Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LSA/6L80E U0101 TCM lost communication -Holden Colorado swap

Tuner in Training

Lightbulb LSA/6L80E U0101 TCM lost communication -Holden Colorado swap

Hi forum,

I have recently transplanted a LSA and 6L80 combination from a 2012 holden colorado (Chevrolets Thai built colorado in the US), into a 2019 Holden colorado.
    The combination was perfect before the transplant, and I have not made any calibration changes in the meantime.
    The OS is from a 2013 Camaro - 12653669
    The TCM OS is - 24264923
    As mentioned, these were matched and cooperating before the engine and gearbox were moved to the later model colorado.

Now I am faced with the code U0101 Lost communication with TCM.
    I have verified wiring from the TCM.
    The ECM is communicating with the colorado via canbus fine. Dash etc all working.
    I can read the calibration from TCM, ECM both fine which means the TCM is powered up and communicating on the canbus.

I have tried various combinations of disconnecting the battery, pulling TCM fuse with no luck.
    I have tried a write entire of the same ECM and TCM files that were already loaded.

As some extra info, the only other code current is P0315 crankshaft position not learned (Never seen this code before so wondering if its related)

Anyone got ideas, I'm stumped!

Tuner in Training
    colorado 95ron v5.hpt

Tune file attached

As a wild guess, did you happen to connect the ECM/TCM to the regular CAN system for the rest of the vehicle? Cluster, ABS, SIR, etc.?

Tuner in Training
    Hi mate, yes the can bus is linked to every module and the ecm and tcm

I would connect the CAN lines specifically to the TCM/ECM only. Remove all others on the network and recheck. Might be a communication protocal that is VERY likely different between those years that is causing this issue. One way you can be sure is if you scan the Body Control Module for codes. It is responsible for high speed, low speed, LINbus, and serial data on the entire system as it is also the PMM (Power Mode Master). If all is now good with a disconnected system then you are out of luck. You would have to upgrade to all of your 2019 software and hardware.

Tuner in Training
    I will try that and report back, thanks!

Advanced Tuner
    sounds like its dropping power to the trans or missing when its running? if you can pull the tune from the tcm then it's clearly on the can network. typically to talk to the ecm your going via the can wiring loop in the trans plug.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Tre-Cool View Post
    sounds like its dropping power to the trans or missing when its running? if you can pull the tune from the tcm then it's clearly on the can network. typically to talk to the ecm your going via the can wiring loop in the trans plug.
    Thanks for the input mate, Ive checked at the trans plug, with Key on engine off, i have batt +, Ign +, ground at the correct pins.
    Havent managed to try without other modules on the network yet. Is this a plausible test or ?

I'd check for U codes in every module, if there are two modules the rest of the system can't talk to it's possible it's something like a devID conflict since there's such a spread between the year models. Unfortunately that's not something you can go in and reassign, unless you are a wizard and can do wizard shit like writing your own firmwares.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    I'd check for U codes in every module, if there are two modules the rest of the system can't talk to it's possible it's something like a devID conflict since there's such a spread between the year models. Unfortunately that's not something you can go in and reassign, unless you are a wizard and can do wizard shit like writing your own firmwares.
    Thanks mate, what is leading me to believe it's something simple, is that there are cars getting around with this conversion already, and I'm 'pretty' sure they are using the same OS's.

The ECM is talking fine with the rest of the modules, all engine data coming through to the dash. The comms issue seems to be between the TCM and ECM.

I can see BCM codes and nothing there, only U code is from ECM. (hp tuners scanner is all I have)

When did this start? Because there is a ton of stuff in the change log going back quite a long while.

Tuner in Training
    When did this start? Because there is a ton of stuff in the change log going back quite a long while.
    It started after I moved the engine and trans into the newer model colorado. No programming changes were made in the meantime, and this issue wasn't here before

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    I would connect the CAN lines specifically to the TCM/ECM only. Remove all others on the network and recheck. Might be a communication protocal that is VERY likely different between those years that is causing this issue. One way you can be sure is if you scan the Body Control Module for codes. It is responsible for high speed, low speed, LINbus, and serial data on the entire system as it is also the PMM (Power Mode Master). If all is now good with a disconnected system then you are out of luck. You would have to upgrade to all of your 2019 software and hardware.
    It seems you were on the right track,
    I installed the old BCM, and apart from a million other things not working, the TCM comms issue was cleared...
    Not sure whether this means the TCM OS needs changing, or something needs to be done with the BCM - I'm completely unfamiliar with what can be done to a BCM...

The 2013 ECM/TCM are expecting the other modules to be at different addresses than where they are in a 2019.

Tuner in Training
    The 2013 ECM/TCM are expecting the other modules to be at different addresses than where they are in a 2019.
    I won't pretend I know much about what you're talking about there, but that kinda seems logical. The ECM seems completely happy, all info coming through to the dash, a/c climate control all working properly.
    Do you think it's a fixable problem with the TCM?

A wizard, somebody who had the tools and know-how to do things like decode the datastream and dump the code out of and modify firmware in non-ECM/TCM modules, sure, one of those guys could probably, maybe, have a chance of making it work.

Advanced Tuner
    seems odd that the bcm stops the trans from communicating to the ecm. typically the ecm address would 7E0, tcm = 7E2. bcm would be another address.

you could try doing a full write of a different os into the trans from say a 2011-17 commodore to see if that makes any difference.

Who did your harness/ engine mounts for you? I've got a front end pranged 2019 in the back yard for spares, my daily is a 2017.

I am not a wizard, but I am pretty sure there is more to it than just the addressing - there are all kinds of protocol things going on, prefixes that a module has to send before the others will recognize the data, etc. There's just something they changed about the comms between the 2013 powertrain and the 2012 it worked in previously, and the 2019 where it doesn't work.

Advanced Tuner
    they also made a change in late 2008/09 too. i can flash an 06-09 trans with different tunes to get them to align with the ecu os, it's on my list to dive into the code options to find what actually makes them work. I have a lot more options defined for trans then is available in software on the market.

just need time to go through and test them all across all the multiple os/cals.

Tuner in Training
    I am not a wizard, but I am pretty sure there is more to it than just the addressing - there are all kinds of protocol things going on, prefixes that a module has to send before the others will recognize the data, etc. There's just something they changed about the comms between the 2013 powertrain and the 2012 it worked in previously, and the 2019 where it doesn't work.
    Thanks mate, I was hoping it was just simple issue, seeing as there are a few of these late model colorados getting around with the same engine and gearbox combo. I have yet to acquire the tune file from one though, would be nice to check the OS numbers from a working one.