Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wants to pull in gear

Tuner in Training
    BK, yeah, thats basically where I'm at, I just over utilized my cut&paste skills a smidge. She starts and idles like a boss now, it's when I pull it into gear when the sadness begins ;-) but yeah no big deal at this point. This is a fresh engine build and it was the startup I stressed a bit over but it started fine and has enough run time for enough break in according to me.

Sirius,
    Deatschwerks 440cc LS1 style injectors.
    https://deatschwerks.com/products/18u-01-0042-8

It's a nice day, I'll go get a meaningful log and post it up with my updated tune.

Tuner in Training
    Went for a 15min drive, Tune and Log included. I touched up the VE based on the log but haven't changed anything else.

It still stumbles/surges when the throttle transitions from idle, once I'm in it a bit it runs pretty smooth.

The cruise control feel is weak, it gains RPM downhill but will lose RPM eventually and slowly on the flats... so better but needs to be fixed for sure.

Any areas I should focus on would be great, I'm using stock Throttle Cracker values and can see it adding air off throttle at RPM. Also still wonder if I should re-check my braf but when I pull 3% it surges and stumbles more and if I add more it feels like the cruise control effect picks up more strength on the flats.

What to the Moving/Rolling Table do? It does not seem to help if I set it at like 800RPM and the stock value was 0?

Note, I'm working on seperating the IAT from the MAF and relocating it. This is in a '64 Nova and it stays pretty warm under the hood and is heat soaking the IAT pretty quickly.

NOVA Cammed LS2.MAFBASELINE.hpt

first drive8.hpl

Senior Tuner
    You didn't put in the right values for Short Pulse Adder.

Tuner in Training
    Hey Sirius,

I get why you think that and I checked this a bunch already, they are the right values just off by a little.

Looks like they get changed to the next valid value when you enter the data, same thing happens with the voltage table, all the entered values are a tiny bit off.

TESTING:

- When you cut/paste it from the excel spreadsheet to the tune it changes the value slightly. (example .7659 goes to .7599)
    - If you type the number into the cell it does the same thing AND it lands on the same changed value as above
    - If I type the number in and change it just a little it still lands on the same value. (.7657 goes to .7599)

Looks like the rounding routine from Office Space...

Senior Tuner
    Yeah you're right. I copied the entire row like an idiot.

Tuner in Training
    I?ve been screwed by invalid injector data in the past so it actually looks like I may have learned my lesson.

I probably would have been happier if you were right and the fix was that easy.

Senior Tuner
    Ok if you excuse my dumbass moment I can still offer a few suggestions.

Go back into SD and tune the VE table. Use the narrowband fuel trims to do this. Set PE enable to 85kPa.

Lower idle to 750rpm. Make necessary changes to hold it. There's quite a bit there to do.

Experiment with decreasing throttle cracker.
    Last edited by SiriusC1024; 1 Day Ago at 06:27 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the suggestions.

I pulled 50% out of Cracker under 2800rpm, that helped the cruise but didn?t solve it. My AFR leaned out a bit when I did this as well.

Since that worked I zeroed out cracker under 2800rpm and that solved the cruise control but left it stumbling on the way down off throttle but good test to understand what happens. The AFR continued to lean out so it drove like crap but I learned something.

I?ll set the cracker values back to stock and do some work to remove air and keep it smooth. I?ll also give it a little more VE and see how it goes.

Senior Tuner
    That's good. You'll have even better results if VE is tuned with the narrowbands. Try to get idle rpm below 800.
    Last edited by SiriusC1024; 1 Day Ago at 06:08 AM.