Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Wideband to use?

Tuner in Training

What Wideband to use?

Hey guys

Have the HP Tuners Pro MPVI data logger and am wondering what you guys are using as a wideband setup to connect to the data logger?

I Would like to know if the AEM gauge setup would have the wiring I would need to connect to the MPVI so I could data log the wideband.

I have a 2001 Z06 with a 403ci LS2 and a T-Trim at 12lbs.

Please let me know what you all recommend as I am new tuning things myself I am just starting to get into wanting to tune myself. I do have a pro comming down to do the intitial tune but I would really like to do the tunning from then on.

Thanks Guys

I use the FJO wideband, and hooked up the analog output to pins 1 & 5 of the MPVI Pro interface. The scanner has the FJO pid already set up. Never had a problem with it, and have tuned many vehicles with it. Just let FJO know that you don't need their gauge or software since you are using the Hp Tuner's software/scanner.

http://www.fjoracing.com/index.php

Russ Kemp

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ K
    I use the FJO wideband, and hooked up the analog output to pins 1 & 5 of the MPVI Pro interface. The scanner has the FJO pid already set up. Never had a problem with it, and have tuned many vehicles with it. Just let FJO know that you don't need their gauge or software since you are using the Hp Tuner's software/scanner.

http://www.fjoracing.com/index.php

Russ Kemp
    Sweet ! thanks Russ !

Tuner in Training
    Russ can you point me to exactly what i need on the page as I want to make sure that I am getting exactly what you have. Also it seems that it doesn't come with 02 sensor

thanks
    Last edited by MotleyDrew; 07-03-2007 at 10:11 AM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    you'll find at lease someone that has used about everyone on the market.

Me, I use the ole trusty LM1, but you'll see people who use the LC1's, AEM, dynojet wideband commander, AFX, etc.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Senior Tuner
    The AEM is a simple three wire hook up. I use it exclusively and it is very simple to trasfer from vehicle to vehicle, or just permanently install. With the AEM, the gauge is the controller, so all you have to worry about is where to mount the gauge and the two harnesses (one for the power and out put, the other for the sensor). You will be very pleased with it. I also am starting to use the NTK/NGK/AFX wideband, it is also very portable.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 12secSS
    The AEM is a simple three wire hook up. I use it exclusively and it is very simple to trasfer from vehicle to vehicle, or just permanently install. With the AEM, the gauge is the controller, so all you have to worry about is where to mount the gauge and the two harnesses (one for the power and out put, the other for the sensor). You will be very pleased with it. I also am starting to use the NTK/NGK/AFX wideband, it is also very portable.

Can you link me to the exact one you are talking about. This AEM one also links with the MPVI Pro for data logging as well right?

thanks for everyones helps as I am new to this !

Tuner in Training
    I have been doing some rresearch and found that the LC-1 should work with HP Tuners....this is correct? Do you know if it comes with everything I need to connect it to the MPVI Pro?

let me know guys

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by MotleyDrew
    Can you link me to the exact one you are talking about. This AEM one also links with the MPVI Pro for data logging as well right?

thanks for everyones helps as I am new to this !
    This is the one I use, you can find ut cheaper from various distributors.

http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory.aspx?CategoryID=67

Also, any Wideband that has a 0v-5v output signal will work with HPTuners.

Tuner in Training
    For what it's worth, the "latency issue" (as pointed out in the Ford Muscle test) with the DJ WBC was because of improper set up on their part. There is a setting in the software that "dampens" the output to the gauge and 0-5v output. Setting the "Gauge Smoothing" to 0 will provide as close to real time as you you can get, but if you crank up the smoothing, the gauge will be dampened, and the 0-5v output will have an increase in latency.
    Last edited by Dyno Dan; 07-05-2007 at 04:41 PM.
    2006 AWD TBSS
    STS T67 Turbo Kit
    12.2@112 MPH (Las Vegas, uncorrected, stock trans and converter)

2009 G8 GT
    Maggie TVS1900 3.3" pulley
    411 rwhp (all stock other than the Maggie)

Tuner in Training
    Thanks Guys...I bought the LC-1

Advanced Tuner
    LC-1 is what I am looking at too.. I have been holding off on this for waaaay too long.

Tuner in Training
    I ordered the LC-1 today. Now, exactly where do I install it? In a factory hole, before a cat or after the pipes merge? I am going to load HP tuner in the morning and do some logging as I run errands.

Put it close to where the stock O2's are. You can use the stock location if you plan to have the LC-1 simulate a narrow band as well as output the 0-5V WB signal. Do you have headers? Problem with the stock manifolds (at least on my old C5) is that they are double walled so it's very hard to prevent air leaks.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

RussK wrote:
    Russ just a quick question... is there a need to verify the output of the fjo... what I mean is without the gauge or software am I just trusting that the analog out and hptuners scanner display is spot on? Is it still possible to "free air auto cal" the fjo style without the software? Just curious. Thank you in advance.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Hauss
    RussK wrote:

Russ just a quick question... is there a need to verify the output of the fjo... what I mean is without the gauge or software am I just trusting that the analog out and hptuners scanner display is spot on? Is it still possible to "free air auto cal" the fjo style without the software? Just curious. Thank you in advance.
    Just switched to an FJO and wondering the same thing.

looks like I was too late on this post, DO NOT BUY LC1. Those WB controllers are crap and you will be sending them back for repair to innovate. I went through 3 of these, friends went through several, they overhead, can't keep their programming, drift, don't have a nice output, is not portable, and so on.

LM1 is ok but still has some oddball issues with it's memory. I like the NGK.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Quote Originally Posted by Hauss
    RussK wrote:

There is no user calibration on the FJO wideband that I have (5 years old). Maybe on their latest wideband controllers?

Russ Kemp

Man I almost bought the LC1 a while back when it was the rave on this forum

Now im affraid to pull the trigger on any of them :-(

I need only I can pull from car to car with each tune