Thread: Help??? - dead LS7 Z06

Potential Tuner

Help??? - dead LS7 Z06

I was uploading a new tune file, VCMEditor erased the vcm was 1/2 way thru loading the new file and got an error.
    Now the software won't connect to the VCM, the ignition cannot be turned on, the car says No Key Fobs, car will not start.
    The key fobs do lock/unlock the car, etc.

Is there any way out of this problem?

Senior Tuner
    You can't do a recovery flash with the stock tune?

Tuner
    You might try disconnecting the battery for 1 minute, then hooking it back up. This sometimes works, and is a quick attempt at a fix. Good luck.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I don't think thats the fix to be honest but im working on getting him the correct procedures for recovery in his case as we speak since he's already been in contact with support.

-Bill
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Similar happened to me yesterday. About the 5th time I wrote to the car it failed half way though. The first time I had ever had a failed write since I've been using HPTuners, and it was on a 4000 mile C6 that drove 2 hours for a tune.

I did not turn off the car or unhook the battery. I just left everything be incase it still needed to be in what ever state it was in. Figured I sure didn't want it to reboot on a bad flash. I just tried again. It recovered the pcm and I re-flashed it. Worked flawlessly. Didn't have another problem. But it still scared the shit out of me.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Yeah, the error he was getting was a comms error though, so in his case trying to write entire would normally be the next step as he had tried a write calibration only several times and getting the same error.

My turn. After about 2 dozen tweak/flash/start/log/repeat cycles today trying to calm a bouncy idle, the programming protocol stopped partway through, and now the PCM in my '08 C6 LS3 appears to be dead. Pushing the start button does nothing, and HP Tuners won't connect. The positive battery cable is dangling as I type, with any luck the cold reboot will help.

Jeff

The cold reboot made no difference, but I kept poking the start button and the instrument panel woke up and told me to "Service Fuel System". Remember that this started as an aborted flash update, so I don't think anything is wrong with the fuel system. I've blown the fuel pump fuse on this car and that does not prevent the engine from cranking. I think I have a dead PCM.

Jeff

Senior Tuner
    And when your flash takes a dump, all of you guys are just doing a "Write Calibration Only" method, and not a "Write Entire"?

Usually for something like this to happen there is a problem with the laptop, not HPT, or potentially the USB cable is bumped. I have never had one write fail on me out of thousands of flashes I have written to just about every GM V8 vehicle out there.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Toys: '22 Tesla Model S Plaid / '20 Chevy Duramax / ?20 Sea-Doo RXT-X (2)

Yes, writing cal only. The weird thing is that I was in the middle of a very rapid tweak/flash/test cycle because I was working on an idle problem. Probably did 2 dozen flashes in 30 minutes when the comm sequence just froze partway through. I don't think I bumped a cable, so maybe in was the laptop.

All is fine now - in frustration I held the start button in for many seconds, and magically the dashboard woke up (it was not responding to the start button). HPT connected and did a recovery/write entire, after which the car started right up. Yay!

Jeff

Why not make a "Quick Fixes" sticky and put these at the top?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelp View Post
    Why not make a "Quick Fixes" sticky and put these at the top?
    Because each case is different, bulking them all together would be the worst thing we could do in the case of a failed flash.