I am hoping that someone can suggest what I am missing here...

No matter what I do, I cannot get it to idle below ~875 RPM, which is the original factory setting.

Right now the target idle speed and minimal idle speed are both 800, but if I set them at 600 it wouldn't make any difference--it would still idle at ~875.

I have zeroed the airflow final minimum table as specified and idle spark is set to 20 degrees.

With VCM controls I can command a HIGHER idle speed, i.e. if I set it at 1200 it will go to 1200, but going lower has no effect below ~875. I would like to be able to go to a lower idle speed in order to use this technique for dialing in the idle, but as it is I cannot.

It is an LS376-480 engine with GMPP controller package (E67).

Suggestions?
    Bill Winters

Tuner in Training
    Does HPT have access to Max Idle Area 1 and 2? Reducing these values will allow the E38 and E67 ECM's will control idle speed rpms.

Post a log of this behavior with the config from this thread.
    Well, that brings me to something else, I was trying not to ask too many questions at once...

I was not able to open the config file from this thread, and I am thinking it may be because I have a newer version of HPT.

I did set up my own config which may not be quite "it", perhaps you could let me know. I used histogram #3 in my config to plot "dynamic air" v. RPM on one axis, and MAF hz on the other axis. Then I tried making a log with the engine idling, and tried controlling engine speed with VCM controller. The histogram shows about 1.4 lb/min at 800 RPM increasing to about 1.9 lb/min at 1200 RPM. So I may have overstated the 875, it apparently does vary down to 800 (enough to get data anyway), but that is as low as it would go.

Thoughts? Am I on the right track, and any ideas why it won't idle down any slower?

Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files

When you guys say you're not able to open the config in 2.24 do you mean when you connect it to the car and try to start scanning? Because I'm able to open it with 2.24.x and I was able to take a log from earrlier in this thread and open it and histos 10 and 11 work.
    Last edited by 5_Liter_Eater; 07-31-2014 at 09:36 AM.
    Bill Winters

I wasn't connected to the car when I tried opening it. (I will try that though and see if it makes a difference--will let you know.)

I get an error pop up that says "unable to parse log", and "2461 of 2466 bytes read".

OK, I tried it when connected to the car, I get the same thing. I tried it in different combinations, all plugged into the interface, but with ignition off, ignition on, not connected to scanner, and connected to scanner, and no go with any of them. Apparently something is not compatible.

Thanks!
    Last edited by daniel76309; 07-31-2014 at 02:21 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
    Does HPT have access to Max Idle Area 1 and 2? Reducing these values will allow the E38 and E67 ECM's will control idle speed rpms.
    What do you mean?
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeOD View Post
    What do you mean?
    Sorry. I included some info below. I don't know if this will help or not, but it's worth a try imo.

Max Idle Area 1 - Maximum throttle effective area that can be commanded during idle control.
    In this particular case, lowering the value would drop the max area "ceiling" allowing for a lower idle rpm.

Max Idle Area 2 - Maximum throttle effective area that can be commanded during idle control, this is used to prevent the vehicle creeping forward with the brake pressed.
    Same as above for auto cars.

Thank you. If I can find that I will give that a try!

Senior Tuner
    Thank you. If I can find that I will give that a try!
    Engine - Idle - Airflow - (on the right under Effective Area), you're looking at "Percent Max" and "Percent Max - Brake"
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

I'm able to open it with 2.24.322.

I wasn't connected to the car when I tried opening it. (I will try that though and see if it makes a difference--will let you know.)

I get an error pop up that says "unable to parse log", and "2461 of 2466 bytes read".

OK, I tried it when connected to the car, I get the same thing. I tried it in different combinations, all plugged into the interface, but with ignition off, ignition on, not connected to scanner, and connected to scanner, and no go with any of them. Apparently something is not compatible.

Thanks!
    Bill Winters

I'm able to open it with 2.24.322.
    OK, thanks. I had to check--I have version 2.24.57 (purchased a little over a year ago).

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOD View Post
    Engine - Idle - Airflow - (on the right under Effective Area), you're looking at "Percent Max" and "Percent Max - Brake"
    Thanks. I tried changing the value from (8149?) to 4000 and no effect, so went all the way to 200 and still no effect.

These things don't always seem to make sense to me, but I would THINK that I would be looking for a min value of something, rather than a max. Still, it was worth trying and I appreciate the suggestion.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks. I tried changing the value from (8149?) to 4000 and no effect, so went all the way to 200 and still no effect.

These things don't always seem to make sense to me, but I would THINK that I would be looking for a min value of something, rather than a max. Still, it was worth trying and I appreciate the suggestion.
    Sounds like you changed Airflow Area Conversion Max and Min. I was referring to Max Idle Area which typically has a default value of 2.46 %. Reducing it to 1.46 will usually help.

OK, thanks, you are correct. I found the values you are referring to now...on mine they are both 2.51%. I will give that a try also.