Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So are we done, are we taking a backseat?

Quote Originally Posted by firecatGTP
    i'm still figuring all of this out, but I'm sure all of these other options will help out greatly once I get more familiar with everything. Thanks for everything you guys have done, you have been a TON of help already and I am just getting started. soooooo much reading but well worth it.
    I see that in my 04 GTP's. That's not the case for the 04 Impala SSs I assume?
    2001 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
    1995 Jeep Cherokee

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Onyx Dragon
    I see that in my 04 GTP's. That's not the case for the 04 Impala SSs I assume?
    Im assuming that you meant to quote me. We have the same exact tables. You dont have any open loop fueling tables or performance shift option tables either. If you have the latest beta you will have the afr spark table though.

Quote Originally Posted by 04impss
    Im assuming that you meant to quote me. We have the same exact tables. You dont have any open loop fueling tables or performance shift option tables either. If you have the latest beta you will have the afr spark table though.
    If I go into transmission, autoshift speed, there is a performance, and a normal shift option. In addition, if I go into shift properties, I have a normal and performance pressure setup. Under AutoTCC, for apply/release speed I also have normal and performance options. For TCC Duty Cycle I also have Maximum and Minimum. Then under torque management I also have the abuse mode and and torque reduction settings. Are those not what you are looking for?
    1995 Jeep Cherokee

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Onyx Dragon
    If I go into transmission, autoshift speed, there is a performance, and a normal shift option. In addition, if I go into shift properties, I have a normal and performance pressure setup. Under AutoTCC, for apply/release speed I also have normal and performance options. For TCC Duty Cycle I also have Maximum and Minimum. Then under torque management I also have the abuse mode and and torque reduction settings. Are those not what you are looking for?
    I have those tables too. The performace shift option table in question is what dhp calls shift switch type. it tells the pcm what type of switch you have to turn on performance shift. If your car was not shipped from the factory with performance shift the switch type is set to 0, which means you have no performance shift. To enable performance shift you need to change the switch from zero to one and run a wire from the switch to pin 21 on your pcm. This is the table im talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by 04impss
    I have those tables too. The performace shift option table in question is what dhp calls shift switch type. it tells the pcm what type of switch you have to turn on performance shift. If your car was not shipped from the factory with performance shift the switch type is set to 0, which means you have no performance shift. To enable performance shift you need to change the switch from zero to one and run a wire from the switch to pin 21 on your pcm. This is the table im talking about.

Ah. Gotcha. I have a Comp G, they have a type of performance shift from what I hear on clubgp, but IIRC, it happens when you're in tapshift mode, not automatic shift mode.
    1995 Jeep Cherokee

Potential Tuner
    Are there any tables that have to do with performance shift that are not yet available?

I'm not worrying about you adding them, just curious if there is a separate performance shift timing or a/f table. More the A/F than anything else. I'm kind of hoping there is so that i can do a mpg / perf switch.

Understanding that these would probably not be available anytime soon even if they do exist

no it just selects the trans tables.
    I count sheep in hex...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners

Quote Originally Posted by ct06gto
    So is the performance shift option and open loop fuel tables going to be added to the next release.
    "maybe" is the best answer i can give at the moment, it's going to go down to the wire...
    Is this still a maybe? I'm really hoping for the open loop tables for my GA. Also, can you confirm if it will be available for the 01 GA? I assume this will help me with my idle trims? I'm required to do an emissions test in January, and I'll need the help

Any other tidbits for the next release that us V6's would like?

Thanks Chris!!
    All Motor 2001 GA GT1

Advanced Tuner
    1. I have seen the open loop tables..

2. No, fuel trims are closed loop. Not going to touch your fuel trims by changing Open Loop.

Quote Originally Posted by bilemke
    1. I have seen the open loop tables..

2. No, fuel trims are closed loop. Not going to touch your fuel trims by changing Open Loop.
    Ok, I"m always getting confused by open and closed loop.

So, am I correct in:

closed loop = PE and idle
    open loop = (1-closed loop)

If this is the case, then how am I going to pass emissions Probably help with my fuel mileage, but as far as I know, there's nothing we can do for idle (except increase to around 1100 rpm). Think I'll make a new post for that question.
    All Motor 2001 GA GT1

Advanced Tuner
    Open Loop is a fall back for when something fails. You will not be commanding 14.7:1 AFR in open loop (generally).

Fuel trims are not updated in open loop. They are in closed loop, when the O2 sensor is used. Thus, you can be in closed loop at idle.

