Thread: 6.0 Tuning Help

Tuner

6.0 Tuning Help

I am suppose to get my tuner Friday and I have 2 silverado HD's with 6.0's that need tuned. Does anyone have a tune i can compare with. Both of these trucks tow alot and need to get alittle better mpg.

Senior Tuner
    Stock, they do pretty good MPG wise. They do suffer from low ignition timing, but I would be cautious if you proceed without verifying the fueling first. You can modify the shift points and TCC apply/release points to achieve better MPGs.

Tuner
    thanks for the info. I'll start there along with removing the TM.

Get your shift pressures set up for a firm shift BEFORE removing the torque management! Then if your truck has the 4L80E, you can zero the trans upshift torque reduction and disable the trans abuse. If your tuning a Silverado SS with the 4L60E, just reduce the upshift torque management by 50%, unless you have the Corvette 2-4 servo installed.

On the 6L trucks, the PE is always delayed till ~5200 rpm. Change the delay to 0 rpm, the enable torque to 0% and set the enrichment rate to 4.

Russ Kemp

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ K
    Get your shift pressures set up for a firm shift BEFORE removing the torque management! Then if your truck has the 4L80E, you can zero the trans upshift torque reduction and disable the trans abuse. If your tuning a Silverado SS with the 4L60E, just reduce the upshift torque management by 50%, unless you have the Corvette 2-4 servo installed.

On the 6L trucks, the PE is always delayed till ~5200 rpm. Change the delay to 0 rpm, the enable torque to 0% and set the enrichment rate to 4.

Russ Kemp
    thank you, that is real helpful. Honestly im unsure what tranny is in them. 1 is a 2002 2500HD and the other is an 01 3500HD. I need to run the vin and find out.

Senior Tuner
    Both should have the 4L80E, if the 3500 had an 8.1L it would be an Allison.

Tuner
    my father has on 02 avalanche 2500 with the 8.1 but they didnt come with the allison. Does that mean it has the 4L80E?

The 8.1 came with both the Allison and the 4L80E. Just depends on the GVWR and the option list for the model year.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by EC_Tune
    The 8.1 came with both the Allison and the 4L80E. Just depends on the GVWR and the option list for the model year.
    Doing some research and it looks like the avalanche 2500 came with the 4L85E

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ K

Russ Kemp
    Are you referring to the PE delay when you say set the enrichment?

Yes, the PE delay is to changed to 0 rpm. The enrichment rate is set to 4.

Russ Kemp

Potential Tuner
    Just wanted to bring this back up as I have an 07 2500HD Classic and am looking for a little better mileage.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ K View Post

Russ Kemp
    Is enrichment rate actually enrichment ramp in?

Thanks a little new here.

Tuner in Training
    Correct

Tuner in Training
    Hey guys, I'm looking to tune my dads also. He refused to buy a duramax like mine so he stuck with the 6.0 also. 2005 gmc, can ya'll help me out with a tow tune? some ideas for one? He pulls a 64 GTO in a big inclosed trailer. Thanks guys!