Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Simple MAF airflow vs. Freq table question

Please go easy on the newb- how do I copy, paste and multiply by % into the VE table? Thanks!
    Joe

Wow. Well, this thread is all about MAF tuning, not VE, but all you need to do is select the cells you want to copy from the VE histogram in the scanner, right click, copy, then open the VE table in the editor and right click, "paste special", "multiply by %". it will take the numbers in the VE table and multiply them by whatever percentage error you logged in those cells. So if the 60 kPa, 2000 RPM cell is 90 and your fuel trim is +5 it will become 94.5 (or 95 if you're not displaying decimals). Don't forget to copy every other row of the primary VE table to the secondary VE table.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones
    Thanks 5 liter eater. I will disable the MAF and go for a long drive to fill in the LTFT histograms and see what I have.
    I believe I can right click that histogram and then go to the edit program and past that over the VE table and muliply the whole thing by % and it will correct the VE table accordingly. Will that work? Then keep doing this until the LTFT's are at or just below 0.
    That is what made me ask . Thanks for the help 5 liter! I know the basics and have done tuning with various systems (older Haltech and LT1 edit mainly), but learning my way around HPT is going to take a while . Thanks again.
    Joe

Every other row? Ok, do I smooth or interpolate when done, or just leave it?

Lastly on this subject- how do I clear my fuel trims before logging and such? Thank you much.
    Joe

The secondary VE table only has half the resolution, this every other row. Just copy and paste (normal paste) every other row from the primary VE to the secondary VE.

To clear your fuel trims use VCM Controls in the scanner (the green and red on/off/100% button next to the motor icon at the top). Go to the Fuel & Spark tab and click the Reset Fuel Trims button while connected to the PCM.
    Bill Winters

Thanks again! Time for some more logging now!
    Joe

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5_Liter_Eater
    I don't want to get into a 'how to create histograms 101' but there is really no need. Look at my post #12 and there are the histograms there for you that plot the long or short term fuel trims against the MAF table. There is no need to filter on sens.80 unless you have an LS2 with two MAF tables (high and low). If you are using a wide band then you would just replace the LTFT or STFT with the AFR Error PID. Then just copy and paste, multiply by % these errors into the MAF Calibration table.
    it would be nice, if someone did make a histogram 101. i know it would take a fair amount of time to make one, as there are a lot of vehicles that would have some differences. i've watched the histogram .swf. it's great for just know how to make one, but each one can be different.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5_Liter_Eater
    Wow. Well, this thread is all about MAF tuning, not VE, but all you need to do is select the cells you want to copy from the VE histogram in the scanner, right click, copy, then open the VE table in the editor and right click, "paste special", "multiply by %". it will take the numbers in the VE table and multiply them by whatever percentage error you logged in those cells. So if the 60 kPa, 2000 RPM cell is 90 and your fuel trim is +5 it will become 94.5 (or 95 if you're not displaying decimals). Don't forget to copy every other row of the primary VE table to the secondary VE table.
    5_Liter_Eater,
    You've almost given enough of a tutorial in this thread to make it a sticky for all of us newbie's
    Kipp
    2003 Z06 Blk/Blk/Torch Red
    2008 3/4T Duramax/Allison

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by r40734
    5_Liter_Eater,
    You've almost given enough of a tutorial in this thread to make it a sticky for all of us newbie's
    I'll say... I've learned a lot just by reading this thread. Thanks a bunch!

Quote Originally Posted by r40734
    5_Liter_Eater,
    I agree. I think I learned more just reading this one thread than I have browsing the last couple of weeks . I still have a long way to go, but I'm getting there. This HPT is years ahead of anything I have used in the past!!!
    Joe

Yes I am finally getting it thanks to 5 liter eater. I do have another question that I think I have overlooked.
    I must have missed the part about copying every other row of the primary VE table over to the secondary VE table.
    Does every car have a secondary VE table? I don't see one on my screen. Working on an 02 SS. Larry.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones
    Yes I am finally getting it thanks to 5 liter eater. I do have another question that I think I have overlooked.
    I must have missed the part about copying every other row of the primary VE table over to the secondary VE table.
    Does every car have a secondary VE table? I don't see one on my screen. Working on an 02 SS. Larry.
    Nope. Not every car has the secondary VE table. One less thing to worry about for you and me
    Kipp
    2003 Z06 Blk/Blk/Torch Red
    2008 3/4T Duramax/Allison

Man, you guys are giving me a big head over here. Glad to lend a hand.
    Bill Winters

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23
    it would be nice, if someone did make a histogram 101. i know it would take a fair amount of time to make one, as there are a lot of vehicles that would have some differences. i've watched the histogram .swf. it's great for just know how to make one, but each one can be different.
    I may take you up on that when I have some time. The first step is to understand the basics, the next step is harnessing the power of the histograms. They are very daunting at first but once you get the hang of them they practically do the work for you. Really there are only a few things to know about creating your own.
    Bill Winters