PE, well, that is another matter. But PE shouldnt be a concern right now if you are failing emissions tests.

o enable performance shift you need to change the switch from zero to one and run a wire from the switch to pin 21 on your pcm. This is the table im talking about.
    Why not just set up the Normal tables how you want?

When I had my 98 GTP, the perf shift was always on..and believe it or not I got better mileage with it on. (All stock).

Now in the GTP just set the tables up right and I have no worries tuning wise.
    2017 Chevrolet SS, Orange Blast Metallic, Rotofab CAI. Headers coming soon. Stock Tune for now
    Previous Rides: 2008 G8 GT, 2004 GTO, 2004 GTP, 2002 TA

Open Loop is a fall back for when something fails. You will not be commanding 14.7:1 AFR in open loop (generally).

Fuel trims are not updated in open loop. They are in closed loop, when the O2 sensor is used. Thus, you can be in closed loop at idle.

PE, well, that is another matter. But PE shouldnt be a concern right now if you are failing emissions tests.
    So, what you are saying is I have it backwards.

open loop = PE and idle (idle would be the only time 14.7 is commanded)
    closed loop = (1-open loop)

I thought the o2 was used in IDle? or is that only on the V8's? (ie LTIT & STIT)

I understand PE is not an issue, idle is the issue for emissions. Hence my questions about getting something for idle corrections.
    All Motor 2001 GA GT1

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    at idle you should be in closed loop.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    BTW you can monitor what state your in ie open/closed loop by logging it in the scanner status bits menu.

Advanced Tuner
    Open loop is triggered by the O2 sensor starting to switch and a table in the PCM that instructs the PCM to delay attempting to switch to closed loop for several seconds after the engine is started.

Open loop, if the o2 sensor is determined to not be functioning (amongst other things if I remember correctly) can remain enable indefinitely.

Closed loop can be at idle, light cruise, medium load, etc.. As long as you are commanding 14.7:1 and the o2 sensor is working. Fuel trims will be updated.

PE is kind of a mixed function. You may or may not have been in closed loop when PE was triggered. But, it will be situation where fuel trims do not get updated at all or at least not as often.

You need to tune closed loop for sure if you are failing emissions tests. Open loop, dont bother with. You shouldnt be in in open loop if you are going for a emissions test. You would fail the test on the spot if you were.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners
    BTW you can monitor what state your in ie open/closed loop by logging it in the scanner status bits menu.
    I never noticed this status bit.... I'll take a look. Thanks Bill.

Open loop is triggered by the O2 sensor starting to switch and a table in the PCM that instructs the PCM to delay attempting to switch to closed loop for several seconds after the engine is started.

Open loop, if the o2 sensor is determined to not be functioning (amongst other things if I remember correctly) can remain enable indefinitely.

Closed loop can be at idle, light cruise, medium load, etc.. As long as you are commanding 14.7:1 and the o2 sensor is working. Fuel trims will be updated.

PE is kind of a mixed function. You may or may not have been in closed loop when PE was triggered. But, it will be situation where fuel trims do not get updated at all or at least not as often.

You need to tune closed loop for sure if you are failing emissions tests. Open loop, dont bother with. You shouldnt be in in open loop if you are going for a emissions test. You would fail the test on the spot if you were.
    Thanks for the clarification. Make some sense now. I guess once I get my MAF tuned properly (using the how-to from Russ), I should see my idle and cruise lean out some. I tried doing a VE tune, but found it made no difference (as suggested by many others on the site).
    All Motor 2001 GA GT1

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners
    I have the following on my to-do list:
    - Perf Shift Option
    - Open loop fuel tables
    - 04+ AFR spark table

I'm trying to add these whenever i get a chance. The big issue for the V6 is there are hundreds of different calibrations and files. To give you an idea just to add one parameter or table for all V6's we support i need to modify almost 100 definition files!!!

I can't give a timeframe for it but i was hoping to do the perf shift option in .18 but it didn't make it.

Chris...
    Chris, does it look like we are still going to get these parameters on the next release?

Tuner in Training
    i was told theres a program that was posted on the PT forum that a guy created that allowed you to tune your fuel trims by using this program. there was no doing math or watching scans, you just ran the program while you drove and it did it all for you...

hes now making a perminent program for them, maybe look into this?
    99 GTP....Mods, yea i got a few

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior1683
    i was told theres a program that was posted on the PT forum that a guy created that allowed you to tune your fuel trims by using this program. there was no doing math or watching scans, you just ran the program while you drove and it did it all for you...

hes now making a perminent program for them, maybe look into this?
    Its called copy & pasted special