Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Disabling VATS on non-Alloytec V6 car PCMs

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by 99ssei View Post
    Wrote new file to PCM with PWM VATS and would not stay running. Here's the bin and scan. I could not find the PID for VATS. I emailed to you Bill and [email protected] (is that right?).

This may also be a reason why I cannot keep the fans from staying on after shut off as commanded in file as well as why the aftermarket fuel pump wire kit via Casper's does not work.
    Thoughts?
    FYI, vats is set to serial from what I can see in the newest beta, that might be the issue.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    FYI, vats is set to serial from what I can see in the newest beta, that might be the issue.
    I downloaded the file from this page and opened it. In version 2.22, VATS is set to PWM.

Last edited by 99ssei; 12-28-2010 at 09:00 PM.
    99 Dark Metallic Bronzemist SSEi, 187K, S3, P&P GenV, 3.4MPS, N*TB & LQ4, SLP Headers, Cat & EGR Delete, Hockey puck TA mount, Solid Trans/Motor mount, KYB fronts, MSD Wires&Coils, TRE-340, Thrasher CAI w/ 9" K&N, C-Ya Shift Kit, Hayden Trans cooler.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I downloaded the file from this page and opened it. In version 2.22, VATS is set to PWM.

Then it was addressed wrong in 2.22 and its been fixed in the newest beta software.

Downloaded beta version, changed VATS from PWM to Serial and wrote calibration only. Recall DTCs were already disabled. I started the car and it stalled after 3 seconds run time. I did not have time to scan the data, but will do again this weekend and post. Should I do a full write instead of calibration only?
    99 Dark Metallic Bronzemist SSEi, 187K, S3, P&P GenV, 3.4MPS, N*TB & LQ4, SLP Headers, Cat & EGR Delete, Hockey puck TA mount, Solid Trans/Motor mount, KYB fronts, MSD Wires&Coils, TRE-340, Thrasher CAI w/ 9" K&N, C-Ya Shift Kit, Hayden Trans cooler.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Write cal only is fine.

Was going to write BIN w/ PWM enabled, when I noticed in my last file that it already is set to PWM Sooo...in v2.23, if you change PWM to Serial it's the same as if you changed serial to PWM in 2.22. And with v2.23 showing PWM under VATS, and the DTC's disabled, the security light is still on...

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    with v2.23 showing PWM under VATS, and the DTC's disabled, the security light is still on...
    Not abnormal. PCM doesn't control the security light, thats likely the bcm or some other module

I was told it's the Pass Key II resistor that commonly breaks in the steering column. Fortunately for me, car still starts and works fine. I don't feel like pulling the air bag to find out.

http://vats.likeabigdog.com/

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners View Post
    To disable VATS you must do the following:

1. Set the VATS value to "PWM"
    2. Set DTC P1626 to "3 - No Error Reported"
    3. Set DTC P1629 to "3 - No Error Reported"

If you have problems please email your file and a scanner log while logging the VATS status bit to support.

Chris...
    Would this solve no start issues directly related to the Passlock system. Not so concern with lights, just starting and running. In theory does this tell the PCM to ignore or not look for the code/password from the BCM? To allow starting everytime.
    02 35thSS,A4>M6, 3.73 gear, PRC stg 2.5 5.3L heads,TS torquer v2 cam 232/234 .595/.598 112LSA,CAI,36lb injectors, shorty headers, gutted cats, racetronix pump w/ hotwire, HP Tuners,NGK WB through EGR, Bunch of UMI and Spohn susp. parts. All work done by me, and tuned with the help of some great people on this forum!

Senior Tuner
    yes

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by rnl35thss View Post
    Would this solve no start issues directly related to the Passlock system. Not so concern with lights, just starting and running. In theory does this tell the PCM to ignore or not look for the code/password from the BCM? To allow starting everytime.
    Quote Originally Posted by MMGT1 View Post
    yes
    Is Passlock the same as Passkey?

Would this allow replacement keys with no Passlock/key key chip to work in vehicles designed with the Passlock/key?

Senior Tuner
    I dont think so. Pretty sure passkey is a whole other animal. If you go to youtube and search passlock, you'll find a few vids on how to over ride passkey. They do work but you'll have to be OK with the light staying on in your dash.
    2000 Trans Am WS6

1997 Monte Carlo

Set PWM and disabled DTCs. Car would start and run for 3 seconds. Changed back to serial and car fires right up and runs normally. I have the latest beta.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
    1997 Monte Carlo

Set PWM and disabled DTCs. Car would start and run for 3 seconds. Changed back to serial and car fires right up and runs normally. I have the latest beta.
    Email support with the file & infolog and we can check the address

Rockrz: I'm new to this forum as well as to using HP Tuners. I own a 2003 S10 with 4.3. Any information that you are willing to share with me pertaining to our type of trucks would be greatly appreciated. (i.e. alternate PCM's, better MAPs for boost, etc) Thanks. :-)

1997 V6 Grand Am, changed vats to PWM and the car would barely run as if was really laboring. Changed back to stock (serial) and car runs fine. All the vats dtc's are set to no error reported.

2000 GTP, a start & stall with vats codes then setting the vats to serial & disabling the vats dtc's, the car would still start & stall in 2 sec. Also the security light was on so the car is in anti-theft mode currently.

Returned the vats back to PWM (stock) the car would run fine with the anti-theft light flashing for 10 min, then go out til the next key cycle. So the customer got us to replace his ignition lock cylinder so he didn't have to look at the flashing anti-theft light.

Russ Kemp
    Last edited by Russ K; 07-09-2012 at 11:26 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    im pretty sure hp tuners is missing a selection when it comes to vats on these v6 cars, i have another tuning software and my choices for all the 3.1, 3.4, 3.8 engines is vats: 0, 1, 2

all the ones i have done have 1 selected stock, and when i turn vats off all i do is change it to 0 then turn off the vats dtc's and the ecm starts and runs the engine fine with no bcm even
    2010 camaro L99, Magnacharger TVS 2300, 415ci LS3,Kooks long tubes, yank ss3200, 3.73 rear

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    The VATS switch we have in the software is really all that is necessary, I've helped dozens if not hundreds of customers with switching vats off on their V6 and have never needed to add any additional tables to accomplish this.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ K View Post
    1997 V6 Grand Am, changed vats to PWM and the car would barely run as if was really laboring. Changed back to stock (serial) and car runs fine. All the vats dtc's are set to no error reported.

2000 GTP, a start & stall with vats codes then setting the vats to serial & disabling the vats dtc's, the car would still start & stall in 2 sec. Also the security light was on so the car is in anti-theft mode currently.

Returned the vats back to PWM (stock) the car would run fine with the anti-theft light flashing for 10 min, then go out til the next key cycle. So the customer got us to replace his ignition lock cylinder so he didn't have to look at the flashing anti-theft light.

Russ Kemp
    If you run into an issue email support the .hpt file, with over 1,000 operating systems supported its possible the switch might be backwards in a few of them, we've fixed a few over the years.

Potential Tuner
    I need to disable VATS on this file. I've followed the steps in the OP, and it isn't working. It seems to fire one cylinder then shut down the injectors.

Vehicle is a 1985 Fiero, PCM is from a 1998 Buick Regal, engine is from a 1998 Buick Park Ave Ultra.
    Attached Files Attached Files