Thread: Current Performance Tune for LM4 in 1rst Gen Canyon. E40. Does this look normal?

Tuner in Training

Current Performance Tune for LM4 in 1rst Gen Canyon. E40. Does this look normal?

Hello, hope you guys are having a great day/night. I'm trying to paint a picture so if I give more information than needed that's what I'm going for.
    I posted this is Gen 4 due to the ECU...

I'm fairly new to Hptuners and I'm paying monthly to take courses on tuning. I purchased a 06 Canyon 2WD LS swap truck with the swap already done and I'm picking through the gremlins. This is a Gen 3 LM4 "862 heads" mated to a Manual AR5 Transmission ran by Current performance's wiring harness ran by an E40 PCM . The ECU was tuned by Current Performance "Mailed with Harness". The base map seems like it's from an 06 Trailblazer/GTO.
    It's got "Multec 2" 25lb injectors, Delphi 25168491 MAF, 3 Bolt DBW 78mm TB. I am a very good automotive Technician but very green at tuning. So bear with me.

I installed dual widebands and at WOT I'm at 14.7. So I crack open HP Tuners for the first time and it was a bit overwhelming. So I purchased a monthly subscription courses. I'm 9 courses in on about a 40.

From what I got so far the fuel rail is setup as a Return style, But the fuel pump is set up returnless. lol... They have a line going back to the tank lol.
    I have a NNBS intake and Holley fuel rail setup to be returnless and I'll install it when it's warm out.

It seems current performance has tweaked about ever setting there is. The Power Enrichment table seems odd on their tune. The Activation RPM's are set very low and the rate is set to 1. A bit instant?
    It also looks like my short pulse limit is a bit off for a Multec 2 injector.
    Does it look like they just threw the kitchen sink at this?
    It doesn't idle bad but I am defiantly missing some power under WOT.
    When the weather gets better and I take it out of storage I'm going to datalog for some hours to get some info...

The only thing I touched on this Tune was calibrating my Tire/Wheel size to correct my Speedometer.

I appreciate you guys and any insight is greatly appreciated.
    Canyon Corrected Speedo.hpt
    Last edited by ninjaguy; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:49 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Does the speedo actually work on this?

The returnless / return thing doesn't matter. What matters is if the fuel pressure is fixed or if it is vacuum referenced.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuner in Training
    The e40 pcm lets the cluster still function. The problem im having is wot hits 14.7 on the wideband. I increased power enrichment 5% after 3k and smoothed the transition and only got 14.3. Injector duty cycle isn't near 80%. I may of figured it out. The 06 canyon had a returnless fuel pump where the regulator is internal. Plus the lm4 has a return style fuel rail making me have 2 regulators. The fuel rail is a bit rusty and i think its bleeding off back through the return killing my fuep pressure. Im swapping the rail for a holley where ill be able to monitor the fuel pressure in the cab with an aem gauge. Will report back after installed.

Injector data needs to change depending on which type (referenced/returnless) fuel system it has, and the base pressure if it's anything other than 58psi.

Is there a little vacuum hose going to the rail-mounted regulator? Is there a feed line and a return line coming off the rails?

Tuner in Training
    The injector data is very wrong and honestly I'm kind of pissed that they would let this big of an error out the door. I'm missing allot of power.... The injectors i have are Gen 3 Multec 2 (25lb & 58psi) (GM#25317628). I figure I can just use the injector data from the 04 Rainer 5.3 and skew the last parts of the voltages it will never see. If you have a XML of that injector data I'll take it. The other issue I'm left with is what VE table would be the closest to start with for a LM4 setup on an E40 ECU.

I compared my current Fuel data to an 04 Rainier with a 5.3 (LM4) and it's not even close.... None of the tables are....
    injector offset.png

VE table from 2005-2006 5.3L Trailblazer/Envoy, with the same E40 maybe?

Still need to know if you have a referenced return style fuel system (regulator with a vacuum hose), or returnless (fixed fuel pressure all the time, no vacuum hose to anything).

