Thread: Lost base file

Potential Tuner

Lost base file

My enclave has been in the garage for almost 2 years. It will not crank after the rebuild. I have a feeling it might have been my fault with HP tuners. I cannot find the base file i took off the ECM. What is going to be my best chance of salvaging this cluster &*^% i have created? Can i load any tune from an 08 Enclave since i have it all licensed already or will i need to buy an ebay ECM tuned to my car? If the Ebay ECM is the way to go is my license attached to the VIN or the Computer S/N? Just wondering if i will need 2 more new licenses.

Any help is appreciated and welcome. Also since i wrote the initial program with VCM 4.6.3 should i stick with that trying to recover this whole operation?

Senior Tuner
    What makes you think the last file loaded onto the ECM isn't there?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
    What makes you think the last file loaded onto the ECM isn't there?
    It is probably there but since i am getting absolutely no crank i have a funny feeling it is incorrect or all together wrong. I do not have the stock tune backup i thought i made. Can i just load the "stock" tune from the tune repo and hope it actually is stock without the ECM going back to a stock format before burning that tune? This is my first venture with HP tuners and i am preparing for the worst. I have only ever used OBD tuners like for my 01 dodge cummins or I have had 5 cars with full stand alone fuel management. sorry for my ignorance on this.

Senior Tuner
    No, you don't want to write a file from the repository to your ECM. At least on a lot (most?) of GM's.

But way too soon to think that the ECM is shot.

And do you have any version of your tune? It doesn't have to be the unmodified version?

Have you tried to read the ecm as it sits?

But the odds are this is unrelated to an ECM. It will likely be a wiring issue, and most likely a ground problem.

Potential Tuner
    Just read it. The "stock" tune from the repository is over double the size of the tune that was saved from my vehicle. Looks pretty empty as well....

Potential Tuner
    Only thing here looks to be transmission controls. I sure screwed up something last time. It does not detect a vin either.... This should be fun to straighten out.

Senior Tuner
    Still might be a power issue. The ECM might not even be awake or powered up. Forget the tune and start by trouble shooting this as a no crank. Unless you know of something that happened, just setting won’t ruin an ECM.

Much more likely that something chewed on the wires while sitting or you forgot something you did to the wires two years ago.

Potential Tuner
    Okay.