Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 98 car with 99+ harness and 4l80e

98 car with 99+ harness and 4l80e

Ok, Doc on www.ls1tech.com has helped alot of people do the 98 car to 99+ engine harness and computer swap. After you are completely done with the swap he has a file that has a fuel segment out of a 02 chevy express van, PCM 12212156, L31, to make the fuel level correct, but since everyone who I have came across that does this swap uses EFILIVE, my hptuner says invalid.

Any idea?

I also have a 4l80e transmission in this car, and found after posting a stock file from a 02 silverado with a 4l80e and a 12212156 os so I should be good to go there. I also have attached a stock auto 12212156 file to start with.

I licenced all 02 camaro/firebirds to be able to take care of this tune, am I going to need a specific pcm or can I get any fbody pcm and have it flashed to a 02 12212156 os tune?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by fasttrackperformace; 08-21-2007 at 09:08 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Any update to how you fixed the fuel level?

I've got a 98 camaro that has a 99+ pcm swap done on it.
    The fuel level is pegged at full and the AC doesn't work.

99+ PCM Fbody-4L80E

Hey all,

Here's a program for a 98 Fbody with a 99+ PCM (2002 OS in this one) and a 4L80E. Since you're going to have to license the vehicle anyway, it should be good to go. You might have to change the fuel calibration as it's a direct segment swap from an 02 Express Van (the one everyone is using).

BTW: Since the lowest gear ratio I can find for a 4L80E is 3.73, you will have to adjust the tire size & gear ratio for your particular application as well

Let me know if it works for you and post up changes so others can benefit as well.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Has the tune that you posted up been changed over to the express van settings? Also do you change the capacity to the stock 15.5 gal? If not where do I find a stock 02 express van tune, a search of the repository has come up empty. Thanks!
    01 WS6-M6, PRC Stage 2.5 5.3's, MS4, Kooks 1 3/4", custom built full true duals w/ X-pipe, SLP lid, tuned via HPTuners

This is the stock tune from a 5.7 (R) 2002 GMC Savana Van.

Russ Kemp

Quote Originally Posted by Russ K
    This is the stock tune from a 5.7 (R) 2002 GMC Savana Van.

Russ Kemp
    Thanks a million for posting it up I was struggling to find one. Does it matter what PCM you use? I am trying to get the a.c. working and I have found that a 99 fbody uses different A.C. wiring than a pcm from a 00. Also the trucks use a completely different A.C. setup than the F-bodys
    01 WS6-M6, PRC Stage 2.5 5.3's, MS4, Kooks 1 3/4", custom built full true duals w/ X-pipe, SLP lid, tuned via HPTuners

That file I posted has the Express van segment in it already. I did not change any values from the factory Express van settings. Let us know...

Potential Tuner
    That file did not work. The gauge is still pegged at full.

01 MidMet WS6 will probably chime in about it with more detail.

You might need to copy in your 98 fuel system settings to make the gauge work.

Thumbs down

So I used multiple different OS, a 99, 00 and a 01 all of which I copied and pasted all of the fuel system settings (with the exception of the fuel capacity) with no success. WHAT do I need to do, I am getting very frustrated with this considering it is an very simple operation with your competitors software. I find it hard to imagine that no one hear has succesfully accomplished this. I know that it will work because the PCM that I removed (locked) would operate the fuel gauge perfectly. Someone help please.......Thanks in advance!

Carl T

Put the "locked" PCM back in and get a VCM Suite Info File and post up the bottom section of the VCM Suite Info file where the VIN & other PCM info is located.

The other PCM was brought back to the original tuner on trade for a stock untouched PCM. I am unsure what the original OS was but I do know that the VIN was changed to match the vehicles VIN (done using Tunercat). This was about a month ago, I could try and get the old PCM back but it would be a lot of hassle. I spoke with Doc at EFI Alchemey, they do a lot of pcm swaps using EFIlive and he told me that the OS that they use is the most current one for a 2002 Camaro (he told me a # but I didn't have anything on me to write it down). Is there anyway for us to change OS without doing a write entire from another file? I have some logs on my laptop (at work right now) that I will post up showing Fuel sender voltage and fuel level. Has anyone using HPTuners done this swap succesfully?