The 'stock LM4' file has referenced, return style injector data. Your file has injector data for a returnless system. Not talking about the specific numbers, but rather how one slopes higher as you go from left to right and the other is flat all the way across.

Tuner in Training
    Right now I have Referenced. But when I install the Holley Fuel Rail I will be going Non-Referenced. For the interim, I can just plug the vacuum line to the FPR and tune for Non-Referenced because that makes the most sense for my long term goals. I took a 2004 Buick Rainier Gen 3 File and Copied it the best I could into Gen 4 Format. What do you think?

BTW I just want to thank you for being extremely helpful. It's very difficult these days to run into someone who gives a crap to help a stranger. It shows your character... thank you....

Canyon Correct INJ DATA.hpt

04 LM4 Buick Rainier.hpt

The 'INJ DATA' file has flat tables, like for referenced.

Canyon Correct INJ DATA - returnless.hpt

I used 2006 LM7 file as the source, since that's 58psi & returnless with the same injector. Short Pulse Adder doesn't transfer over due to the different axis labels, I didn't spend a ton of time on that one but in graph form it's basically the same shape as the original.

Senior Tuner
    I'm very surprised that a automatic E40 is providing speedo on a manual truck.

Blindsquirl did you catch that?
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuner in Training
    The entire cluster works great lol.

Not a single one of the non-base-OS segments is still original Trailblazer, they've all been changed to something else. The VSS DTCs P0502/P0503 are also enabled, where they never are on the autos. They must be doing their own custom calibration soup thing specific for these trucks.

Tuner in Training
    From what i got from the material it just has to be an e40 ecu. That ecu has the ability to talk with the other modules on the canbus. It probably is soup but i just wished the guy slapped a gen 3 ecu in it and just ran autometer or aem gauges. The only thing the canyon doesnt have is a oil pressure gauge which i had to install myself.

What Alvin's getting at is, an auto trans E40 with an auto trans ECM OS isn't capable of reading a hardwired VSS, it will only read vehicle speed coming in over CAN from a TCM. A manual trans ECM OS is needed for the VSS pins to do anything. But yours has had so many segments swapped in from something else that the auto-ECM thing isn't a factor in that anymore.

Tuner in Training
    What current performance was saying is it has the OS of a manual trans gto. I have to verify but it should go directly to the ecu. I asked them for a wiring diagram. But looking at the e40 gto connector c1 the vss goes right to it. Pin 21

Screenshot_20240409_180735_Chrome.jpg
    Last edited by ninjaguy; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:10 PM.

Nope, sorry. From your tune file:

screenshot.09-04-2024 17.41.17.png

12612557 is a truck OS, never used in the GTO or anything else. Envoy/TB/Rainier/SSR/Ascender/etc. The GTO OS is 12604792 (or 12603159, an old/outdated one). Your VIN 5th digit is S, means 2WD GMT360/370. I have a 2006 Envoy 5.3, I know what you have there and what's been monkeyed with and what's no longer truck segments.

And a hardwired VSS only works for you because the OS has been so heavily modified. If it still had all the original truck segments the hardwired VSS would not work.

Tuner in Training
    This is the site that explains what is needed for the swap and explains a bit about it.
    https://currentperformance.com/shop/...suzu-i-series/
    I just wanted to get my fueling squared. The harness from them is actually pretty damn good. Everything is labeled and has Brand New OE Connectors. Either way I bought the truck with the swap done. I'm fixing the gremlins around the truck and trying to correct the tune. For helping with that I can't thank you enough. What ever they did with segments here and there I'm unsure but it works. I had them send my the original tune file and it's labeled the original owners name with SSR at the end. All the questions I answered from what customer service told me via phone. The only decent information I got was via email from there Technical Support Staff. What Segments did they change that your talking about for this ECU? From what I know they some how use the LM4 throttle pedal and the 3 bolt Throttle body on this E40 PCM. I emailed there Technical support staff for a wiring diagram. I'm fixing the Injector data tonight.

Tuner in Training
    I changed the injector data and still no change and running 14.0-14.7 lean at WOT.