Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maf Transfer, Configuration & Histogram Repository

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)

Maf Transfer, Configuration & Histogram Repository

Aight guys as many of you have already noticed LS1's are the default when it comes to the config files & histograms for the most part. Here you can post what configs have helped you along. Include in your post with this format:

Year
    Make
    Model
    OS
    Vin
    What the config is for? Idle tuning, SD tuning, MAF tuning, General

If your post is missing anyone of those it will likely be deleted since I need that info to verify its a working configuration.

If you have custom histograms you'd like to post as well feel free. Same info is needed.

NOTE: .cfg or .hst files are opened within the VCM Suite scanner.

The .cfg (configuration files) go in your:
    C:\Program Files\HP Tuners\VCMSuite2 Directory

The .hst (histogram files) go in your:
    C:\Program Files\HP Tuners\VCMSuite2\Histograms Directory
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    Can we get any scanner configs up in here. I honestly can't figure out how to make one even after watching the video.

Since I heard you have a KR PID in the Mustang scanner files, just change the Plot Value sensor to KR for Knock Retard. Not too sure what the Mustangs rev up to so change the Labels in the engine speed to match what you have.

This is for a 2004 F150 Timing advance Histogram. More to come once more PIDs are released.

Bader Norris
    MEP Tuned
    Telephone: +965-55446651
    Email: [email protected]
    Instagram

Setting up the Histo for the maf is pretty easy. Follow these steps:

1.Open the scanner

2. Click the little box that's called "Table (Primary)" once this table is opened, right click and select "insert", when the list of PIDs comes up, under "engine"---> "airflow" double click MAF volts. Close the PID list and you should see the pid now enabled in the table. close the table.

3. click on the little square that says "histograms"

4. there are 12 tabs for custom histos, click on one that is unused....like #8, it's generally unused.

5. click on the little tools icon that says "configure histograms"

6. under "x header horizontal axis" next to "table:" place the mouse pointer over "<click to insert or change>" and click it

7. when the pid list comes up select the MAF volts table.

8. under "Plot Value" next to "Sensor:" palce the mouse pointer over "<click to insert or change>" and click it

9. when the pid list comes up pids select STFT's

10. click the "up arrow box" at the top of the page that says "commit changes"

11. close the configure dialog box and start scanning the car.

Note: the plot value can be substituted for air fuel ratios given by a wbo2 if you have that input and setup. if your tuning with a wideband, you need to make sure the calibration your using to tune with is in open loop all the time. and a your adaptive learning is off, and cot is off, etc.... but that's a whole other thread and I'll leave this one to the histos.

From this point on you can set up your filtering values if you'd like or your cell hits required... or you can leave them alone and get pretty decent results like this until your more familiar with the scanner and it's abilities.
    Last edited by Fox95; 12-23-2008 at 09:30 PM.
    Roadracing Crew Chief - World Superbike, British Superbike, Moto America.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Here's a JLT intake maf transfer provided by Eric Brooks.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

For some reason the above config for STFT vs. MAF doesn't work. How would I go about logging this? Whenever I opened the attached file it just has unsupported parameters in it. I've tried coming up with my own histogram, but I always end up with just one cell, and the data never moving. Ideas on how to set this up? This is driving me nuts.

Mike

edited my post above with a quick how to on setting up the maf histo.
    Roadracing Crew Chief - World Superbike, British Superbike, Moto America.

Thanks,

I have a nice MAF Volts vs. STFT's histo now. It's finally working right, I appreciate it. I think the problem I was having before was how I was entering the labels for MAF volts. Are there any filter strings you recommend? I was using 20 as a cell count min, and taking the average of the STFT's to calculate the change in airflow. Thanks again.

MAF volts isnt even an option in my pid list, anybody know why??

I think it might depend on what ".cfg" file is loaded?
    Last edited by MrDrezzUp; 04-16-2009 at 01:26 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Following fox95's instructions to set up the histo, when i get to steps 6,7 i cannot find the MAF volts table.
    It has only the following options:

1) Load with failed MAF (IMRC Open) vs. RPM vs. TPS

2) Load with failed MAF vs. RPM vs. TPS

3) MAF temp compensation vs. Airflow vs. IAT

I loaded the MAF volts in the primary table, just for some reason i cant find it in the PID list here. Or is it one of the PID's i listed? Im using the 2.23 beta if that matters.
    Thanks

Has the scanner been hooked up to the car? When the scanner is hooked up to the car and the VCM Scanner software is connected to the car for the first time, the VCM Scanner software polls the car for a list of supported PIDs. After the car has been polled, new/different PIDs become available.

