Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Idle tuning

Quote Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00 View Post
    log? tune?
    here is the tune,,
    can you share the recommended config to log idle?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    09 CTS-V A6

This is a 2006 file, you may want to post a separate thread in Gen 4. The stickies have info on what is recommended to log.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Tuner in Training
    ryans ls1 tune mod latest.hpti just read this whole page and i see some of the guys on here are all senior members and are talking way about me anyone wanna help a newbie.. i get pretty lost fast with the first steps because sure i know what your talking about but what button is that selection under? i got my car to idle but cant lean it up stays is the 10s maybe 11s you guys are talking 15.2 i cant find out how to hit that

Can an admin fix the pictures and reference attachments in this thread? There is an awful lot of info in the pics and attachments that are no longer available. Is it possible to recreate the pics and attachments as part of the post so us noobs can get the info?

Thanks in advance.
    02 NBM M6 TA, Mecham Hood and Wing, LS6, Mustang Specialties P&P 243 heads, Comp 1:8 roller rockers, 220/220/112/.565 custom cam, Holley 92mm TB, Dorman LS2 92mm intake, GM 85mm MAF, Volant Ram Air, Moser 4.11 12 bolt, Z06 clutch, SLP Bilsteins, 275/40 BFG Comp TA frt/ 315/35 Nitto 555 G2 rr, Hooker long tube headers, TSP 3" catted Y, Borla S type, MSD coil pacs, Bosch 36lb (811) injectors

Advanced Tuner
    When multiplying the VE how do I know if it's too much or not enough?
    60 80 90 seems like a lot?
    I've got a decent maf tune but my idle sucks.

Probably using the wideband to get a read of where my AFR vs etc should be ?

I'm also running a fairly large cam 234/244.
    Thanks guys
    I just need to get this thing to idle well to get it on the road.
    Last edited by anniversaryss; 04-13-2018 at 10:25 PM.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    I don't think they will fix this for you but I did save and upload images from another idle how too, maybe they can help you out with understanding this thread too.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwx...w?usp=drivesdk

Tuner
    Does any of this also apply to other engines as well, for example SBC 24x conversions, or is it specific to LSX?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by evilstuie View Post
    Does any of this also apply to other engines as well, for example SBC 24x conversions, or is it specific to LSX?
    Same concept

Non of your attachments are accessible. What is LTIT? I really want to know because I see things move around in ways that I think a background program in the ECU must be doing this...! PLEASE PLEASE Elaborate!

Advanced Tuner
    STIT
    Short Term Idle Trim
    LTIT
    Long Term Idle Trim

Quote Originally Posted by anniversaryss View Post
    STIT
    Short Term Idle Trim
    LTIT
    Long Term Idle Trim
    Thank you!

Advanced Tuner
    Quick question for anyone: Does increasing the IAC steps or decreasing them choke off air flow ?

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    more steps = more open.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    This was originally posted by Nogo a while back on LS1tech

Here are some things you can try.

Idle Limiters --> Idle Speed: 950

Idle Limiters --> IAC Park Position: Raise all points from 40C and up to 21

Idle Limiters --> Idle Air In Gear: All points 60C and up to 8.6

Fuel --> Main VE Table: Multiply column 400 rpm by .60. Multiply column 800 by .80. Multiply column 1200 by .90.

Ignition --> High Octane Table: Add 2 deg to all points 400 to 1000 RPM, .08 to .32 g/sec

Once done with this program, start the car and check for surging. If the car surges, unplug the IAC and see if the surging stops. If the surging stops follow below.

Idle Limiters --> Idle Air in Gear --> All points above 60C to 9.2

Take the car for a drive and check your idle. If the car goes on cruise control reduce the Idle Air in Gear Table .2 (further if necessary). If the idle holds at 2000 RPM for extended periods of time reduce the P/N Airflow Decay table for all points above 10 MPH by 5% (multiply by 95) until this stops. Be vary careful on this table.

If car keeps surging with the IAC unplugged two more things to try.

Multiply Main VE table by another .95 (which would be a total reduction of 85%). Repeat until the surging goes away, or until the car begins to hesitate when you take off.

High Octane Ignition Table. Reduce timing for all points 400 to 1000 RPM, .08 to .32 g/sec by 2. Repeat, but don't reduce it any more than 6 degrees.

If your car still doesn't idle after this, then you have other problems, and should start looking elsewhere.

Its not perfect & idle tuning is not always cut & dry but this has always been a very good starting point for idle tuning.

Feel free to add you .02 as to what has worked best for you guys, but try and keep the thread on track with the same type of information.
    Sorry, newb question, can someone please provide a little more detail on what this is?

*Also, is this if your starting point is a factory tune? What if you're already starting with a modified tune?*

Idle Limiters --> IAC Park Position: Raise all points from 40C and up to 21

Idle Limiters --> Idle Air In Gear: All points 60C and up to 8.6

Is this the idle airflow vs. coolant temp table?
    The 40C and 60C part is confusing.
    Last edited by BlackSunshine99; 06-01-2021 at 10:45 AM.

would i need to drill the hole out with stage 3 cam in my 02 silverado i have set the idle screw if i need to drill out the hole what size do i make the hole

my ecm is all stock setting gen 3 with cable do i change the idle rpm table to all 950 right now there 5.444