Thread: 2019 Nissan Titan XD 5.0 Cummins Did I kill my ECM?

Potential Tuner

2019 Nissan Titan XD 5.0 Cummins Did I kill my ECM?

Hey all,

Just grabbed a used Titan XD. Went to pull the factory calibration/file to start tinkering with, but after starting the read and about 1-2 minutes in I got a "Timed out" error in VCM editor, and consequently the truck now has "4WD Error" and "Key System Error" on the dash. When I pull DTCs, I get U0100---ECM/PCM lost connection. Sounds like the ECM ate it in the middle of the read. Anyway to recover?
    If not, anyone know what process I need to go through to replace the ECM?

Thanks!

Potential Tuner
    Haul it to Nissan and put a new computer and have them reflash it. You need the Nissan security cable: or it will brick it.

Tuner in Training
    You can use a generic J2345 pass through (like a tactrix openport or similar) and the Nissan Ners software to reflash the standard file. The Nissan Ners software is $425USD but if you hunt around you can find "free" versions online. But they are a bit out of date, and you'll still need to download an original file from Nissans online service (about $30usd from memory). Don't bother emailing HP support, they will do nothing for you.

Potential Tuner
    Can you elaborate on this security cable? I can't seem to locate anything on this, nor how it would integrate with the MPVI3. I have noticed EZLynk's have an option for the "unlock" cable that Cummins uses, but I have nothing of the sort for HPT.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben. View Post
    You can use a generic J2345 pass through (like a tactrix openport or similar) and the Nissan Ners software to reflash the standard file. The Nissan Ners software is $425USD but if you hunt around you can find "free" versions online. But they are a bit out of date, and you'll still need to download an original file from Nissans online service (about $30usd from memory). Don't bother emailing HP support, they will do nothing for you.
    Long story short, I ended up having the dealer install a new ECM, and flash it accordingly. Their diagnosis indicate the ECM was dead-dead... unresponsive dead. Once they received the new one, it took them a while to understand what all the NERS/CONSULT III was asking them to provide as far as specific parameters associated with the Cummins. Primarily the injector trim codes.

Either way, truck is alive again, but I would like to use HPT to pull the factory calibration and begin looking into all the parameters and see if there is a way to eek out some more performance and fix the terrible pedal response... among other things. Though it seems like HPT may not be the best option at this point, especially considering I don't want to fork out another $3k for an ECM.

Tuner in Training
    Did they give you the old ECM? I went through the same issue as you and although it appears to be dead (scan tool wouldn't communicate etc), the OEM tool was able to complete a successful flash. If you've got the ECM, try it. I believe the root cause of the issue is that the ECM goes into essentially boot mode and if anything fails it just gets stuck there. It needs to complete the process and go through some sort of verification or validation before it starts working again.

As for tuning, after recovering it with NERS, I ended up flashing it via BDM with a kess3. If you want to use HPtuners, have the ignition on, make sure EVERYTHING electrical is turned off, A/C fan, lights, radio etc, make sure you have a good battery charger on it, and turn the hazard lights on to stop any power saving mode from turning the ignition off. Even then I wouldn't completely trust it... but I've been scarred 😂