Thread: Stock 5.3 help

Tuner in Training

Stock 5.3 help

Just got the first jeep i ever built back and the 4.8 was siezed. i found a stock 5.3 to replace it and tried to use the 4.8 tune. The original tune that was on the 4.8 (stock motor) was created by pacific fabrication ~15 years ago and ran fine. I fired the truck up with the 5.3 and that tune and it acted haywire, high idle, when the throttle was applied it would idle up really high and stay there etc The 4.8 did have a MAF which i question being good.

Now with the 5.3 I downloaded a stock tune from the repository and did a compare and mashed the files together to see if that would clean up some of the odd issues. It helped a tad bit but the high idle issue and hte rev the thorttle and the idle hang really high is still there. it sounds like its running a little smoother with the 5.3 tune. I want this to be a SD tune and ditch the MAF. check out the attached tune files for the 4.8, the newly created 5.3 and scan from it idling just for a few seconds and let me know if something obvious is showing up. Im savvy with adjusting a tune (i do it on my race truck all the time) but have no experience working from scratch...run 1.hplPacFab Tune.hptInitial Tune Try.hpt

Set the 3 MAF dtc's to MIL on first error and uncheck the SES boxes. That will put it into speed density mode with the MAF fail high hz already set to 0hz.

Put a stock 5.3 VE table in there if you haven't yet.

Check for any vacuum leaks too.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    aaaand big vacuum leak, also had them set to mil on second. I switched them to mil on first no change, found a vacuum port that i forgot to plug, runs like a top. thank you sir!