Thread: Trouble datalogging for MAF calibration

Trouble datalogging for MAF calibration

Hi, I'm struggling to get any usable data for calibrating my MAF. Im only filling one block.

Ive set up a graph with my row axis based off mass airflow period values. The parameter im trying to log is my short term fuel trim % to 3 decimals, logging the average with 10 cell hits. Im only getting data for the first block, 83.3ųs.

Ive tried using different stft parameters like SAE, got NO DATA, not even the first block.

My long term learning is disabled along with zeroed out temp corrections and cylair anticipation disabled.

Can somebody please help me so I can get a full graph of data to use to modify my maf vs period?

Year: 2011 (2012 engine)
    Make ford
    Model mustang v6
    Last edited by [email protected]; 02-24-2022 at 09:55 AM.

Advanced Tuner

MAF Calibartion

there are 2 ways you can tune the MAF Transfer. First way is the trid a true way which is to shut off adaptive learning & Disable LTFT to dial in using STFT's. 2011 +plus vehicle you dont need to force open loop because their always run in closed loop because of the wideband O2 sensors. the only time these cars run in open loop is for cold starts. Set your WOT Cylair WOT Multiplier & Cylair MAX Multiplier to 1.90. the cylair Adaption Switch set to Disable the takes away the LWMF table. You can also shut off MAF temp Compensation this covers Method 1. Second Method Leave adaptive on and enable LTFT data log LTFT bank 1 & LTFT bank 2. Setup you PIDS/DMRS in VCM Scanner create a histogram do part throttle runs and makes corrections of histogram.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePt-6y2CpdI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhg5NSh8Dq8
    Last edited by mstang_man; 02-24-2022 at 06:25 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by mstang_man View Post
    Set your WOT Cylair WOT Multiplier & Cylair MAX Multiplier to 1.90. the cylair Adaption Switch set to Disable the takes away the LWMF table.
    What purpose does this here serve? I've seen that a lot of people do this, but never quite understood why. I'm a noob so please excuse me if it's a dumb question lol

Advanced Tuner
    cylairs are multipliers used in conjunction with WOT to allow headroom with the speed density system. on 2011+ LWMF is basically taken over by speed density functions. This is why Cylair Anticipation is suggested to Disable until done tuning the MAF Transfer function.

I found my issue with only filling one cell.

I had set up my graph for monitoring STFT with maf period as the row axis, HOWEVER I forgot to add MAF period into my list of parameters in my configuration. This led to the graph taking data only in the 83.3us cell and nothing else. as soon as I added maf period into the list on the lefthand side of the interface my graph started filling out data.

The MAF period seems to track fluctuations better than my voltage histogram, should I be focusing only on making changes in the MAF period and leave MAF voltages alone?

I've had cylair anticipation turned off, temp compensation zeroed out and LTFT disabled. my histogram parameter was STFT with row axis MAF period, however I havent changed my WOT cylair multiplier or max yet.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I found my issue with only filling one cell.

I had set up my graph for monitoring STFT with maf period as the row axis, HOWEVER I forgot to add MAF period into my list of parameters in my configuration. This led to the graph taking data only in the 83.3us cell and nothing else. as soon as I added maf period into the list on the lefthand side of the interface my graph started filling out data.

The MAF period seems to track fluctuations better than my voltage histogram, should I be focusing only on making changes in the MAF period and leave MAF voltages alone?

I've had cylair anticipation turned off, temp compensation zeroed out and LTFT disabled. my histogram parameter was STFT with row axis MAF period, however I havent changed my WOT cylair multiplier or max yet.
    You want to Focus on the Air Flow So under the MAF AIRFLOW Vs Period you want to adjust the AIRFLOW. there is no need to Mess with the Period/AD Counts/Voltage .
    you data log should have the MAF PERIOD on Y axis and Airflow on X axis (the correction Factor in %) you copy the correction and paste special by half percentage or by percentage. i like half percentage it makes less of change.

I followed this coyote video when originally setting up my histogram and for the changes to my period vs airflow table, it sounds similar to what youre describing, but I have some questions about the pictures of your histograms.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXQ2...YMUSTANGGARAGE

I have my parameter set to STFT B1. MAF period stft histogram.PNG

Your graph layouts show one with LTFT and another graph with LTFT+STFT and a filtering equation.
    why use LTFT instead of STFT if LTFT is disabled? and why the other graph LTFT+STFT? Also, what is the math in the filter in the second picture?
    ([68.238]-(([50127.238]+[50128.238])/2))

Advanced Tuner
    on the older cars 2010 and older had narrow band O2's , we use to force open loop, turn off adaptation, zero out MAF Compensation, and dial in the Maf transfer function using short term fuel trims. 2011+ come from the factory with wide band O2's which the vehicle is always in closed loop withe the exception of cold starting. Now there are 2 methods to tuning the Maf, adaptation, disable cylair anticipation, and LTFT, and datalog STFT B1 & B2. Copy all results, paste special multiply by % - Half. Method 2 because the vehicle runs in closed loop after warming up say 10-15 mins you can not the LTFT's at idling and make changes or you can go further and do part throttle this will cover a variety of range at a steady state. If your LTFT show 1 to 2% no corrections are really needed. Always the same either way you multiply the AIR FLow by the your correction factors out of the histogram you created or by doing old school math.
    Last edited by mstang_man; 02-27-2022 at 11:54 AM.