Thread: AEM wideband hook up!

Tuner in Training

AEM wideband hook up!

I just need to make sure that I am 100% clear on this before I go and waste a bunch of time.

I am going to install my wideband today but I guess I do not have the pro version of MPVI. If I cut the brown wire on my egr connector and connect that to the wire on the AEM harness I will be able to read my AFR correct. I would just have to log EGR.

I know that there is a formula to make it read correctly but wanted to get this part done first.

Yep. Thats it. Connect the AEM output (yellow I think) to the brown wire on the side you cut that leads back to the PCM.

If there happen to be two brown wires you want the one without 5V if you disconnect the connector with the ignition on.

Search for posts by me containing EGR or AC for info on setting up the user defined PIDs.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Tuner in Training
    what do you mean by, cut the lead back to the PCM? Sorry if that is an ignorant question!

I mean cut the wire, don't just splice into it. Once it's cut one end will go to the EGR connector and the other end will go back to the PCM. You want the one that leads back to the PCM. Common sense but people have screwed it up before.
    Bill Winters

Tuner in Training
    Ok I got it, I am not using the egr so I it is cut anyways. The other wire just goes to a ground right! Thanks for your help 5 liter

Yea; 12v switched power, ground, and output. Thats all there is to it. I can't remember if the gauge comes with a capacitor or not but if the instructions say to do it I would. I get some feedback in my radio from the gauge and I don't have the cap.
    Bill Winters

Tuner in Training
    No it doesn't come with any capacitor or anything. Just power, ground & acc. The gauge takes alot of power so you might get some feedback in your speakers if you ground it wrong.

HPTuners, Diamond Forged 10.0:1 Pistons, Flowtechnics Ported Head, Ferrea Valve Springs with Ti Retainers][/B], ARP Head Studs, Siemens 60lbers, AEM Cold Air, Magnaflow Cat Back, GMPP Header, BilletFlow 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, ZZP Downpipe
    Special Thanks to all the guys down at Vera
    Vids of the Beast
    Pics of the Beast
    Member #001 - Sticker Tower Of Doom Club
    ACHA DII FAU Goaltender

i have an AEM that has never worked i wired it to a cig lighter adapter and it comes on, seems to go thru a calibration and then turns on and seems to go thru a cal, and then...... so on over and over. its not a bad connection it is consistant but never stops acting screwy. any one seen this.
    98 Z28m6,ramVDS,lakewood LCA,sphon SFC,NOS 125shot,HPtuned LQ4.045milled heads,224/228 581/588 comp cam,fast toys lid,ported 85maf,ls6 intake,long tubes with custom exhaust

Check the little dial in the back. It may be in-bwtween settings. What exactly does the display show?
    Bill Winters

Quote Originally Posted by 5_Liter_Eater
    Check the little dial in the back. It may be in-bwtween settings. What exactly does the display show?
    no i played with the switch, no change. when i plug it in the outside edge sweeps thru the range and back, then the display shows dashes,then the mode and then says 14.7, bounces around then starts the process over again. same sequence everytime over and over.
    98 Z28m6,ramVDS,lakewood LCA,sphon SFC,NOS 125shot,HPtuned LQ4.045milled heads,224/228 581/588 comp cam,fast toys lid,ported 85maf,ls6 intake,long tubes with custom exhaust