Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 44

Thread: Disabling VATS on non-Alloytec V6 car PCMs

  1. #1
    HP Tuners Owner Chris@HPTuners's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    5,248

    Arrow Disabling VATS on non-Alloytec V6 car PCMs

    To disable VATS you must do the following:

    1. Set the VATS value to "PWM"
    2. Set DTC P1626 to "3 - No Error Reported"
    3. Set DTC P1629 to "3 - No Error Reported"

    Additionally you might need to set
    4. Set DTC P1630 to "3 - No Error Reported"
    5. Set DTC P1631 to "3 - No Error Reported"

    If you have problems please email your file and a scanner log while logging the VATS status bit to support.

    Chris...
    Last edited by Bill@HPTuners; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:52 AM.
    I count sheep in hex...

  2. #2
    Potential Tuner
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2
    hi , how do you disable alloytec vats then ? having a few troubles with mine
    Last edited by Bill@HPTuners; 09-07-2007 at 10:27 AM.

  3. #3
    Tuner
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    77
    Will this change allow the vehicle to start even if there is a fault with the ignition switch and/or bcm on an 01 Malibu? If so, I'll license my sisters car to eliminate the headache. (there is a random "security" issue with it)
    Thanks

  4. #4
    HP Tuners Owner Chris@HPTuners's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    5,248
    Quote Originally Posted by rnl35thss
    Will this change allow the vehicle to start even if there is a fault with the ignition switch and/or bcm on an 01 Malibu? If so, I'll license my sisters car to eliminate the headache. (there is a random "security" issue with it)
    Thanks
    I don't know, there are many variations and possible faults.
    I count sheep in hex...

  5. #5
    Tuner
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    77
    Thanks Chris

  6. #6
    Tuner in Training
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners
    To disable VATS you must do the following:

    1. Set the VATS value to "PWM"
    2. Set DTC P1626 to "3 - No Error Reported"
    3. Set DTC P1629 to "3 - No Error Reported"

    If you have problems please email your file to support.

    Note: For v2.1.18 and earlier some vehicles may show the VATS type as the opposite than installed. If you see this try the other setting and please email your file to support so it can be fixed (so far i think i have fixed them all).

    Chris...
    Does this fully disable the VATS or just the error reporting for the check engine light?

  7. #7
    Will this work on my 2004 Silverado? Is that considered non-alloytech?

    I did a honda S2000 engine start button in my truck, and although the truck runs fine the VATS light stays on in the dash

  8. #8
    HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Bill@HPTuners's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Clermont, FL
    Posts
    22,585
    Quote Originally Posted by 04SilveradoMykk
    Will this work on my 2004 Silverado? Is that considered non-alloytech?

    I did a honda S2000 engine start button in my truck, and although the truck runs fine the VATS light stays on in the dash
    No it is not. It is closer to an LS1 pcm than anything else.

  9. #9
    Tuner Rockrz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    I'm right here!
    Posts
    168
    Wow, I wish I was able to find this thread earlier because another poster
    said all you had to do was set VATS to "None"

    So how/where to...

    2. Set DTC P1626 to "3 - No Error Reported"
    3. Set DTC P1629 to "3 - No Error Reported"

    Would any of this apply to me with a 2003 S10 Truck?

    Is mine a non-Alloytec V6? (I ain't never heard of an
    "Alloytec V6" back up in the hills...)
    Last edited by Rockrz; 02-26-2009 at 08:22 AM.
    I'm drivin a...2003 Chevrolet S10, Extended Cab, 2WD, Auto
    Transmission, 4.3L engine, Factory Ashtray, Vin Code X


  10. #10
    HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Bill@HPTuners's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Clermont, FL
    Posts
    22,585
    Your 03 4.3 truck uses an LS1(gen 3) style pcm. You should be able to set VATS to none under the system tab.

  11. #11
    Tuner Rockrz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    I'm right here!
    Posts
    168
    OK, thanx...I was thinking that would be correct
    since the topic was "non-Alloytec V6"
    I'm drivin a...2003 Chevrolet S10, Extended Cab, 2WD, Auto
    Transmission, 4.3L engine, Factory Ashtray, Vin Code X


  12. #12
    Tuner in Training
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    11
    Im having a big issue with this.

    Vehicle is a 96 Cutlass Supreme 3100/4T60E
    Using a 97 Lumina PCM - 3100/4T60E

    When I set the DTCs to no error reporting, all is fine, but it I set VATS from Serial to PWM the car barely runs, wont idle on its own, almost like it lost the CPS signal..

    Any ideas???

    Here is my HPT file
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2002 Buick Rendezvous CXL AWD
    LX9 Swapped

  13. #13
    Potential Tuner
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners View Post
    To disable VATS you must do the following:

    1. Set the VATS value to "PWM"
    2. Set DTC P1626 to "3 - No Error Reported"
    3. Set DTC P1629 to "3 - No Error Reported"

    If you have problems please email your file and a scanner log while logging the VATS status bit to support.

