Thread: Histogram question

Advanced Tuner

Histogram question

After playing with the scanner a little bit I think I have it down how the histograms work with regard to the plot filter. I just want to explain it and have someone else verify that what I'm saying is correct...

When you setup a plot filter, if the filter equates to a 1 or true, it includes that PID or Sensor in the histogram averaging and displays it in the histogram, if the filter equates to a 0 or false, it doesn't include that PID or Sensor in the histogram averaging or display.

I'm pretty sure that's the way it works and here is the problem I have with the current setup. There is no way to filter out display data without affecting the averages. In other words, if I wanted to filter out any cell in the display, that was greater than 2 and less than -2, it screws up all the other averages because it actually filters those PIDS/Sensors out of the averages...
    Is this correct and if so, any trick around it?

I know I could just copy the whole table and paste special, then go back in and change the cells values that I don't want to change but that's a lot of work...
    2005 Grand Prix GTP
    My CarDomain Page

You have the concept somewhat right. Any frame captured that does not meet the filter will not be averaged in with the good data in the histo. The filter doesn't have to be specific to the PID you're displaying in the histo. A good example is plotting LTFTs against the VE and setting up the filter of [sens.121]>14.6 where sens.121 is commanded AFR. This would keep any PE data from making it into the LTFT histo (assuming you're logging commanded AFR).

Can you explain more about what you're trying to do?
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Advanced Tuner
    Hi Bill, what I want to do is apply only cells which are greater than or less than +2/-2% to my VE table. I have a scan. I ran it through the histogram with no filter. There are a bunch of cells who's average is anywhere from 2 to -2. I want to copy and paste whole table against my VE table but I don't want to modify my VE table where the average is from 2 to -2...
    Understand?
    2005 Grand Prix GTP
    My CarDomain Page

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    you can filter out the cells where it is over or under + or - 2 using the filter string.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners
    you can filter out the cells where it is over or under + or - 2 using the filter string.
    Hi Bill. Yes I know I can filter the cells. The problem is the filtered cells do not figure in the averages after you filter them out thereby skewing all the other cells...
    2005 Grand Prix GTP
    My CarDomain Page

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Thats the point of filtering them out is so they DON'T figure into the average.

Advanced Tuner
    Ok Bill, let me put it another way. After I have a histogram all nice and filled with averages, how do I apply that histogram excluding a certain criteria of cells?
    2005 Grand Prix GTP
    My CarDomain Page

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Im sorry, apparently im not following what your trying to say/accomplish.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Perforator
    Ok Bill, let me put it another way. After I have a histogram all nice and filled with averages, how do I apply that histogram excluding a certain criteria of cells?
    Are you trying to include all the cells where the average data is in the range you are looking for and exclude all the cells outside the range you want when you do the copy and paste ?

I think the only way of doing that is to select the cells or group of cells with the data you want one at a time until you have copied them all .

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Arron
    Are you trying to include all the cells where the average data is in the range you are looking for and exclude all the cells outside the range you want when you do the copy and paste ?
    Yes! That's exactly it.
    2005 Grand Prix GTP
    My CarDomain Page

Advanced Tuner
    Ok, I answered my own question, lol. You can paste the table into excel, then delete the cells you don't want. Then just copy it again from excel and do the paste special in the editor. Just make sure you take note of the dimension of the array...
    2005 Grand Prix GTP
    My CarDomain Page

You're trying to apply the filter to the averaged results right? Like take all the data and average it but don't show any averages that are greater than 2, right?

It doesn't work that way. The plot filter applies to the data as it comes in, not applied after all the data makes it into the histo.

So in other words, average fuel trims that are within 2% you don't even want to alter. Anything above that you want to be able to copy and paste easily.

The only way I know to do that is with Excel. I wouldn't worry about it though, I'd just copy and paste the <=2's as well.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Advanced Tuner
    Ya, I just used Excel Bill... I don't like changing things that don't need to be changed cuz then you just end up chasing your tail if ya knows what I mean..
    2005 Grand Prix GTP
    My CarDomain Page