Thread: 98os

Tuner in Training

98os

I searched the forum but could not find any one spot that said what was so bad about the 98 os. Can someone please tell.

Thanks in advance

Senior Tuner
    There is nothing wrong with the 1998 OS, many of the fastest LS1 have run on that OS. It is easier to tune with a newer OS, like 1-BAR support for both SD and MAF, but other then that, it will work just fine.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 12secSS
    There is nothing wrong with the 1998 OS, many of the fastest LS1 have run on that OS. It is easier to tune with a newer OS, like 1-BAR support for both SD and MAF, but other then that, it will work just fine.
    Ok, I was reading that a lot of people have had problems with the 98's but did not give specifics except that one ended up firing the ECU.

98 z28, M6, LT w/ ory, 3in cat back, magnaflow, hotchkis suspension kit, TT'2

Senior Tuner
    If you load up some other vehicles calibration, that can be possible. Also if you loose power, you may loose your ECM. This was typical with LS1-Edit, but the guys at HPTuners have been able to make sure that ECM-firing issues have been minamized through their security checks.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by goldz28
    Ok, I was reading that a lot of people have had problems with the 98's but did not give specifics except that one ended up firing the ECU.

The 98's do not have the checks and balances the 99 and later OS's do.

So whatever you do, do not try and write calibrations from other vehicles or mix up custom operating system files. You will wind up with a dead VCM.

-Ken

Tuner in Training
    Then I should be ok since I am only going to be doing tunes for myself.

Thanks

98 z28, M6, LT w/ ory, 3in cat back, magnaflow, hotchkis suspension kit, TT'2