Thread: One of Everything

Tuner in Training Cal Naughton Jr's Avatar

One of Everything

New to the diesel world, just trying to help a buddy. Another day at the zoo.

2005 F350 6.0 Powerstroke:
    New KC stage 1 turbo 10 blade
    New OEM injectors
    HPOP "replaced right before I bought it"
    Sinister Diesel FICM, increased voltage/stock map
    ARP head studs
    Full exhaust
    Physical EGR delete, not yet in the tune
    Hot air intake

He thought it was running a stock tune, but it turns out he had an SCT tuner that STB and a random tune must've stuck. It's hotter than stock but leaves a lot on the table. Definitely a few things going on. The MAP is dropping out at higher readings even though the transfer function has been adjusted. However, my main concern is the low ICP and HPOP pressure at any mild load. It looks like the injectors are hating life as they try to compensate.

This was a spur of the moment log so many PIDs were missed. I'll be adding the following for the next log, let me know if there's anything I missed.

Fuel Pressure
    MAP sensor voltage
    Correct MAF sensor
    Internal boost gauge
    Delivered fuel
    o2 sensor/ AFR
    AFR commanded
    Exhaust temp
    EGR
    Accurate trans current gear
    Cylinder airmass
    Injector flow rate
    LTFT/STFT

Josh_Stock.hpl
    Josh_Powerstroke.hpt
    Josh.JPG
    Last edited by Cal Naughton Jr; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:15 AM.

Haven?t looked at the tune but judging by the log picture I bet it?s icp spoofedz

Which means it ?tricks? the ecm into thinking it?s less pressure but in reality it?s running a higher pressure.

What that does is it will allow the FICM to deliver those higher PW so you gain more power. It?s an SCT thing since SCT doesn?t have access to the ficm.

As for the MAP dropping out, mine does the same thing. Mine is an 03 but I haven?t seen any adverse affects from it. There have been people that have upgraded to a higher reading sensor and scaled it.

Tuner in Training Cal Naughton Jr's Avatar
    Appreciate the info, your guide has been a huge help.

I've read about SCT's spoofing strategies, but the low ICR voltage had me double checking. I also found a stock and "SCT 65HP TOW" tune floating around the forums, none of which line up with the IPR transfer functions in this tune.

I'll try the tables from the stock tune to see if it clears up. Assuming all is well, do you still stick to 130mg of fuel on stock injectors or would it be worth matching SCT's 150mg?
    Last edited by Cal Naughton Jr; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:20 AM.

Screenshot (113).png

Right here is where the spoofing happens.

What i would do is get rid of the spoofing and tune your FICM. you can really open it up with FICM tuning.

For a basic FICM tune take the bottom right 3 values and put them to 2.0ms or 2.5ms obviously the more PW the the longer the injector stay open which in return you will get more fuel BUT you need to increase your ICP so it can atomize the fuel.

A good FICM tune is using a 2003 FICM file to base your FICM tune on. It is (i have heard) similar to an Atlas 40 tune. I have a 2003 so i cant do that but i have had success with making more power in the 05-07 trucks by doing this.

Screenshot (114).png

In my opinion this is JUNK.. i hate the CANNED SCT tunes.. we can fix this though

Screenshot (115).png

Lower these values if you want your fan to come on sooner. When i ran a mechanical fan i had these set to come on at 210 but I tow my camper alot with my excursion so i wanted it to stay cool. Now i run 4 Electric fans and it has done WAY better than the Mechanical fan.
    2003 Ford excursion 6.0 PSD
    No limit intake
    Straight pipe
    Studded
    EGR delete
    KC billet single plane compressor wheel
    Self Tuned
    XDP Regulated return
    RDP Fuel sump
    AEM progressive water meth
    Custom suspension air bags
    8" lift