Thread: E38 T42 TM pulling timing randomly with trans as source

Advanced Tuner

E38 T42 TM pulling timing randomly with trans as source

72 cutlass current tune.hpttm 3.hpl

This is for a 72 cutlass LS3 swapped with LSA blower and 4L60e trans. As you can see from the scan it pulls timing when driving. It seems very inconsistent and I'm not sure why it's happening. At one point it was doing it at idle in park. It also didn't do it for an entire run but then when I shifted into reverse and then back in gear it started doing it. The source says trans but I have everything adjusted that I can. I've never seen an issue like this running a 6L80e/ T43, so I'm assuming the E38/ T42 combo is the culprit. Reducing the VTT seems to help but then causes a P1516, I can open up the parameters for this so its not a big deal but still. I can probably get rid of it by further reducing the torque tables but I shouldn't have to. I'm wondering why this is happening in the first place. It's funny because it popped up while tuning after I REDUCED the MAF table because it was too rich. If anything I would think reducing the MAF table would help, but I digress. Any thoughts on this? If he just ran a 6L80e in the first place this probably wouldn't be an issue.
    2018 Camaro SS, Maggie 2650, 103 TB, Big Gulp, E85

Don’t delete all the tq management on trans side

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Charles View Post
    Don?t delete all the tq management on trans side
    Please elaborate if you would, I don't have all the torque management deleted. LOL that would be a death sentence to this trans. I can't believe they chose it for this combo in the first place.

Senior Tuner
    are you actually feeling this timing loss? I don't see antying out of the ordinary.. Time stamp?
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

I actually feel timing loss on mine and can't figure it out either.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...-for-no-reason
    L99 A6 - DSS FX Forged Piston's, Eagle ESP L19 Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, LS9 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnion Upgrade, TSP Chrome Molly Pushrods, BTR .660 Valve Springs, GM Hollow Intake Valves, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, IR EGM-205 Oil Pan Baffle, CAI Intake, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, ZL1 Pump, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    are you actually feeling this timing loss? I don't see antying out of the ordinary.. Time stamp?
    Ben, are you saying I should make the torque management values more realistic? Maybe start from stock and bump them a tad. I have noticed these combos do weird stuff when you max them out. My truck is an 08 with this same controller combo and it does weird stuff when I do that. I've just never narrowed down exactly what causes it.

yessir, you can feel it, its definitely pulling it. You can see it all over the file but a good example is 1:02.

morepowerjoe: start with stock TM tables and bump them up if needed but only enough to make it any limiting go away. Problem for me is this car is an hour away and the customer wont leave it with me to try fixing it.

Quote Originally Posted by GPGTP View Post
    Ben, are you saying I should make the torque management values more realistic? Maybe start from stock and bump them a tad. I have noticed these combos do weird stuff when you max them out. My truck is an 08 with this same controller combo and it does weird stuff when I do that. I've just never narrowed down exactly what causes it.

yessir, you can feel it, its definitely pulling it. You can see it all over the file but a good example is 1:02.

morepowerjoe: start with stock TM tables and bump them up if needed but only enough to make it any limiting go away. Problem for me is this car is an hour away and the customer wont leave it with me to try fixing it.
    But I have most of the TM tuned out. Are you saying that I need it on in stock from. Because I used to not have this problem I only noticed it after I had my exhaust changed and rescaled my maf. I'm starting to wonder if it has something to do with the virtual torque which I haven't touched?
    L99 A6 - DSS FX Forged Piston's, Eagle ESP L19 Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, LS9 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnion Upgrade, TSP Chrome Molly Pushrods, BTR .660 Valve Springs, GM Hollow Intake Valves, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, IR EGM-205 Oil Pan Baffle, CAI Intake, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, ZL1 Pump, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter

Tuning Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
    But I have most of the TM tuned out. Are you saying that I need it on in stock from. Because I used to not have this problem I only noticed it after I had my exhaust changed and rescaled my maf. I'm starting to wonder if it has something to do with the virtual torque which I haven't touched?
    Pretty sure yours is a different issue - did you ever fix the tcc slip problem?

Then if this started only after rescaling the MAF - did you lower the MAF? If you did then yes increase the "airmass" side of the torque model by roughly the same amount that you lowered the MAF by.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

I haven't messed with the tcc slip just yet because I don't know if I truly have a problem with it. The truth is I forgot to save a as found file before I did the maf rescale. What exactly do you mean by lowering the maf are you talking about raising or lowering the fueling?

Tuning Addict
    Well, you're not exactly raising or lowering fueling. You're raising and lowering air that the ecm uses to calculate fuel corrections. Basically the same thing, but nevertheless - did you lower or raise the MAF curve from what it was previously? If you lowered it then to get the same torque correction then the "airmass" tables need to be raised by roughly what you took out of the MAF. If you raised the MAF then you might possibly need to raise the "map" side to balance them back out.

Your whole issue in the log you posted on the other thread was a slipping tcc. At least from what I was seeing. All of your pressure apply tables are zeroed out - unique operating system that did that from factory - guess it's possible? Simple test - change the tcc settings to not apply in any gear - is the problem gone?
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Thank you, I'll give it a try.