Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need reviews of tuning guide

Advanced Tuner
    Updated it with a few more screenies...

CLICK HERE

I think there might need to be some more verbiage in the VE tuning using LTFT section, but I'm still working out just what that might be.

Thanks bud!
    -Eagle
    2011 Z07 Carbon Edition

Tuner in Training
    Awesome work Eagle! I'll update it and post the new version tomorrow.
    '01 Z06, American Racing LT Headers w/cats, Halltech CAI, BB Bullets Exhaust.

Advanced Tuner
    Step 4 - instead of manually removing the spark, why not copy the KR historgram, and then use the 'Paste Special - Subtract' option to hit all the cells at once?
    1998 NBM Camaro Z28
    LS3 motor
    Mod list

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimMueller
    Step 4 - instead of manually removing the spark, why not copy the KR historgram, and then use the 'Paste Special - Subtract' option to hit all the cells at once?
    You can do this but make sure you've filtered out any bad data.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    What's the recommended filter?
    1998 NBM Camaro Z28
    LS3 motor
    Mod list

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Really depends on the car...you with a 98 LS1 should know this best

Someone on the forum was doing just as you said until his spark advance in that cell was 2* from the stock 35* or so. Just be realistic & use some common sense when it comes to things like that.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

I know its old, but the guide is fairly good, just thought I would add this to the Wideband area for us guys with the new Equations based VE with the help of Bluecat's program for converting the equation into a standard VE table for easy editing.

Here is the link to the prog if you haven't found it yet. http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14558

Just insert your information into the equations formula which you will get from Engine/Airflow/Dynamic Airflow & Speed Density

From Dynamic Airflow you will get the numbers from "Zone RPM Boundaries" and "Zone Map Boundaries" as you see them into the Equation.txt file.

After that you go to Speed Density. Here you will want the numbers from just the top row as they are the same down the columns. You will grab the top row from "Constants", "Map2", "Map", "Map.RPM", "RPM2" and "RPM". As I said, just the top row. Once you get them all in the equations file save it and open the Bluecat proggy up (May have to get the old school DLL, there are links in the program thread.) I selected LS2 VE Format (More in a sec), Automatic Format, Automatic Zone Bounderies and Show Graph. Left max RPM and Zones alone. Hit the Gen Table and you should see a green grid representing your fuel table, man ain't it ugly! Now you have a standard VE table file. Open the text file "Table_Out.txt" in Excel as a tab deliminated file and it should start to look familiar.

From here jump in the members section and grab a stock tune from an LS2 Corvette (tranny doesn't matter, just going to use this to smooth our file out.) Open it up (say no to registering the vehicle, we won't be saving anything.) and go to Engine/Airflow/Main VE (Primary) and paste your numbers from the excel into the VE table here. You now can tweak your VE table based on the tuning steps in Cpigs guide by logging your AFR error and using the paste special multiple % command. This is a lot easier than making adjustments and hand smoothing missed points in Excel, makes the job go by in a few minutes as opposed to hours. The guide is really good for indepth tuning, just not for us equation guides. (By this time you should have done some datalogging to get your AFR Err, the guide talks about this in depth, just gotta do the steps above when he says to paste into your VE table, lol.)

After you adjust your fuel curves using the guide you will copy the numbers from the Editor back into the file in Excel. When your done save this as Table.txt and go back into Bluecats program and hit the Gen Equation (making sure the same things are checked below). This part takes awhile so go grab a drink and wait for it to compile. Once it is done copy the numbers from equation out back into each field on your LS3 file and when your done save it as tune1 or something and write config. Go out and datalog watching your wideband and your AFRErr histo and you should see better numbers now as you will be more dialed in on the fuel side. If need be, rinse and repeat as the guide says.

Basically you should do the above steps between the "Data Logging" step and the "Update .HPT File" step in Cpig's guide.

At this point I would follow out the rest of Cpig's guide and adjust the MAF, timing, BK, ect.

