Thread: Knock Sensor - no reading

Tuner in Training

Knock Sensor - no reading

Hi

Completely new to tuning and hence probably asking a silly question. I used the scanner for the first time and noted no activity in the chart or table in relation to the knock sensor. I suspect there could be 2 reasons - there was no knock detected or something is wrong. Should I be expecting any movement in relation to this parameter? I have a 2bar tune which is probably irrelevant.

Thanks

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    year/make/model vehicle. If its a standard LS1 vehicle & your reading 0 kr consider it a good thing.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    2003 VY SS Commodore (LS1).

thanks

It's definitely possible to have no KR anywhere and that probably means there is a lot of room for improvement.
    As a quick check add 3 degrees across the board to the HO & LO spark tables, if you get KR after that, it's real. If not, add 3 more & re check. If you get audible knock but you get no KR reported, then the knock sensor gain needs to be reduced (greater sensitivity).

Also as a generality, if you have KR under .3 g/cyl it's probably piston/valvtrain noise that the system is picking up. If you see KR at idle the sensors are WAY too sensitive and you are picking up noise as there isn't enough cylinder pressure at idle to have detonation/ping/knock.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Tuner in Training
    Thanks guys for the info. Much appreciated.

regards