Thread: P-000B and P-0014 after Hemi rebuild, seeking advice?

Potential Tuner

P-000B and P-0014 after Hemi rebuild, seeking advice?

Hi everyone. New here, seeking some advice?I hear you?re all the best.

**The backstory**: I recently picked up a 2010 Ram 5.7 from my employer. It has/had the MDS system. It came into the shop with engine failure and the shop purchaed it from the client. This is the second time this engine failed in the same manner. It was repaired about 10,000 miles ago for the same issue. The intake pistons kissed the valves. Back then, 10,000 miles ago, the shop replaced the timing set, oil pump, head gaskets and had valve work done on the heads. There was nothing addressed with any lifters, MDS solenoids, or VVT actuator or VVT solenoid at that time.

**My story**: I already love the truck. Upon disassembly, I observed the cylinder 3 lifter roller was frozen up, not moving, and the lobe on the camshaft was wiped out for that same lifter. I observed a bent pushrod as well as observed the camshaft pin had sheared from the VVT actuator, so while engine timing appeared correct by the chain marks, I have no idea where the camshaft was actually at. There was no slack in the timing chain as it was just replaced 10,000 miles ago.

**I do not know HOW this engine failed, what goes bad first? Lifter? VVT sprocket?**

Not knowing, I deciced to do away with the MDS (which was still in place at the 10,000 mile ago repair), so I purchased a complete MDS delete kit from an online retailer which appeared to be pretty reputable and I had no issue. I received all the necessary parts to do the job (MDS delete camshaft using stock specs, all new non-mds lifters, head gaskets etc.) and it included a handheld tuner of a different brand than HP which basically has ?canned? tunes with minor flexibility.

I also decided to "limit" the amount of travel of the VVT actuator with a Comp Cams limiter thinking that if I did that, it would prevent any future piston to valve issues.
    Am I correct in that thinking?

What I'm dealing with now is a P-000B and P-0014 codes. I?m pretty certain that I know why they're coming on...it's because the VVT actuator can't reach is commanded value due to the limiter.
    My mistake was thinking the tuner that was coming with the kit would be able to adjust VVT/spark...it cannot; which I suppose leaves me with a few choices...

1. Remove the limiter (MDS delete cam, stock specs, will this limiter really help prevent engine damage?) and retain handheld tuner.

2. Get a custom tune and try to sell the "divorced" tuner as it wouldn't be of any use to me

3. Unmarry the tuner, try to sell it and get an HP Tuner which I understand can work with spark/VVT even though I have no idea how to tune to the 7? cam/14? crank limitation.

Thank you for any and all advice!
    Last edited by N8033Fox; 1 Week Ago at 09:30 AM.