Tuner in Training
    Yes it has been, I found it next to PID under the horizontal axis. I thought it was supposed to go next to table. Is this right?

Also, after its set up i use the values someone in this thread posted?

I do not have the "MAF Volts" PID or the MAF table mentioned in this thread. I suspect this is because the VCM Scanner has not polled a Ford vehicle.

As long as you have inserted the "MAF Volts" PID into the Primary Table I "think" you would be good to go via a custom histogram.

See attached pic! :-)

As a tip, I like to create a custom PID of "LTFT + STFT". When doing my VE table and/or MAF table I then log against the "LTFT + STFT" custom PID (instead of logging against only LTFT or only STFT).

I mention the above because I see you are wanting to log against STFT. STFT will only be reliable if the LTFT are < 0.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you sir. I think ive got it. I was thrown off by the instructions where he says under horizontal axis to put MAF volts next to table instead of PID.
    How many cells to you typically use, and how many cell hits are required?
    Thanks

edit: One more thing, I kind of understand what you mean about logging against the LTFT and STFT and why you want to do that. But im a complete newb sadly, would you mind explaining how you set up the custom PID?
    edit2: I set up LTFT on the vertical axis with 20 cells, will this do it? Ill go outside and test it in a bit, got some chores to get done first.
    Last edited by rDB; 07-19-2009 at 04:24 PM.

For convenience sake you could use the same amount of cells that are in the MAF/Volts table in VCM Editor. If you have the same cells then can use the "Copy + Labels" feature.

The cool thing about what "cell count" to filter by...is that you don't actually have to decide ahead of time. The cell count filter can be added after the logging session is done. I.e. I do not have any "minimum cell counts" defined for any of my histograms. After a logging session (with the log open) I then apply a cell count filter. When you "reload" the data, the minimum cell count will be applied to the data. It is a super handy feature. :-)

As for what the "minimum" cell count should be, I find it depends on what you are logging. MAF tends to not need as much of a "minimum" as say VE does.

I have attached a screen shot of what a "LTFT+STFT" custom PID looks like. :-)

I have a 07 GT(manual)
    It has the new black plastic ford racing intake, bbk tbody, offroad h, axleback, and 4.10s. My friend has tuned probably 50 ls1 cars and we just tried to tune my car for a change. i do not have the ford flash for my intake so im throwing a lean code. I am trying to get the best tune I can for now because it could be a month before I get dyno time. What do we need to look at and change to get my maf tuned in as close as possible? we should be able to get the wideband hooked up today. and is there a way to know about how lean or rich you are by looking at the o2 reading? Thanks for the help. I dont have HPT on my comp so as of now I cant post up anything.
    Last edited by BlueStreak; 08-12-2009 at 06:09 PM. Reason: The intake has an 85mm mass air by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
    I have a 07 GT(manual)
    It has the new black plastic ford racing intake, bbk tbody, offroad h, axleback, and 4.10s. My friend has tuned probably 50 ls1 cars and we just tried to tune my car for a change. i do not have the ford flash for my intake so im throwing a lean code. I am trying to get the best tune I can for now because it could be a month before I get dyno time. What do we need to look at and change to get my maf tuned in as close as possible? we should be able to get the wideband hooked up today. and is there a way to know about how lean or rich you are by looking at the o2 reading? Thanks for the help. I dont have HPT on my comp so as of now I cant post up anything.
    I am surprised you are throwing a lean code with a different intake. As long as the MAF, and the MAF housing are the same you "should" be good to go.

Without a wideband (via the narrowbands) you can tune the MAF for everything that falls outside of PE (WOT).

With a wideband you can also tune the MAF within the PE (WOT) range.

I am not familiar with the Ford tables, but what you are going to need to do is log MAF versus Short Term / Long Term trims, or MAF versus wideband-AFR error. The results of this logging will show you how much (up or down) the various points within your MAF curve will need to be adjusted.

the maf is slightly bigger. i donno if i did my car the correct way last night, but it runs like a scalded dog compared to the night before. i only changed the maf voltage and i used all the timing changes from the intake, exhaust tune in the tune repository. for the maf transfer i just split the difference betweet the stock tune and a jlt intake tune i found on here. i know thats only half the way of going about it but i raced the same guy 2 nights in a row and it made about a 4 car difference. one last thing. i have 4.10s with stock tires. i changed it for 4.10s but my speedo is still the same.