Thread: gen 3 torque management

Tuner

gen 3 torque management

I have a 2005 ctsv with an 8l90 swap and I'm curious if there is a way to get the pcm to pull timing on shifts? At the moment I'm running the stock os and a manual trans segment on the p59. I am able to get torque management to work on launch with throttle cut and spark pull, but i see no timing pull being done on the shifts even with trans abuse and all the TM parameters set to what a truck or auto car would have.

I know there are other factors behind torque management and without the trans being present its not going to be happy. but if i change to another os or change the trans segment to non electric auto is there a way to get it to work?
    i can upload the tune and log after i get off work.

The pcm does see the correct speed as well and its functioning happy without any codes or anything.

Breaking my own rule here by offering help with a thread where the person didn't bother to include their tune/log files, and to not know that after 84 posts it shows you're a real slow learner, but here goes...

No. Not with that combo, manual trans P59 and non-Gen3 auto trans. The PCM has no way to know what gear it's in or when it's about to shift. Your trans might as well be a TH350 as far as the PCM sees it.

Tuner
    here you go buddy! I appreciate the positive words although i know my intellect suffers due to blood flow redirection to my huge b****.

While i know you are most likely correct, before i completed the swap i did see timing reduction occurring on shifts with the t56. I no longer have this log so it could have been contributed to something else. So i thought i would ask if anyone knew of other torque management strategies that might exist on the OS..

Thanks for the help!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Breaking my own rule here by offering help with a thread where the person didn't bother to include their tune/log files, and to not know that after 84 posts it shows you're a real slow learner, but here goes...

No. Not with that combo, manual trans P59 and non-Gen3 auto trans. The PCM has no way to know what gear it's in or when it's about to shift. Your trans might as well be a TH350 as far as the PCM sees it.

So you just replied to insult someone's intelligence and weren't actually interested in the log and tune or being helpful in the first place right?

You seem like a real good dude...

Anyhow.. it makes more and more sense why people don't want to share information on things they discover now days.

Senior Tuner
    It's possible that timing changed between shifts before but its almost certainly not TM. No GEN 3 I'm aware of has torque management between manual gear shifts.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    It's possible that timing changed between shifts before but its almost certainly not TM. No GEN 3 I'm aware of has torque management between manual gear shifts.
    That's kinda what i figured was happening. I know the timing it pulled to doesn't match the main spark tables, without the log I couldn't say for sure what it was doing on that end. At my power levels it'll be a non issue but for longevity and higher power i will definitely need a solution like moving to gen 4 or 5. This thing will spin tires shifting all the way through 5th gear sometimes, but if i lower torque input to stop that i am sure the transmission will suffer.

Senior Tuner
    Was probably burst knock if you didn't have that disabled.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    Was probably burst knock if you didn't have that disabled.
    That makes alot more sense as it was on the stock tune when i had seen it. It wasn't a huge pull if i remember correctly so that would be right in line.
    Ill be moving to an lt setup eventually but really wish there was an e38/t87 solution. It seems like they could work from others testing, but i haven't seen much on it in a while.