Thread: How did you run your wiring to the outside?

Tuner in Training

How did you run your wiring to the outside?

I was going to try to install my wideband today but I couldn't see anywhere on the firewall I could run my wiring thru to the sensor outside. How did you guys do it? any pictures would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Tuning in progress...

Senior Tuner
    Through the door jamb. But it is a temporary install. When I do a permanent install, my gauge will be in the center console and the wiring will run through the auto cable grommet. This is the shortest route to my wideband sensor. You can also drill a small enough hole to run your wires through the firewall, just next to the pedals. Where is your gauge going to be mounted, the location of it may help determine how best to route the wires.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 12secSS
    Through the door jamb. But it is a temporary install. When I do a permanent install, my gauge will be in the center console and the wiring will run through the auto cable grommet. This is the shortest route to my wideband sensor. You can also drill a small enough hole to run your wires through the firewall, just next to the pedals. Where is your gauge going to be mounted, the location of it may help determine how best to route the wires.
    Where is the auto cable grommet located? I'd rather not drill....

Also, remember it's not just the wires that need to get through.... the plug that goes into the AFX Control module also needs to fit through......

I'm moutning the AFX Control Module on top of the steering wheel coulmn...

Tuning in progress...

Senior Tuner
    I forget if your's is auto or manual ... anyway, if you remove the center console top (where the shift indicator is) you can follow the cable from the shifter to the floor. It will pass through a 1" or 1.5" diameter grommet. The center of it is thin, so you can cut it wider to fit the connectors through.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 12secSS
    I forget if your's is auto or manual ... anyway, if you remove the center console top (where the shift indicator is) you can follow the cable from the shifter to the floor. It will pass through a 1" or 1.5" diameter grommet. The center of it is thin, so you can cut it wider to fit the connectors through.
    its a 6speed...

Will it still work?

Tuning in progress...

there is a grommet in the floor pan of the right Rear seat you can fish a cable under the carpet from the center console.

there is also a grommet on the passenger side firewall under the PCM location. you would have to pullout hte passenger kick panel in the floorboard, it is in the upper right corner if you are looking forward
    2002 Camaro Z28
    236/236/0.590"/0.590"/112 lsa cam
    Longtube Headers, True Dual w/ X Pipe
    Air Lid, Filter, Ported Maf End, Bellows Hose

drilled

i know you said you'd rather not but for all the mods - one teeny drill hole ?

anyway under dash behind the glove box - drilled thru
    my boost gauge and egt are mounted to bracket and are inside glove box (that only show when glove box is open )- my wideband is mounted in a driver side a/c vent..... used same dill hole for all

my desktop pc is headed for shop - i can post pics if i still have them ! when it comes back...... mine is a permanent install........i have one more openning in the glove box bracket - not sure yet what other gauge for the remaining spot ?
    2.4 ecotech ( 2006 pontiac solstice )
    42lb injectors
    trim 50 garrett t3t4 (custom -barebones pumpking )
    boost @ aprox 7 <10
    38mm tial wastegate and bov
    3" tubes front to back
    werks radiator
    bell intercooler
    GXP,magna flo exhaust-with integrated dumptube by B_FASTER & R&D
    aem wideband
    custom manifold -by sh**er the skunk
    (((HP ))) tuning - in progress
    jet hot 2000
    aerospace logic egt kit

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisV 02 - Z28
    there is a grommet in the floor pan of the right Rear seat you can fish a cable under the carpet from the center console.
    I know which one you are talking about. I ran my cut-out cable through there. But it wont fit the wideband connection through there so im gona have to go through the firewall.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisV 02 - Z28
    there is also a grommet on the passenger side firewall under the PCM location. you would have to pullout hte passenger kick panel in the floorboard, it is in the upper right corner if you are looking forward
    Sweet, thanks!! I'll check that out. Appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by zzzybil
    know you said you'd rather not but for all the mods - one teeny drill hole ?
    I guess Drilling is a last resort

I'd love to see some pics if you get a chance Thanks a lot!

Tuning in progress...

Quote Originally Posted by exit
    I know which one you are talking about. I ran my cut-out cable through there. But it wont fit the wideband connection through there so im gona have to go through the firewall.

Sweet, thanks!! I'll check that out. Appreciate it.

I guess Drilling is a last resort

I'd love to see some pics if you get a chance Thanks a lot!
    what kind of car do you have? if its a vette... you will have to go through the hole under the passenger floor board as mentioned above, unless you want to tear apart the center console and go through there. i did mine through the floorboard, and just take the battery out and get a good screwdriver to pry back the gromet. its a tough sob.