Thread: 2-3 upshift stumble

Tuner in Training

2-3 upshift stumble

posting in the engine forum because the trans tune is stock

i recently changed the [ECM] 44681 Spark Minimum Torque Reduction table and set much of the table to 7 deg, previously it had values from -39 to 7. after this change i often get a stumble during the 2-3 upshift. i attached a log file (and tune), at the 8:11:52 mark you can see an example.

maybe my change to the table was too much, and i need to put back some of the spark reduction?
    is there a method to address this another way?

vehicle is a stock durango rt 5.7 8HP70, only mod is SOS coils and the larger plug gap
    Attached Files Attached Files

I'd suspect the stumble is related to an ignition misfire as indicated by a massive lean spike shown on the log as the large shift in Short term fuel trims of about 20%. STFT jump from slightly too rich about -5% all the way to +16%, but only for a brief instant.

Log Misfire counts to verify.

Knowing that you touched the plugs and coils is verification that it is probably a misfire.

Advanced Tuner
    dave ^^^ is a smart guy

that very well might be why it stumbles at that shift

but why 2-3?

why only 2-3?

i have a theory that there is a glitch in the system

it does not present itself in all cars but i have seen this a few times and that is where it manifests: 2-3 shift

i do not understand how it can be in some cars and not others?

i have had to tune it out in the transmission tune on a few cars
    [email protected]

don tanklage

Tuner in Training
    i reset adaptives incl fuel trims after i made the change so maybe that lean spike is temporary as the trims systems does its thing over a few drive cycles?

i've been tinkering with this car and its tune for a couple years and i've always had this issue at 2-3 after changing this particular 44681 Spark Minimum Torque Reduction table. only now i decided to message the forum. sort of nice to see someone else witness a similar thing.

out of curiosity i updated that same table changing the 7 deg cells to 0 (and reset adaptives again) and so far i am not experiencing that 2-3 shift stumble. and i did log for misfires and there were some, mainly at startup. no engine light on dash so i guess not enough misfires to worry? anywhere from 1 to 6 misfires. logs attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files