Thread: IC boost loss, and leanly-ness.

Tuner in Training

IC boost loss, and leanly-ness.

I was happy with my tune Saturday . Got reasonable trims and everything was fine, no knock, good spark. 5psi on an STS kit.

Then my FIC showed up, so I installed it and now, the cars tune is in outerspace. Two questions.

1. Should an IC make the car lean out? After the install my car is LEAN, 20 longterms on both banks, the short terms look good mostly -3 -5 range, worse yet it now gets kr, for instance at 16 degrees WOT 4000 to 6000 w/out the ic the car did not knock .89~91 on the 02's. Now even backed out too 12 and added fuel too get 02's reading .89 ~91 respectivly thru same range but I'm getting 1- 1/2 degrees kr is this normal? Should an IC cause me to have to run more fuel and less timming? I have reworked my tune down too 10 for tommorows drive to work.

2. How much boost should I lose due to the IC? Before I was getting 5# dead on snappy boost, very hot IAT's as high as 130 on 70 degree days. Now I am getting 3 ish pounds of boost, still pretty snappy but not as snappy. IAT's max out around 108 (it was 98 out today so I think the IC is working)

Man any ideas?? I'v looked for leaks and can't find any, tried running an air compressor thru the system with an air guage and valve (used this to test my VW system up to 18lbs); Unfortunately the STS run is too long for my compressor to fill up, I did not hear any leaks, fairly satisified it's not leaking. Any other ideas how to test for that or what to look for?

If you're running a MAF check for leaks between it and the heads. Anywhere along that path can lead to lean LTFTs.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Tuner in Training
    I dunno can't find any leaks, unless the IC itself is leaking... don't have any good way to test it at the moment. Just kinda fed up, think I'm gonna ditch the IC and see if I get back to the decent 5psi tune it was running before. Today I saw 8 degrees of knock... ugh... I hope this thing don't go boom on me.