Might need fuel level voltage values from a stock 98 for comparison as well. They aren't changing the OS so that's not an issue unless you aren't using the latest one right now. 12212156 is the latest OS for the F-bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by That guy
    That file did not work. The gauge is still pegged at full.

01 MidMet WS6 will probably chime in about it with more detail.
    The fuel level output on the Express Van pcm is on C2 pin 38. The 1998 F-Body pcm uses C1 pin 36 (Dark Blue wire).

Russ Kemp

Quote Originally Posted by EC_Tune
    Might need fuel level voltage values from a stock 98 for comparison as well. They aren't changing the OS so that's not an issue unless you aren't using the latest one right now. 12212156 is the latest OS for the F-bodies.
    I do not have the original file because when I got to the car it was already tuned. The OS that is currently being used is a 9381344. I also tried a 12202088 with no success, can OS be changed without doing a write entire?

As I understand it all 99-02 pcms have the same hardware and the OS is what establishes pin location. E.I. trucks use a totally different A.C. control than a F-body along with unique pin locations for both. If you take the truck PCM and swap it into the F-body the A.C. will not work, now if you do a write entire using any 99-up Fbody file that A.C. works perfectly. So I am assuming that I am just using the improper OS? Please enlighten me if I am off track. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Russ K
    The fuel level output on the Express Van pcm is on C2 pin 38. The 1998 F-Body pcm uses C1 pin 36 (Dark Blue wire).

Russ Kemp
    There are a lot of differences between the different years and models. What gets me is the fact that the gas gauge worked prior to me pulling the PCM and replacing it with the exact same part #. No rewiring/ repining should be required.

Here are the logs that I promised earlier today along with the current tune. I find it unusual that the first log shows the fuel tank level at 24 gallons when the capacity is only 15.5 gallons. Now in the second log the PCM is reading 0 gallons yet the gauge is still pegged. I still think that it is a simple OS change but I feel that I am now at the limits of my education and available resources. Thanks for the quick replies.

Quote Originally Posted by 01 MidMet WS6
    I do not have the original file because when I got to the car it was already tuned. The OS that is currently being used is a 9381344. I also tried a 12202088 with no success, can OS be changed without doing a write entire?
    No, write entire is mandatory with an OS swap.

Quote Originally Posted by 01 MidMet WS6
    As I understand it all 99-02 pcms have the same hardware and the OS is what establishes pin location. E.I. trucks use a totally different A.C. control than a F-body along with unique pin locations for both. If you take the truck PCM and swap it into the F-body the A.C. will not work, now if you do a write entire using any 99-up Fbody file that A.C. works perfectly. So I am assuming that I am just using the improper OS? Please enlighten me if I am off track. Thanks!!
    Inputs and Outputs on the 99-02's are not OS specific but definitely pin specific. You do have things like IAC control on F-bodies and ETC control on Vettes & some trucks that must be taken into account on the differing platforms. But like you said the hardware is interchangeable.

Potential Tuner
    If the I/O isn't OS specific but pin specific like you said, how is it that the previous tuner with Tuner Cat was able to get the fuel gauge working with an express van file and the 02 os with exactly the same pin configuration?

After all the attempts Carl has tried I am thinking that HPT doesn't have the capability to get it working.

Get me the segment numbers from the one that works and I can duplicate it exactly. Until then ?????

So if the original PCM is not available this simply cannot be done? What is a segment swap, how is it done and do I have the ability? I have been doing a lot of research on a couple other forums and am confident that I will find a solution for this car even if purchase of more equipment is necessary. Thanks for the info so far.

Carl T.