Thread: Question about basemap, MAF tables? Lean WOT.. $$$

Tuner in Training

Cool Question about basemap, MAF tables? Lean WOT.. $$$

I didn't seem to get anywhere in the other post. While my particular setup is a pain in the butt... I have to figure it out. There aren't any reputable tuners in my area in Bangor, Maine.

I have an LM4 "Gen 3" on a E40 "gen 4" PCM. The E40 is from an auto and has some segments from a manual so my speedo works and that seems to scare people away. My speedometer works perfect and that's not my problem...

I run lean under WOT 14.0-14.7. I put in the correct injector data and still no change. I upped my Power Enrichment by 5% and still no change. I even purchased a new Delphi AF10043 MAF because mine looked a bit rough.
    I have a new Delphi PS10000 MAP Sensor. I upgraded my Intake the other day to a NNBS intake with New Gaskets (it ran just as lean before the intake swap), Cleaned all the injectors and used a tool to pulse them under fuel pressure with cleaner and the spray patterns look good.
    I installed a Holley EFI Fuel Rails and have a AEM Fuel pressure gauge with sender that shows 58-60PSI under WOT. These were things I was planning to do anyway to freshen it up, but just trying to paint you a picture.
    I have 2 AEM Widebands, One on each bank and they both show lean under WOT so it's not the widebands and my welding of the bungs are flawless with no leaks.

The vehicle has 25lb injectors (Multec 2), Uses a (78mm) 3 Bolt Throttle Body, Has a Trailblazer Pedal, Gen 4 Knock Sensors. This is a Returnless Fuel System with no vacuum reference.

I have a general basic understanding of how to use HPTuners, But as far as what certain values should be I have no idea. I can compare my Tune with Factory Tunes from the repository but it's hard because I use a Gen 3 engine and there isn't much to compare it to.
    I might be able to compare it to an LH6 from a 06 5.3 trailblazer for air seeing how most of the sensors are the same and Fuel from a 04 Silverado LM7, but I still ended up here. I know my MAF tables are a bit higher than normal but my thought was that it would make it richer not leaner. But again I'm not sure

I have 4 log files and the Tune File...

Who ever is the first correct response that helps me fix my tune and it works I will Paypal you or Cashapp you for your time...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Just so you know you have the PE enable at 87% throttle and on the last 2 logs I looked at, you never once even hit 87% throttle. That is why it's still showing lean on the wideband.

How about you put in a better number like 60% throttle and go take it for a spin.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    I think you hit the nail on the head. PM me your Paypal or Cashapp. I appreciate the response. I overlooked that entirely but I'm pretty sure your correct. From your opinion does the Fueling look decent?
    Last edited by ninjaguy; 1 Week Ago at 09:44 PM.

The combo itself didn't scare anybody away; lack of info about how it's set up did. Fuel pressure is...? I still don't know that one. Lots of confusion around how you're describing the fuel system/regulator(s). A 'fuel pump set up for returnless' just means there's a pop-off valve inside the tank on the pump outlet, and anything over 58psi gets vented before it exits the tank. If you have a 2004-type fuel rail with a referenced, return style regulator, and a vacuum hose going to said regulator, then as long as your rail-mounted regulator never asks for more than 58psi (which it really can't, with a N/A engine) the one in the tank never vents anything. The lower of the two set points is what the system will run at. And the presence or absence of the vacuum hose to the regulator determines what kind of injector data you need.

The .hpt file you attached here has different injector data than the one I gave you in the last thread. How'd that happen?

If your actual pressure is less than 58, or the tables are set up for the wrong regulator type, or whatever else would cause the injectors to flow less than what's in the file, this graph will be full of lots and lots of red, and oh look...

screenshot.15-04-2024 22.05.00.png

THIS IS A TEST, ONLY A TEST...