    Chris...
    So do the codes have to be set to "no error reported" to start?

    I have an 05 4.3L and have VATS set to none and it is no crank. I read in another thread that it will still crank, but will be a no start when VATS is active.

  14. #14
    HP Tuners Owner Chris@HPTuners's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    5,248
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynodale View Post
    So do the codes have to be set to "no error reported" to start?

    I have an 05 4.3L and have VATS set to none and it is no crank. I read in another thread that it will still crank, but will be a no start when VATS is active.
    the 4.3's use the same PCM as the LS1 V8's. The engine will still crank and fire momentarily if it's a VATs issue.
    I count sheep in hex...

  15. #15
    Potential Tuner
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners View Post
    the 4.3's use the same PCM as the LS1 V8's. The engine will still crank and fire momentarily if it's a VATs issue.
    I am still currently having a no crank issue on this swap. It will start and run with another pcm that has vats turned off. If I flash the pcm that is a no crank with the calibration from the other pcm it will start. Unfortunately I am having problems with the other calibration, I believe it is corrupt.

    Someone mentioned to me today that certain GM VATS also are no crank, but can't be shut off in the software so you have to manually over ride it. Has anyone ever heard of this???

  16. #16
    Tuner in Training
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by 1LoudCutty View Post
    Im having a big issue with this.

    Vehicle is a 96 Cutlass Supreme 3100/4T60E
    Using a 97 Lumina PCM - 3100/4T60E

    When I set the DTCs to no error reporting, all is fine, but it I set VATS from Serial to PWM the car barely runs, wont idle on its own, almost like it lost the CPS signal..

    Any ideas???

    Here is my HPT file
    bumpo
    2002 Buick Rendezvous CXL AWD
    LX9 Swapped

  17. #17
    Tuner in Training 99ssei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Schaumburg, IL
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by 1LoudCutty View Post
    Im having a big issue with this.

    Vehicle is a 96 Cutlass Supreme 3100/4T60E
    Using a 97 Lumina PCM - 3100/4T60E

    When I set the DTCs to no error reporting, all is fine, but it I set VATS from Serial to PWM the car barely runs, wont idle on its own, almost like it lost the CPS signal..

    Any ideas???

    Here is my HPT file
    Same here on my 99. All DTCs regarding VATS is disabled and no reporting. Won't run on PWM VATS. Only Serial
    99 Dark Metallic Bronzemist SSEi, 187K, S3, P&P GenV, 3.4MPS, N*TB & LQ4, SLP Headers, Cat & EGR Delete, Hockey puck TA mount, Solid Trans/Motor mount, KYB fronts, MSD Wires&Coils, TRE-340, Thrasher CAI w/ 9" K&N, C-Ya Shift Kit, Hayden Trans cooler.

  18. #18
    HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Bill@HPTuners's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Clermont, FL
    Posts
    22,585
    Quote Originally Posted by 99ssei View Post
    Same here on my 99. All DTCs regarding VATS is disabled and no reporting. Won't run on PWM VATS. Only Serial
    Email support the file with the vats set to pwm as well as a scanner log showing what it does with this set to pwm(make sure to log the vats status bit) and I'll have our gm engineer make sure the switch is correct.

  19. #19
    Tuner in Training 99ssei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Schaumburg, IL
    Posts
    45
    Wrote new file to PCM with PWM VATS and would not stay running. Here's the bin and scan. I could not find the PID for VATS. I emailed to you Bill and support@hptuners.com (is that right?).

    This may also be a reason why I cannot keep the fans from staying on after shut off as commanded in file as well as why the aftermarket fuel pump wire kit via Casper's does not work.
    Thoughts?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    99 Dark Metallic Bronzemist SSEi, 187K, S3, P&P GenV, 3.4MPS, N*TB & LQ4, SLP Headers, Cat & EGR Delete, Hockey puck TA mount, Solid Trans/Motor mount, KYB fronts, MSD Wires&Coils, TRE-340, Thrasher CAI w/ 9" K&N, C-Ya Shift Kit, Hayden Trans cooler.

  20. #20
    Tuner in Training 99ssei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Schaumburg, IL
    Posts
    45
    Scan today w/ VATS status bits included.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    99 Dark Metallic Bronzemist SSEi, 187K, S3, P&P GenV, 3.4MPS, N*TB & LQ4, SLP Headers, Cat & EGR Delete, Hockey puck TA mount, Solid Trans/Motor mount, KYB fronts, MSD Wires&Coils, TRE-340, Thrasher CAI w/ 9" K&N, C-Ya Shift Kit, Hayden Trans cooler.