Thread: Changing Cylinder Volume to match larger engine

Potential Tuner

Changing Cylinder Volume to match larger engine

I am pulling my 6.0 out of my 01 Silverado and replacing it with a mild built 416 cu.in. motor. I have read that I will need to update the cylinder volume in my tune to match the new engine. What parameters, if any does that change? What happens if I leave it on the factory 6.0 setting? My truck was originally a 5.3, but was swapped out for the 6.0. The tune still shows it having a 5.3 cylinder volume. So that?s why I was wondering do I really need to change it. Can?t seamto find the answer.

Technically all airflow/fueling calculations take that number into account.

So if you left it as a 6.0 but went to a 416 cubic inch motor, you'd be skewing all your numbers to make it right. Changing it makes sure you are using realistic values in the airflow/fueling tables for that size engine.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Senior Tuner
    If you don't set the displacement correctly it'll affect cylinder airmass for the spark map as well as the torque calcs.

Displacement is found at Engine>General>Cylinder Volume

Potential Tuner
    Ok, thanks for the replies. It makes sense. I was just wondering when I change the volume if any of the tables automatically change to different values, or do they still stay the same.

Senior Tuner
    If you compare before and after the VE table will be different.

Potential Tuner
    I tried it and you are absolutely right! The VE table did change. I was wondering if I did the same thing to my gen 4 truck would it also change the numbers in the VVE table?

Senior Tuner
    It's best practice to set it correctly. The VE table is in reality the same type of unit/number that a gen 4 is but Hptuners uses the displacement value to put that into 0-100%.

05-06 GTO's and about the same year range CTS-V's came from the factory with the displacement setup WRONG as if they were 5.7's but in reality were 6.0's.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Senior Tuner
    While changing the cyl vol on Gen 3s changes the numbers in the VE table it doesn't change the actual airflow. Credit goes to NicD on LS1tech for laying it out the best I've ever seen. See Post #11 in this thread here. https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagn...ent-value.html

Potential Tuner
    I watched the videos and read all the comments, and you are correct. NicD did a fantastic job explaining it all. He definitely opened my eyes to the VE world. I only wish I could get the math to work to populate calculated VE for my gen 3 scanner table. It would make tuning he ve table a lot simpler. If anyone has the math for a gen 3, PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE send it to me.