Thread: P0128 Code

Tuner

P0128 Code

Anybody been getting the P0128 code after installing a 160 Thermostat? I was wondering if it is OK to just disable that code without hurting something else.

Yes, on my old GTP.....and no it didn't hurt anything to get rid of the code, except maybe gas mileage from the colder running engine.
    2004 Impulse Blue A4 LS1 GTO

PRC Stage 2.5 5.3L Heads, PatG Custom Cam (227/232 .610/.604 111LSA), 1 7/8" Kooks LTs w/catted mids, FAST 90/PTM90, Yank 3600 Stall, Custom 4" Fenderwell CAI, BMR Drag Bags, Magnaflow Cat-Back, PBMFIsMe tune.

410/362 at the wheels
    [email protected] - Woohoo ! ! !

Tuner in Training

Problem related to P0128

I recently ran into a problem on an 08 chevy 5.3. The guy gutted his thermostat allowing the truck to run very cool (and also aided in preventing knock with advanced timing). The truck threw a P0128 code which we disabled the SES light. The problem is this: The truck eventually shuts down the air conditioner and gives this info: " Engine Hot/ A/C OFF" The electric fans then run constantly. Can anyone help with this? Is there a way to prevent the truck from going into this "Limp" mode?

My guess is that GM designed this into the programming to assume that a
    P0128 code could be triggered by a faulty Engine Coolant Sensor. The fans would run and the a/c would be turned off due to the fact that the ECM does not know the true ECT and must assume an overheated condition in order to preserve the engine. If I program code 128 to "no error reported" would that solve this problem?

Any help would be appreciated as lots of drag racers wouldn't mind deleted the thermostat........ Also even if they choose to run a 160 degree thermostat this could cause a problem.
    1999 Pontiac TransAm A4 LTs, ORY, LS6 Intake, PP 85mm TB, SLP Lid, TCI 3500 Stall, BFG Drag Radials, NX 100 shot setup,

2004 HD2500 GMC 4x4 crew cab

I know this is old but has there been a fix?

For anyone wondering in the future, the way P0128 works, is that if the vehicle doesn't reach operating temperature within a certain time, the car assumes something is wrong. The ECOTEC engine is designed for the thermostat to fail open, for safety/longetivity. It then cuts your AC, coolant temp display on the dash, and also in my case sent the car into some weird mode that ran awful. Pulled timing, sluggish, etc... Also the car would turn the cooling fans on 100%, which keep temps on my car at 155-160*.

When you disable P0128by setting the drop-down to 3-no error reported, it ignores the coolant temp logic. You don't lose AC, coolant temp display, and your fans work normally. I've been running a disabled P0128 for two years now with no issues.
    2008 Pontiac G5 2.2L (main oil seal became a crunchy Autumn leaf, RIP)
    2016 Fiesta 1.0L Ecoboost - Project "not-so-detestable"