Thread: Wideband and STS turbo

Wideband and STS turbo

It's been discussed that a wideband should be after the turbo to prevent inaccuracies due to backpressure. On a remote mount turbo (STS), with stock exhaust, the turbo is after the cats. I have read elsewhere that in this case, the wideband should still be after the turbo, and that being after the cats will only throw you off by about .1 or .2 AFR. Is it alright to have the wideband after the turbo, after the cats, or should this be avoided by removing or gutting cats?

Thanks
    2005 Sierra Z71 SLT CCSB (LM7)
    STS GT67, LPE GT 2-3, ASP Pulley, Delphi 42#, A'PEXi AVC-R, PLX SM-AFR, FLT Level 5 4L65E, PI Vig 2600, HP Tuners with 2-Bar SD OS (Plus some smaller mods)

Support our Troops

Thats an interesting question, not sure I know the definitive answer. Personally I would put the WB in the header collector, particularly if you're planning on retaining the cats.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

That particular issue is unique to rear mounts. And yes you have to put the wide band in the tailpipe and hope for the best...
    As far as the cats biasing the readings, they will but as to + or - I don't know as I've seen it go both ways in the same run on the same vehicle. AFR measurements are somewhat density sensitive so if your density changes substantially over the run your tailpipe AFR will move around as well.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Tuner
    I have heard of guys putting it before the cats without a problem. I was told it doesnt really make a difference if its upstream or downstream of the turbo. but then again I have heard that the backpressure can cause problems or premature sensor failure?
    So in the end i have no clue lol i'm in the same boat, turbo goes on friday and I dont know where to put it.
    03 4x4 ECSB Silverado 4.8L, 305/40/r22, remote turbo @ 6psi, 44# injectors, Tr6

So we have:
    Before the cats and deal with the backpressure, and possibly higher EGT's
    or
    After the turbo and deal with the cats, lower EGT's and exhaust density.

Somebody with a lot of time and a few identical widebands could figure this out, but I don't have either of those things.
    Right now it looks like th best bet is gut the cats and put it after the turbo.
    STS GT67, LPE GT 2-3, ASP Pulley, Delphi 42#, A'PEXi AVC-R, PLX SM-AFR, FLT Level 5 4L65E, PI Vig 2600, HP Tuners with 2-Bar SD OS (Plus some smaller mods)

Support our Troops

Before the cat's will definitely screw up the readings of the wideband. They *are* pressure sensitive.

Quote Originally Posted by EC_Tune
    Before the cat's will definitely screw up the readings of the wideband. They *are* pressure sensitive.
    What about the temperature of the exhaust. Since the exhaust is so much colder, and probably more dense, will it cause a problem? It would be right before the rear axle on a truck.

Take a look at their Mustang twin turbo. It literally has exhaust tips coming out of the turbos. Widebands would be waaaaay back there.

Support our Troops

Yep, but it's the only way to keep pressure issues out of your wideband.

I'm looking at gutting the cats now, just need to find a way to gut the stock cats. The local exhaust guy won't do it....

Great discussion guys...thank you

Support our Troops

Tuner in Training
    FWIW, I ran and tuned my STS with stock cats and WB 6" after the turbo for 9 months, before I got an off road Y-pipe with out issue. When I put the ORY on it my tune was still very close (.1-.2 diff maybe), I attribute the differences more to increase in air flow then not having the cats in there.
    01 GMC ECSB 5.7 LS1 4X4
    Custom Kbracing96 Front Mount BW S480 Turbo
    12.2@110mph

Tuner
    i kept my cats and put the wb 6" after the turbo as well
    03 4x4 ECSB Silverado 4.8L, 305/40/r22, remote turbo @ 6psi, 44# injectors, Tr6