Thread: OBD II port issues

Potential Tuner

OBD II port issues

I just picked up a scanmaster and cannot get my OBD II port to work with my car. The unit will power up and show the versions but goes dead after that. I just checked it in my buddies car and it works great! I pulled the panel down and removed the plug and found everything to be ok with it. Does anyone have any advice as to where to start the troubleshooting process? I know the port has power as it starts the unit fine. After talking with the Scanmaster on it they thought my port was bad. How can I verify this? Is there a pin on the computer that I can check continuity with the wires on the port? I'm guessing if I did that I should dis-connect my PCM first? Any help would be great! My biggest reason for posting this in this firum is that I will be purchasing HPtuners in the near future and would like ti make sure my port is unctioning correctly.

Potential Tuner
    Anyone have any info at all??

Does this scam master thing hook up to a laptop? Are you sure it is not getting power from the laptop? The reason I say that is most of the guys on this forum that claimed the port was fine but could not connect ended up finding a blown fuse that powers the port... its worth a check... Goodluck.

Potential Tuner
    No laptop! It's just a scan/display tool.

Potential Tuner
    Does the cigarette lighter work? If it doesnt, you have a blown fuse. Had that happen to me once before.

Tuner in Training
    Grab a test light and check pin 16. Should be batt voltage, that's what powers up most adapters. If not start checking fuses.

Refering to aldl pins-

\ ---------- /
    \ ---------16/

John

lol this post is three months old.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Tuner in Training
    oops, didn't look at all the dates-

John-