Thread: P59 Tuner Locked

Advanced Tuner

P59 Tuner Locked

I can't believe in this day and age some shops still 'tuner lock' ECMs.

Some high horsepower race thing, sure, that's your secrets and a compleltley different level of tuning..

A gen 3 sierra with a cam only. There is no reason for that at all.

Didn't even tell the customer before they did it. To me, this is sort of 'stealing' by not allowing the owner to go forth with another shop to make different adjustments, like gear ratio or tire size changes.

Please don't tuner lock, it looks bad on the shop.

Advanced Tuner
    You do know that you can still unlock a P59, right?
    2009.5 PBM G8 GXP M6 W/Roof-Self tune, OBX LTs, Kooks axleback, LSA blower, cam,
    Monster LT1-SC clutch, flex fuel, 12 psi [email protected] 1,800 D.A
    2007 TBSS-Self tune, bolt ons [email protected], 1,900 D.A
    1991 GMC Syclone- Self tune/catback 12.8@104, 4,200ft D.A

Senior Tuner
    You can unbrick a P59 pretty easy but to actually unlock one that the key has been changed in is a little trickier.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by STAGEUP View Post
    You do know that you can still unlock a P59, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    unlock one that the key has been changed in is a little trickier.
    Please share some info on this? I have heard about unlocking one, but, always good to learn how for future usage.

Senior Tuner
    We have a unlocking service. Last I checked it was $75

I've never seen a locked tune that wasn't a complete shit show.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by bk2life View Post
    Please share some info on this? I have heard about unlocking one, but, always good to learn how for future usage.
    Locking involves changing the key part of the seed/key. I doubt you have the tools to do it. It requires more than just having HP Tuners. The ability to read the PCM and save it as a true bin file. Then a hex editor and the knowledge to find the seed key in the bin, calculate what the key should be, change it, then correct the checksum. Most shops that have an unlocking service set it up on a bench with a program running that will cycle through all 65K+ keys then when it finds it it writes it to the PCM. Those programs seem to be protected like KFCs secret recipe and are very hard to acquire. It could take several days of that program running to find the correct key.
    Last edited by 2xLS1; 1 Week Ago at 06:04 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    I've never seen a locked tune that wasn't a complete shit show.
    that's my issue all along. It wasn't even a tune. yes it was modified, but, it was my tune, the owner had an issue, i couldn't resolve it at the time because i was doing some mil training in another state.
    Now were doing work to the vehicle, and find out its locked.
    I just think it's childish to lock an ECM.

I'd be interested to know more about the unlocking process, do you have a phone number or message me on the side. How long, what do i need to do, etc..

Senior Tuner
    Those P59 PCMs can be had around here at salvage yards for $20. If you already had a tune file for that PCM just pick up a used one and write entire the unlocked file you have to the used one. It will require re licensing it but by the time you pay shipping both ways and the unlocking fee it's almost a wash. Any blue/green PCM will work. It doesn't even have to be the same service number unless it is something weird like a swap using a drive by cable with a P59. Not all unlocking services preserve the file in the PCM also. Some do and some don't.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    Those P59 PCMs can be had around here at salvage yards for $20..
    correct, i have probably a dozen here at the shop.

Its more of the principal now to me.

To me, this is sort of 'stealing' by not allowing the owner to go forth with another shop to make different adjustments, like gear ratio or tire size changes.
    perhaps changing gear ratio or tire size will have a bad effect on tuning
    ...you haven't thought about it?
    file blocking is a normal practice that protects shop from copying their tuning solutions

but in your case this P59 is a very old ecu perhaps shop went too far with locking
    Publish your file and i will unlock it for you

GM FORD DODGE
    custom xdf for hpt

Advanced Tuner
    I can get rid of a tunerlock in minutes with the regular old ground the pin method and hpt. Probably not going to share my method since ive not seen anyone else do exactly the same thing, its obvious when you come across it. Does not loose or overwrite the tune.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 04silverado6.0 View Post
    I can get rid of a tunerlock in minutes with the regular old ground the pin method and hpt. Probably not going to share my method since ive not seen anyone else do exactly the same thing, its obvious when you come across it. Does not loose or overwrite the tune.
    And you are saying then that that file is writeable or just viewable.

Senior Tuner
    that's my issue all along. It wasn't even a tune. yes it was modified, but, it was my tune, the owner had an issue, i couldn't resolve it at the time because i was doing some mil training in another state.
    Now were doing work to the vehicle, and find out its locked.
    I just think it's childish to lock an ECM.

I'd be interested to know more about the unlocking process, do you have a phone number or message me on the side. How long, what do i need to do, etc..

https://www.pcmofnc.com/product/pcm-...ing-service-3/
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Advanced Tuner
    File is readable and writeable.

Advanced Tuner
    reynoldscreekperformance.com
    Anybody need a p01 or p59 unlocked mail them in. $50 bucks and will ship back within 1-2 usps business days.

Advanced Tuner
    Ive also unlocked a ecm from a 02 duramax lb7 the same way but took about 2 days to get it to hold the flash.