Hope this helps as I have been scratching my head for awhile trying to figure out how to get this beast tuned. Feel free to PM me with any questions reguarding the steps I have laid down.

Thanks Cpig, this writeup helps alot.
    Last edited by ws6ick; 06-20-2008 at 10:29 AM.

Thanks Cpig exelent doc.
    Chevrolet LS1 Camaro 1999 M6

My FQuick

Very nice and well done. It's 13500kHz I think the car would croak at a MAF frequency of 13500Mhz.
    06 GPGT, HPtuner, K&N CAI, ZZP CC Plog/Pem/Co, 3" DP HF Cat, Corsa Catback, ZZP 3.5 MPS, 180 stat, AL104s

Am I the only person whos brain hurts after reading that???
    Mike
    2007 C6 coupe LS3 416 6 speed mn Z51 3LT
    Vararam Snake charmer 160 Stat
    Kooks 1 7/8 headers with jet hot
    Fast 102 ported intake 102 TB RPM Level 5 T56
    MGW short throw ZIP 4.10 Severe Duty rear
    RPS TWIN DISC CARBON CLUTCH CCWs ele wp
    RPM LEVEL 5 TRANS W/HARDENED OUTSHAFT
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtOPy_lp2QY

10.66 1.47 60ft 133+mph

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadC6
    Am I the only person whos brain hurts after reading that???
    Mike
    Nope, but you'll get the picture after going over it and trying it out a few times.
    Tuning is complicated but it does start to make sense after a while.
    Hang in there because it it's way better to make changes anytime you want without having to pay someone else and on their schedule.

Tuner
    Ya ain't the only one lookin' fer aspirin! Whew, one quick question, (actually, there are thousands, the head ache is fogging them out), what is the difference between knock retard attack and delay?

Thank you so much for making this guide, I couldn't find a good place to begin learning how to tune, this helped get me on my feet a little

Potential Tuner
    absolutely great!!! received hp tuners about a week ago. +20 hours of reading,research,navigating. i knew the terms. and i knew the "why" but not the "how". naivagiting the software is fairly overwhelming at first, this helped a ton and gave me a better understanding of it all.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for compiling the guide into a more user friendly document! Excellent info and I wish I could add something but I am still trying to absorb the provided info. Keep up the great job!

Tuner
    I finally got smart and printed it out, left next to my bed to read at night, or bring into the "library", a lot to think about! AWESOME effort, much appreciated! A couple of questions, on page three, the unit conversion for figuring your fuel injectors, there are four boxes, current INJ flow, current fuel pressure, new fuel pressure and new INJ flow. The steps direct me to "enter in your new injector flow rating and fuel pressure it is rated at." Which of the four boxes does that go, current or new, because the last step states that "Your new injector flow rate will be calculated automatically." Also confusing me are "current fuel pressure" and "new fuel pressure"
    Page 11, Set up Open Loop Speed Density, you suggest to multiply the table by 1.15 to add a bit of fuel to be safe. 15% seems a bit much to me, or is there a reason to worry about it running lean while doing this set up? Wouldn't this make for some extra work straightening out the table later?
    I know there are a couple of other things I am having trouble wrapping my head around, half way through the second read of this, I got a pencil to make notes/questions, so when I go through it yet again, I'll have some more question, hopefully others besides myself will get some issues cleared up, thanks again, putting this together ain't a 15 minute deal!

Cpig, on page 5, you say, "allow LTFTs to learn themselves out". How do I know when they're are "learned out"? You also say, "When your STFTs are all fairly near 0..." How do I know when they're near 0? There's also mention of a LTFT historgram. Where can I find that?

Tuner in Training
    Is this still current 1.5 yrs later?
    09 G8 GT

Tuner in Training FunkyStickman's Avatar
    The methods of tuning haven't changed, really. The document is still good, it's very well written, and it really helped me out a LOT. I'll re-read it later on and give you some more solid input, but it's definitely a godsend.