I think they gave you a base file with totally jacked-up Open Loop and Open Loop Gains tables. These trucks with this OS originally had a 10.00 x 0.1 = 1.00 setup; yours had been changed to the more traditional, non-E40 5.3L type of 1.0 x 1.0 = 1.0. Which does not work on these. Ask me how I know this. (the only Trailblazer files I have seen with the 1x1 style is in 6.0L's, never in the 5.3s. there are other tables you can't see that aren't in the editor that need those tables to be the correct format.)

This file has those OL tables corrected, and some PE changes, and all the injector data from the file in the last thread. Do not try to copy the changes on your own, just flash it. It's your file. You can look at 'View Change/History Logs' (ctrl+L) to see exactly what was changed.

Canyon Correct INJ DATA(FINAL) - test only.hpt

edit: this is for NO VACUUM LINE to the rail-mounted regulator ('returnless', even though there is a return line coming off the rail)
    Last edited by blindsquirrel; 1 Week Ago at 10:24 PM.

Tuner in Training
    I installed a NNBS intake manifold, Holley Fuel Rail and it runs at 58-60 PSI with no return. I wrote the injector data into the tune. IDK where I effed up.

Tuner in Training
    Hey Thanks Blindsquirrel!!!

Tuner in Training
    Blindsquirrel, That was the fastest the truck has ever been. I'm going to have to get wider rear tires... I gave it hell up until the speed limit and going into 2nd the rear tires broke loose which hasn't happened in this truck ever. First time I seen by injector duty cycle hit 81% lol...
    Your a Legend... PM me your Paypal or Cashapp info and I'll compensate you for you time. Paypal is easier...

I posted 2 logs of the changes your edited file did... That was amazing.

It's still having to add around 20% almost everywhere, now it needs to be tuned. Be real careful with hammering on it until then, since that 20% being added by the trims goes away once it goes into OL-Accel.

Tuner in Training
    May I please have the scanner setup you use for E40 PCM's? Like the Graph setup and etc.

default.Graphs.xml

That's a bunch of random stuff in there too, delete the ones not relevant. There's one for VE with no filters, then two others with different filter strings for different stuff.

I have some in there for MAF but only for reference when looking at others' files, not on my own. I don't run a MAF.

And another disclaimer, I am not a tuner. I'm just a dude with a '06 E40 5.3 who posts way too much on here.

Tuner in Training
    I tried to pick the graphs and I think it wont let me without the layout... weird..

Opening the .xml will append all the graphs to the bottom of whatever you have there now, you may just not be seeing them. It won't replace the ones you already have there.

Tuner in Training
    I'm going to tune the vehicle myself. I know it seems scary from your perspective that a guy that's clueless on a forum would attempt it. Evans Performance Academy has a $50/mo Subscription based Program I been using with videos showing you how to do everything. He explains how to do everything in detail. Each program runs through each system in Hptuners. Tomorrow I'm Tuning my MAF. Then well see what's next on the agenda on the course list. Prob the VE table... I was at a disadvantage because I have this PCM that should of never seen this setup. I'd of rather had a Gen 3 PCM with No ABS/BCM/SRS with a Autometer Cluster. I appreciate everyone's help.

One question do some people just use the MAF and disable the VE table and run their cars like that? I know some people use Speed Density without a MAF, But what about Just MAF at a 100rpm enable?

Advanced Tuner
    Yes, many people do MAF only, but in order to have the best drivability, the VE needs dialed in as well.

Actually, to have the best driveability, toss the MAF altogether and run it full time in speed density. Mine did nothing but cost power and mileage.

Tuner in Training
    I mentioned before I have been taking courses for HPTuners. I Tuned my MAF sensor today and followed the course to a T...To be honest I think I fixed my tune for the most part. I am going to dial in my VE Table next but I didn't realize how off my MAF tune was... I think the LTFT+STFT look pretty good now. Not perfect but way better. It fixed a bunch of little quirky drivability issues.

You'll see more of an improvement from doing the VE. (and if your '06 E40 runs like my '06 E40 with the MAF failed, you will take it off and stuff it away at the back of a dusty shelf somewhere)